error: Too many vertex shader storage blocks (1/0)

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
OvermindDL1

Post by OvermindDL1 »

Been a while since I've touched GZDoom (2.x days), tried it again on the same computer that I last ran it on, getting an interesting error. Relevant useful log data:

Code: Select all

GZDoom g3.3.2 - 2018-04-12 21:44:48 +0200 - SDL version
Compiled on Apr 14 2018

Using video driver x11
GL_VENDOR: X.Org
GL_RENDERER: AMD CYPRESS (DRM 2.43.0 / 4.4.0-124-generic, LLVM 7.0.0)
GL_VERSION: 4.3 (Core Profile) Mesa 18.1.0-devel - padoka PPA (Core profile)
GL_SHADING_LANGUAGE_VERSION: 4.30

Max. texture size: 16384
Max. texture units: 16
Max. varying: 128
Max. combined shader storage blocks: 4
Max. vertex shader storage blocks: 0
Unable to load shader Default:
Init Shader 'Default':
Linking:
I do have a very old AMD Radeon 5870 GPU, but it can run anything else that I've thrown at it with no issue, however GZDoom is just crashing, specifically because it looks like it is trying to allocate a vertex shader storage block when just a few lines higher in the log it explicitly wrote that there are `0` "Max. vertex shader storage blocks", so something is acting a bit funky there...

Here is the glxinfo extension dump:
Spoiler:
And yeah, no issues running even very recent linux-native games as long as they don't use Vulkan (this old card does not support Vulkan).
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: error: Too many vertex shader storage blocks (1/0)

Post by Graf Zahl »

The error is caused by the driver only supporting shader storage blocks in the fragment shader but not the vertex shader. Some features will have to be bumped down to the next lowest level to make it work.
OvermindDL1

Post by OvermindDL1 »

Graf Zahl wrote:The error is caused by the driver only supporting shader storage blocks in the fragment shader but not the vertex shader. Some features will have to be bumped down to the next lowest level to make it work.
I figured, it looks like the current setup relies on the pixel shader storage blocks being there or neither being there, dropping down is fine, I don't expect grandiose with this card (I only keep it because as I program GL work if it works for me then it should work for near everyone except ancient Intel cards...). I see it was just fixed at https://github.com/coelckers/gzdoom/com ... 91b4eb3ecf and Oh Hey GZDoom uses CMake, I might be able to build this then, let me give it a try...
OvermindDL1

Post by OvermindDL1 »

Oh I have to say that is a nice clean build, major props for whoever setup the CMake system there, as well as I only saw a couple of uninitialized variable warnings! After dealing with some ancient horrors lately this is just downright beautiful!

Testing it out now... and Beautiful! Looks great now, thanks for the fix!

I am curious, why not enable the issue tracker on the github repo, I attempted to report it there first and ended up spending an hour figuring out where to report bugs (I kind of forgot forums are a thing anymore... >.>). :-)
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

OvermindDL1 wrote:I am curious, why not enable the issue tracker on the github repo, I attempted to report it there first and ended up spending an hour figuring out where to report bugs (I kind of forgot forums are a thing anymore... >.>). :-)
It's better to have everything in one place, and GZDoom (and its parent project ZDoom) *LONG* predate Git's popularity or usage in the project. Getting everyone to move to Github would be, to say the least, a pain in the butt, especially people who don't code or have any reason to have a real account there.

What's good for the goose isn't good for the gander - it might be convenient for you, but it's not convenient for the greater majority of our users here - and having two trackers is inconvenient for us developers. So the forum wins out, no question.

To tell you the truth though - if this project had started after Github's popularity though and used Git originally - we probably would be using their tracker instead of the forum - for many reasons.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

We tried different trackers, and the forum won by popular vote. End of story.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”