[Can't confirm] Massm2 bug with 47i?

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Postby Xaser » Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:11 pm

I tried to get MM2 today, but when it was halfway done, it saved the zip file to my computer, unfinished, said that zip #1 has been downloaded, or something like that, and stops. Now I have an mm2 zip that is corrupt. What happened? I've already waited 2 hours! what's going on?

[FUTURE-EDIT] For the record, the connection broke because my smoke signal timed out. Damn campfires are hard to keep lit, you know.
Last edited by Xaser on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Cyb » Mon Jul 21, 2003 5:14 pm

randy: excellent, heh, hopefully

xaser: uh, sounds like your connection to wherever you dled it from timed out, so the zip is incomplete. if you used a download manager like getright an ftp client (and server) that supports resume ,then you'll prolly be able to resume it, otherwise you'll have to grab it all over again :/
Cyb

Postby Xaser » Mon Jul 21, 2003 6:01 pm

I *HATE* Dialup. I guess i'll try to get it again tomorrow.

[FUTURE-EDIT] Is it tomorrow yet? Still feels like today, for some reason.
Last edited by Xaser on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Enjay » Tue Jul 22, 2003 4:43 am

If you're on dialup (like I am) I'd say it was essential to use a DL manager (I use Flash Get http://www.amazesoft.com/ ).

I don't bother with it for small files, but anything above 2 MB or so and I use it. It downloads the file by splitting it up into 5 bits and downloading all 5 bits simultaneously (helping the DL speed a little - but a slow 'phone connection is really the limiting factor), but the real benefit is being able to recover from broken downloads. When I got MM2, Flash Get retried loads of times in the time it took to get the file, including once being cut off totally when my connection dropped, yet the file still came in intact. Without a DL manager, each retry would have actually represented a failed download.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Xaser » Tue Jul 22, 2003 8:43 am

Sweet! :D Thanks, Enjay! I'm downloading FlashGet now. Just the ability to resume broken downloads is enough for me. I have this contraption hooked up to my modem that's supposed to put the internet on hold if somebody calls, but it just disconnects me, instead. You wouldn't believe how many downloads have been messed up because of somebody calling. I hope FlashGet will fix that problem. Thanks again!

[FUTURE-EDIT] FlashGet (and later GetRight) saved my life, honestly. That phone-switcher 'contraption' never worked, either... damn dialup.
Last edited by Xaser on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Sphagne » Tue Jul 22, 2003 10:04 am

Heh, we poor dialuppers, Enjay, do you think that because we are dialuppers we can not save these pages?
Sphagne
Just me, nothing more

Postby cccp_leha » Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:23 am

Shit, this must be the most interesting/funniest TC of the millenium or something. No crashes or anything, but it was kinda annoying when I idclip'd and forgot that my p was bound to "puke 2", so I had to restart the Linguini Factory. Other than that screw-up on my behalf, it was a wonderful and enchanting experience. Thank you Cyb, you made my Monday/Tuesday.
cccp_leha
Words are silver; silence is gold... so stfu.

Postby Xaser » Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:22 am

All hail MassMouth2, the greatest doom TC in the universe!!! I had a blast playing it, and actually made it through without cheating (unless you consider constantly reloading savegames a cheat). :shock: The 3 hardest things in the TC were:
1- The room at the end of level 9 (The Guide) that was filled with raptors and trees. Took me forever to beat (I didn't cheat, either).
2- The crushing trap in level 10 (Texas Linguine Foundation). Finally figured out that if a space turns brown then that means it is safe (i think).
3- In level 13 (Space Station Romero), when you had to kill all the Ontra guys without letting the Worm die (Damn chaingunners kept killing me).

I don't see why Cyb thinks the boss is so hard (he states this in the text file). If you find weapon7 in level 13, shoot three shots, and his body dies, then use the rapid fire shotgun to kill him. Easy. 8-) It was definately worth the 3 hours to download. My two favorite levels were the Texas Linguine Foundation and the Secret level (I loved Who wants the Flaming Death). I thout it was hilarious when Linguica said "You Fag, I'll kill you for killing me!", because it sounded so stupid, the way he said it. Also liked when Carmack got railed. Anyway, Nice TC! If Massmouth 3 is as good as number 2, I'll probably soil myself when it's ready!!! :D

EDIT: Accidentally put Texas Linguine Factory by mistake! Thank god for the edit feature.

[FUTURE-EDIT] It sure is good I didn't spoil any details of the wad! That would have been terribly inconsiderate of me.
Last edited by Xaser on Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Cyb » Wed Jul 23, 2003 3:00 pm

Xaser wrote:All hail MassMouth2, the greatest doom TC in the universe!!! I had a blast playing it, and actually made it through without cheating (unless you consider constantly reloading savegames a cheat).

nah, I encourage savegames in massm2 in fact (and the wad saves for you quite a few times, though mainly to save you from sitting through a cutscene again)
Xaser wrote::shock: The 3 hardest things in the TC were:
1- The room at the end of level 9 (The Guide) that was filled with raptors and trees. Took me forever to beat (I didn't cheat, either).

Yeah, I always died there during testing, it actually used to be harder with like 2 extra raptors and the trees weren't quite so forgiving (a lot easier to get stuck)
Xaser wrote:2- The crushing trap in level 10 (Texas Linguine Foundation). Finally figured out that if a space turns brown then that means it is safe (i think).

yep, that's exactly what they mean :) actually I find if you just run in a circle without stopping it becomes somewhat easy (but it's mostly based on luck)

Xaser wrote:3- In level 13 (Space Station Romero), when you had to kill all the Ontra guys without letting the Worm die (Damn chaingunners kept killing me).

That also used to be harder, heh, I cut out two monsters from each spawn, and actually you don't even have to save him (heck you can kill him yourself if you want), as that plays into the multiple endings.

Xaser wrote:I don't see why Cyb thinks the boss is so hard (he states this in the text file). If you find weapon7 in level 13, shoot three shots, and his body dies, then use the rapid fire shotgun to kill him. Easy. 8-)

Well, finding weapon7 is a secret, so I don't count it. he is indeed easy with it, but if you don't have it he's a lot tougher, especially with all the other crap around.

Xaser wrote:It was definately worth the 3 hours to download. My two favorite levels were the Texas Linguine Foundation and the Secret level (I loved Who wants the Flaming Death). I thout it was hilarious when Linguica said "You Fag, I'll kill you for killing me!", because it sounded so stupid, the way he said it. Also liked when Carmack got railed. Anyway, Nice TC! If Massmouth 3 is as good as number 2, I'll probably soil myself when it's ready!!! :D

Heh, thanks, glad you enjoyed it, and your comments/compliments are most appreciated. I dunno if I'll ever make #3 though, it's certainly possible, but I don't have any plans for in anytime soon. I am working on other, much smaller scale projects though :)
Cyb

Postby Xaser » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:17 pm

I've played the wad a few times, and indeed have seen all three endings, as well as taking both of the different paths in level 11, which still lead to the same place anyway, even though map12 is played differently. I still need to find all 7 secrets, though (found 4 out of 7, according to the end credits).

BTW, nice selection of music! They fit the levels quite well! Also, the secret level has inspired me to create a wad that is very strange and unusual... But not until Danger Zone is finished.

Cyb wrote:I am working on other, much smaller scale projects though :)

Oh well, tell me when the smaller ones are done.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Xaser » Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:19 pm

Oh, I tested it out with 47i, BTW, and have confirmed that it crashes normally unless you start it in a window first. Very strange. Oh, well, as long as it works!
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Cyb » Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:28 pm

Xaser wrote:Oh, I tested it out with 47i, BTW, and have confirmed that it crashes normally unless you start it in a window first. Very strange. Oh, well, as long as it works!

yes, I'm quite familiar with that crash (though I didn't notice it as soon as I could have since I play zdoom in a window), but randy has fixed it, so stuff'll work normally in 2.0.48
Cyb

Postby cccp_leha » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:25 am

Three endings? I found 5...
cccp_leha

Postby Hirogen2 » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:44 am

Which 5? Eh, and somebody could please tell me where the entrance to the secret level is?
Hirogen2

Github ID: jengelh
Operating System: RedHat-like Linux (RHEL, Fedora, CentOS, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Postby cccp_leha » Thu Jul 24, 2003 7:55 am

Well, for the secret level, I found that the most effective way to get there is IDCLEV 31 :), but maybe that wasn't the intention...The 5 endings are:
  • Worm gets killed, you join Romero
  • Worm gets killed, you kill Romero
  • Worm lives, you join Romero
  • Worm lives, you kill Romero
  • Worm lives, you kill him AND Romero

where the first two are if you don't save the Worm in "Space Station Romero".
cccp_leha

PreviousNext

Return to Closed Bugs