[Not a bug] Cannot load external wads in 2.047

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Anonymous

Cannot load external wads in 2.047

Post by Anonymous »

I want to start by saying how inpressed I am with ZDoom. I am playing again for the first time in about 5 years and I am loving it. However, I cannot load any external wads - just the ones that came with Final Doom. I am using commands listed in the documentation in an earlier version of ZDoom to no avail. The command "-file" is not recognized. Help! I have a bunch of wads I would love to run through again!
Mighty Duck X-treme

Post by Mighty Duck X-treme »

With Zdoom you load the pwads with the -file parameter.

Type...
  • Zdoom.exe -file firstwad.wad secondwad
...in a dosprompt or create a .bat file with that text string.

Make sure that both ZDoom and the pwads you're playing are in the same directory as the one where you're playing Doom from.

If that doesn't work, use the ZDoom Launcher instead. It is easier and faster to load pwads that way.
Last edited by Mighty Duck X-treme on Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

You can load wads without -file now. You're probably just doing something wrong, because that method has not been removed AFAIK. Try this instead: "zdoom path/file.wad" (eliminates -file and lets you get right to specifying what wads you want to load).

You may also place a shortcut to ZDoom on your desktop and simply drag and drop wads onto that (or even directly onto ZDoom.exe itself) to load them.

Both of these options have been available since the early 1.23 betas, if I remember correctly.
Last edited by Ultraviolet on Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Mighty Duck X-treme wrote:With Zdoom you load the pwads with the -file parameter.
Look at his title-text, will you? He's been at it since 1994.
Mighty Duck X-treme

Ultraviolet wrote:Look at his title-text, will you? He's been at it since 1994.
I'm trying my best to help this guy out.
Last edited by Mighty Duck X-treme on Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

I find the accusation that I am trolling to be entirely baseless. I meant to point out that he has been playing Doom since 1994 and so he probably understands how to use the -file command-line parameter, so you might just be insulting his intelligence. I don't think that my intent was unclear.
Mighty Duck X-treme

Ultraviolet wrote:I find the accusation that I am trolling to be entirely baseless. I meant to point out that he has been playing Doom since 1994 and so he probably understands how to use the -file command-line parameter, so you might just be insulting his intelligence. I don't think that my intent was unclear.
Good point, I'm sorry.

The ZDoom Launcher (which always works for me) would probably be easier for him to use, IMHO.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Meh, a launcher is like a middleman... it's just more software to clutter things up. ZDoom's command-line isn't really all that different from vanilla's, aside from a few new features. It's the same concept for anybody who's ever used a command-line, and since this guy has been messing with Doom since '94 (before Win95), he probably had to get out into DOS to play it, and therefore probably has some command-line experience.

One may also find that, if you ask a lot of doomers, the only reason some of them know any command line stuff is because of Doom. I think there was a poll on DW a while back asking about that...
Mighty Duck X-treme

Gee, I guess I'm terrible at giving out advice. -_-
Last edited by Mighty Duck X-treme on Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

Don't get yourself down about it. More often than not in terms of technical advice (around here anyway, it has been proven a few times) it is best to assume that the inquisitor doesn't know what's going on. 9 times out of 10, your advice would have been helpful. I just happened to pick up on a clue indicating that this was not one of those times.

Heh, lacking a response from the person who started this thread so far, we have yet to find out whether he has a clue or not about loading wads.

Post by Guest »

Well I think you guys did it to death :P
pritch

Post by pritch »

Anonymous wrote:Well I think you guys did it to death :P
That was me btw.

o_O
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

pritch wrote:
Anonymous wrote:Well I think you guys did it to death :P
That was me btw.

o_O
Did what to death, and what was you?
Mighty Duck X-treme

The guest who said we did it to death -___-
Last edited by Mighty Duck X-treme on Fri Jul 18, 2003 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cccp_leha

Post by cccp_leha »

BUT, since win95 was out in 94, it was impossible for the guest to know whether you guys did it to death or not...yeah...anyways, it is likely the wad the guy is trying to use is for a different Doom, say Doom or Doom II, because he did mention Final Doom...kinda like running Cyb's Massmouth with Doom I and complaining about how the levels don't work :)

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”