[Duplicate] weapon power bug

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Anonymous

weapon power bug

Post by Anonymous »

i have 2 versions of zdoom 1.22 and 2.0.52 i jsut downloaded 2.0.52 and found the rocket launcher feels a bit off. so i did some comparisons on level 7 with god mode on. on average it took 4 to 5 rockets to kill a mancubus with 1.22 and 3 to 4 for a archnotrons. where with version 2.0.52 a mancubus took on average just 2 rockets and arachnotrons 2 and often just one.

for 1.22 it took me 61 rockets to win. (i tried to aim good each time).
with 2.0.52 i did it with jsut 25.

have the weapon powers been dilberatly tweaked or is this a bug?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

AFAIK this bug has already been fixed for the next version.
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

What exactly has been changed? Has it been made so that rockets are more or less powerful?
Bio Hazard

Post by Bio Hazard »

i think it had to do with splash damage hitting a monster in all the subsectors which multiplied the damage or something...
HotWax

Post by HotWax »

Randy fixed a long-standing vanilla Doom blockmap bug which caused hitscan traces to not properly hit an enemy if the center of that enemy was in a different block than the point that was hit by the trace. In doing so, he inadvertantly caused a change to explosions which made them apply their damage in each block that an enemy was present in. So, if you shot a rocket at a Baron who was completely contained within a blockmap block, it would do normal damage. If that Baron was straddling four blocks, the rocket damage would be applied four times -- once in each block. This erroneous behavior will be fixed in 2.0.53, so the rocket will once again be doing its normal damage in all situations.
Malphas

Post by Malphas »

Didn't we all talk about this weird phenomenon some time earlier? :)
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

FYI, version .50 doesn't have this problem and you can get it from the ZDoom page on Sourceforge.net
Ultraviolet

Post by Ultraviolet »

I think that kind of behavior sounds rather interesting. Why not have seemingly random more powerful weapons? Heh, you could even go so far as to have BSP use a higher splitfactor (pardon me if I'm using the wrong term) to increase the chance of causing randomly higher damage to monsters with explosves.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Bad idea.

This kind of 'randomization' makes editing a real pain because it's impossible to get a decent balance. Plus, all weapons in Doom except the splash damage is already randomized.
Chilvence

Post by Chilvence »

Heh, its just typical that Im trying to balance Strife's exploding weapons using the one version of ZDoom that has an explosion bug....
randi
Site Admin

Post by randi »

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”