[Won't fix] Obituary strings

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Obituary strings

Postby wildweasel » Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:46 pm

Okay, I've got an interesting thing here...

I've hacked up my Super Shotgun so it fires a normal Shotgun and a Rocket at the same time. In deathmatch, the weapon should have three obituary messages.

OB_MPSHOTGUN, which displays if the player is killed by the shotgun spread
OB_MPROCKET (don't remember the actual string), which displays if the kill is made by a direct hit from the rocket, and
OB_MPR_SPLASH, which should display if the player is killed by rocket splash damage.

However, my problem is this: I know these are properly typed in my DEH patch, but when a player is killed by splash damage, it still displays the direct hit message. What's the problem?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Enjay » Wed Jul 16, 2003 4:34 am

Some time ago I noticed a few strings get reported as "Unknown" in the console when you start the game with a dehacked patch that tries to change them. Check the console immediately after you start to see if your string is getting reported.

A quick check back through my e-mails found that I had found the following strings as not recognised. I thought Randy had fixed it though.

D_DEVSTR
D_CDROM
OB_R_SPLASH
OB_MPROCKET
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Xaser » Sat Jul 19, 2003 2:12 pm

The Obituary strings are very strange. I recently completed a brand-new weapons set which is based heavily on changing code pointers. I replaced the plasma gun with a super-fast chaingun that uses the chaingun's frames to shoot, yet it has two bugs. The first is that when you shoot the walls, there are no bullet holes :( , and the second is that if you kill somebody with it in Deathmatch Mode, the Obituary string says "Player 1 Died" Instead of "Player 1 was turned into swiss cheese by Player 2's Chaingun", which is what i changed the string to. :cry: (Where Player 1 and Player 2 are the names of the people playing the game) My point is, these obituary string are hard to change, unless you don't fiddle with code pointers, whitch makes Dehacked editing rather boring :) .
Xaser

Re: Obituary strings

Postby randi » Fri Oct 10, 2003 3:23 pm

wildweasel wrote:However, my problem is this: I know these are properly typed in my DEH patch, but when a player is killed by splash damage, it still displays the direct hit message. What's the problem?

OB_MPR_SPLASH isn't actually used anywhere. I think it will be easier to forget that it ever existed than to fix it.
randi
Site Admin

Postby Xaser » Fri Oct 10, 2003 4:25 pm

Dang, this is an old thread. Look, I posted here back when I was only a guest! Strange...
Xaser
anarchivist

Return to Closed Bugs