[Duplicate] weapon power bug

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

weapon power bug

Postby Anonymous » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:16 pm

i have 2 versions of zdoom 1.22 and 2.0.52 i jsut downloaded 2.0.52 and found the rocket launcher feels a bit off. so i did some comparisons on level 7 with god mode on. on average it took 4 to 5 rockets to kill a mancubus with 1.22 and 3 to 4 for a archnotrons. where with version 2.0.52 a mancubus took on average just 2 rockets and arachnotrons 2 and often just one.

for 1.22 it took me 61 rockets to win. (i tried to aim good each time).
with 2.0.52 i did it with jsut 25.

have the weapon powers been dilberatly tweaked or is this a bug?
Anonymous

Postby Graf Zahl » Mon Nov 10, 2003 6:28 pm

AFAIK this bug has already been fixed for the next version.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Ultraviolet » Mon Nov 10, 2003 10:40 pm

What exactly has been changed? Has it been made so that rockets are more or less powerful?
Ultraviolet
AKA "Faint"

Postby Bio Hazard » Mon Nov 10, 2003 11:02 pm

i think it had to do with splash damage hitting a monster in all the subsectors which multiplied the damage or something...
Bio Hazard
Lord of the Lord of Nitpicking.

Postby HotWax » Tue Nov 11, 2003 12:45 am

Randy fixed a long-standing vanilla Doom blockmap bug which caused hitscan traces to not properly hit an enemy if the center of that enemy was in a different block than the point that was hit by the trace. In doing so, he inadvertantly caused a change to explosions which made them apply their damage in each block that an enemy was present in. So, if you shot a rocket at a Baron who was completely contained within a blockmap block, it would do normal damage. If that Baron was straddling four blocks, the rocket damage would be applied four times -- once in each block. This erroneous behavior will be fixed in 2.0.53, so the rocket will once again be doing its normal damage in all situations.
HotWax
Do what you must, and pay the price later.

Postby Malphas » Tue Nov 11, 2003 1:51 am

Didn't we all talk about this weird phenomenon some time earlier? :)
Malphas
"Now I'm Nothing"

Postby Anonymous » Thu Nov 13, 2003 3:05 pm

FYI, version .50 doesn't have this problem and you can get it from the ZDoom page on Sourceforge.net
Anonymous

Postby Ultraviolet » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:17 pm

I think that kind of behavior sounds rather interesting. Why not have seemingly random more powerful weapons? Heh, you could even go so far as to have BSP use a higher splitfactor (pardon me if I'm using the wrong term) to increase the chance of causing randomly higher damage to monsters with explosves.
Ultraviolet
AKA "Faint"

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Nov 13, 2003 4:20 pm

Bad idea.

This kind of 'randomization' makes editing a real pain because it's impossible to get a decent balance. Plus, all weapons in Doom except the splash damage is already randomized.
Graf Zahl

Postby Chilvence » Thu Nov 13, 2003 6:18 pm

Heh, its just typical that Im trying to balance Strife's exploding weapons using the one version of ZDoom that has an explosion bug....
Chilvence
I had been waiting for Doomscript....

Postby randi » Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:35 pm

randi
Site Admin

Return to Closed Bugs