[Fixed] Fireballs going through walls.

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Fireballs going through walls.

Postby Anonymous » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:31 am

I'm not sure if no one has ever noticed this before, or if it's just something that comes with ZDoom, or maybe there's a simple way of turning it off that I don't know about, but in ZDoom, fireballs, monsters' lines of sight, and player weapons go right through solid impassible walls if there is a room on both sides. I could understand this if the wall was transparent with a texture to block lines of sight, but not an impassible wall. Why is this like this? It's not like this in original Doom.
This is one of the things that has kept me from using ZDoom more than I could (because otherwise it's awesome), because in some levels, there are fireballs coming out of walls, monsters being alerted all over the place, and I can't see a single one of them.
Can someone tell me why this issue has never been addressed?

Attatched is a picture to illustrate what I mean.

Room A is two rooms with a solid impassible line dividing them.

Room B is two rooms with a transparent (textures or no textures) line dividing them.

In both cases, monsters can shoot and see through the walls in ZDoom.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Anonymous

Postby Biff » Sun Dec 07, 2003 2:53 am

This sounds like a wad design error, unless the author wanted to torment the player. Impassible lines do not block projectiles, they just block the player and the monster bodies themselves. If such a line has a "solid" main texture, that will prevent you from seeing what's behind the line but won't prevent monsters from targeting you.

If you set, by script, this line to "block everything", then it will do so. For example, for a line with ID number 16:
setlineblocking (16, BLOCK_EVERYTHING);
Biff
Caleb is back for a visit

Re: Fireballs going through walls.

Postby HotWax » Sun Dec 07, 2003 5:53 am

sandmann999 wrote:It's not like this in original Doom.

Yes it is.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Enjay » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:01 am

Biff wrote:If you set, by script, this line to "block everything"

There is a block everything flag too. I don't remember it always being there, so I don't know how many editors have it, but DeePsea has the option.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Graf Zahl » Sun Dec 07, 2003 6:14 am

WadAuthor is too old but anything that's up to date should certainly have it available.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Xaser » Sun Dec 07, 2003 9:14 am

Use Doom Builder for all your level editing needs.
Xaser
anarchivist

Postby Biff » Sun Dec 07, 2003 10:01 am

Nigel - Thanks and a quick look into DeePsea reveals that the flag number is 8001 for "impassible" plus "block all". I don't know if one needs the impassible flag set in this case. Impassible flag is 0001, block all is 8000.

Graf - WA will allow you to place this flag by the "edit raw data" dialog box for a line. Not as convenient, but...
Biff
Caleb is back for a visit

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 09, 2003 2:53 am

HotWax wrote:
sandmann999 wrote:It's not like this in original Doom.

Yes it is.

Not quite. I've played levels in regular Doom (using Doom95) and it didn't have this problem. They were percieved as just regular walls, monsters couldn't see through them, couldn't shoot through them, and when I shot at the walls, my weapons impacted on them like normal. But when I played the same levels in ZDoom, monsters could see through these walls, their projectiles passed through them, and I could shoot what was on the other side of them.
Anonymous

Postby Anonymous » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:14 am

Xaser wrote:Use Doom Builder for all your level editing needs.

Wow...this program rocks. :) Thanks.
Anonymous

Postby SargeBaldy » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:39 am

sandmann999 wrote:
Xaser wrote:Use Doom Builder for all your level editing needs.

Wow...this program rocks. :) Thanks.
Another satisfied customer :) Just watch out for all the bugs -_-
SargeBaldy
my password is grapefruit6

Postby HotWax » Tue Dec 09, 2003 3:58 am

sandmann999 wrote:Not quite. I've played levels in regular Doom (using Doom95) and it didn't have this problem. They were percieved as just regular walls, monsters couldn't see through them, couldn't shoot through them, and when I shot at the walls, my weapons impacted on them like normal. But when I played the same levels in ZDoom, monsters could see through these walls, their projectiles passed through them, and I could shoot what was on the other side of them.

You don't know what you're talking about. Any line in Doom that was 2-sided allowed monsters to see through it and weapons to pass through it, impassible or not, since the game was released. Not behaving that way would be an error. ZDoom added the block_everything flag to allow map designers a way to create a "solid" wall that could block weapons fire for this very purpose.
HotWax

Postby Chris » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:03 am

I think he means having the 2-Sided flag clear, not having the Impassible flag set. I don't know how it's supposed to react if there's two sides on a linedef, but the 2S flag isn't set.
Chris

Postby HotWax » Tue Dec 09, 2003 4:11 am

I think something on the order of:

"ERROR: The author of this map deserves a bleach enema."

would be in order.
HotWax

Postby Graf Zahl » Tue Dec 09, 2003 6:54 am

Chris wrote:I think he means having the 2-Sided flag clear, not having the Impassible flag set. I don't know how it's supposed to react if there's two sides on a linedef, but the 2S flag isn't set.

In this case hitscan weapons cannot penetrate the wall but projectiles can. Zdoom handles both cases correctly.
Graf Zahl

Postby Lexus Alyus » Tue Dec 09, 2003 8:35 am

Did some one say Aenima? (Yes, I beleive that is the correct spelling).

Anyway, this should just be (Not a bug) cus it's... not a bug... its' not even a doom bug! The situations where such walls were used were to create the idea that projectiles were coming out of the wall... it is also used to allow you to shoot through a railing, so, making this block everything will break all compatibilty and you won't be able to shoot through fences and stuff (midbars).

Secondly, like everyone has said, Zdoom allready has this.

Lastly, why the hell would this put you off Zdoom even if it didn't have the flag? So, it puts you off every other doom port too? Maybe even Doom itself? Silly person...

:twisted:
Lexus Alyus
One day, I may actually release something...

Next

Return to Closed Bugs