Model normals aren't interpolated

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Model normals aren't interpolated

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I've been hearing this a lot from people who haven't bothered with reporting this themselves, but animation interpolation seems to only interpolate vertex positions, but not normals. Taking a look at main.vp I can clearly see this being the case.

The lack of interpolation for normals causes lighting to look "choppy" when models are animating, as the normals "jump" each animation frame.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: Model normals aren't interpolated

Post by Rachael »

Marisa Kirisame wrote:I've been hearing this a lot from people who haven't bothered with reporting this themselves
Not to derail this, but ...

If people notice problems they themselves should always be at the forefront of reporting them. The people who experience the issues are always the ones who know the most about them, and when they use relays like us there's information degradation that occurs, oftentimes to a critical extent and it makes the issue unsolvable.

Whoever reported this to you is lucky that you understood the issue enough to report it on your own - but we really need to be encouraging people to file their own reports.

That being said however - the most obvious part of this whole issue still stands - we need a test sample.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I have known this myself (anyone with knowledge looking at the shader would see it immediately.) and even asked dpJudas about it. But ultimately we didn't deem this urgent enough. Of course if people really notice, it's a different thing...
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Pushed a fix for this.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”