[Not a bug] D'Sparil & specialaction_killmonsters

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
LilWhiteMouse

D'Sparil & specialaction_killmonsters

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

Is D'Sparil suppost to kill all monsters on a level without use of specialaction_killmonsters in the relevant mapinfo?

This is the mapinfo entry for the level I'm using the actor in:

Code: Select all

map map02 "Ruined Town"
NoIntermission
sky1 SKY2 0
sky2 SKY3 0
lightning
FallingDamage
music GATHERFA
dsparilspecial
specialaction_lowerfloor
cluster 1
When I kill it, all the remaining monsters in the level are gibbed.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

DSparil kills the monsters in a different place than all other monster special actions - even without any MAPINFO special. As you discovered right now this behavior cannot be changed.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Yes, as you have discovered, D'Sparil always kills all monsters on a level, regardless of which level he is on, or which game he is being used in. Always been that way to my knowledge. To change this would break older WADs. A way round it would be to include a MAPINFO entry to specifcally prevent this behaviour.

As an aside, I used D'Sparil's "kill monsters" ability to get him to run a script when he dies. Or rather, I attached a script to a Zombieman in a hidden sector. When D'Sparil died, so did the Zombie, and the script was run. I know there are other ways of getting a script to run when D'Sparil's second stage dies, but that's one way, and it seems to work well.
Lexus Alyus

Post by Lexus Alyus »

Mmm, that's not a bad idea... As for the map info to prevent it... that sounds logical.

:twisted:
LilWhiteMouse

Post by LilWhiteMouse »

I'll just cut out the actors area into it's own level then, easy enough. I just thought it rather odd that if that was it's native behaviour then what was the point of specialaction_killmonsters in heretics's mapinfo? Oh well, you win some, you lose some.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

LilWhiteMouse wrote:what was the point of specialaction_killmonsters in heretics's mapinfo?

...to put it on other monsters...?
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

LilWhiteMouse wrote:what was the point of specialaction_killmonsters in heretics's mapinfo?
For the maulators. Put some on E3M8 in Heretic, and killing all the maulators will kill all the other monsters, too.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”