[3.3.2] Model Interpolation capped in uncapped FPS.

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
StrikerMan780
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[3.3.2] Model Interpolation capped in uncapped FPS.

Post by StrikerMan780 »

For some reason, it seems model interpolation seems to interpolate at 35fps, even though it should be uncapped. It's also not smooth, it's very jittery in some cases.

Try Gene-Tech for example. (Link: viewtopic.php?f=47&t=46718) The Super Shotgun, Shotgun, and Machinegun have interpolation, and there's nothing about their frames in DECORATE that should make them jittery, but they are for some reason (especially in the idle and firing anims). Also, in my own mods, all of my models seem to be interpolating at 35fps, even though it should be looking much smoother. It's very jarring when combined with the uncapped weapon bob.
Nash

Re: [3.3.2] Model Interpolation capped in uncapped FPS.

Post by Nash »

I've reported this before but to be honest, I'm unsure if this is a bug or a missing feature...
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Models cannot "interpolate at 35 fps", because then they wouldn't interpolate at all! The entire point of interpolation is to get smoothed animations between those 35 fps points.

What I can see is that the model interpolation doesn't seem to be done correctly. Everything else is interpolated with the global frame timer, but the model code uses its own separate timing, and that has survived all the refactoring for making models work in the software renderer. In my opinion this cannot work correctly. (Note that this code was inherited from Zandronum, so I'd appreciate if Torr Samaho, if he reads this, can comment on the issue.)
StrikerMan780

Post by StrikerMan780 »

The visuals seem to be moving at 35fps, if I toggle cl_capfps, the behavior is identical. It will interpolate between frames of more than 1 tic in length (very shakily), but won't interpolate between 1-tic frames, regardless of the setting.
StrikerMan780

Post by StrikerMan780 »

As per Rachael's request, I'm gonna post the edits I made to GeneTech that fix a few derps with some weapons' states. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1s9-Lx ... d5bjZzQZoC
dpJudas

Post by dpJudas »

Pushed a fix for this.
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch

Post by Marisa the Magician »

I can confirm the fix works. All model animation is pretty smooth now, even on a low timescale.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”