"No DM starts" warning in Phobia: The Age

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
SiFi270

"No DM starts" warning in Phobia: The Age

Post by SiFi270 »

Maybe it's not just Phobia but wads meant for Legacy in general but I can't think of any other Legacy wads to try. I know this wad used to work with GZD and I'm not sure when it stopped.

I'm not doing anything differently from when I start a single player game in anything else, but it still just sends me to the console with the message in the thread title. Using the "map" command to try somewhere else has the same result up to map08, after which the vanilla Doom 2 levels are still available as usual, but they also default to DM even if I use the "coop" argument at the end of my command.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Re: "No DM starts" warning in Phobia: The Age

Post by Rachael »

Have you updated to the latest version of GZDoom?

Also do you have a link to the said mapset?
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

There are no multiplayer starts at all in this mod so the message is hardly surprising.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Graf Zahl wrote:There are no multiplayer starts at all in this mod so the message is hardly surprising.
If I'm understanding the report correctly, these warnings are also appearing in single player and coop?
Kotti

Post by Kotti »

The message this is about only appears when playing deathmatch. Check G_DeathmatchSpawnPlayer in g_game.cpp.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

wildweasel wrote:
Graf Zahl wrote:There are no multiplayer starts at all in this mod so the message is hardly surprising.
If I'm understanding the report correctly, these warnings are also appearing in single player and coop?
Which is why my question is pertinent. I fixed a bug recently (with my own code) and that fix appeared in the latest GZDoom versions. However, if the OP for whatever reason refuses to update, I can't be assed to fix a bug in an old version, especially if it's already been fixed in the newer ones, anyway.

I do really need to know, however, if the bug persists even in 3.2.5, because then it means a compatibility setting will be required.
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

The problem is still persist with the latest code.

Dehacked patch removes friendly flag from player thing. This condition triggers usage of deathmatch starts.
Not sure this can be fixed with existing compatibility options.
SiFi270

Post by SiFi270 »

If it's still necessary after _mental_ seems to have reached a conclusion, I am indeed using 3.2.5 and the link to the wad is here.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Thank you for the link.
Kotti

Post by Kotti »

If I understand this correctly it would affect any Dehacked based mod which modifies the player's flags. Setting 'friendly' for a player is a ZDoom addition so this flag must be protected from modification by Dehacked.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

ZzZombo

Post by ZzZombo »

Why do unfriendly players even get the special treatment for spawning? IMO since now such players have a defined meaning, you shouldn't force them stay friendly just for the sake of a god-knows-why added dirty hack.
Rachael

Post by Rachael »

Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

ZzZombo wrote:Why do unfriendly players even get the special treatment for spawning? IMO since now such players have a defined meaning, you shouldn't force them stay friendly just for the sake of a god-knows-why added dirty hack.
The "god-knows-why-added dirty hack" is called Dehacked. Appearently you haven't read everything. Original Doom does not have any concept of unfriendly players, so any Dehacked patch that alters the player's flags will cause problems here. This needs to be dealt with by assuming that Dehacked is always based on Doom.exe's state of things, and that means here that the flag needs to be reset.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”