Default Settings

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Default Settings

Post by Guest »

Sorry if this isn't the right forum, but I have a laundry list of default settings that have irked me for a while, so I made a lil list of how I think they should be changed:

> Display Options
Lost Soul Translucency: 1.00 (from 0.75)*
Rocket Trails: Off (from Particles)

> Display Options > Hardware Rendering Options
Menu Blur: 0.00 (from -1.00?)
Has no effect, I know (I think??), but it freaks me out, man.

> Display Options > Texture Options
Texture Filter mode: None (from Trilinear)*
Anisotropic filter: Off (from 8x)

> HUD Options
Menu Dim 0.50 (from -1.00?)
Dim color: Black (from Yellow)
Speaking of which, can this be moved so it's next to the Menu Blur option? It seems weird that they're separated, and weirder still that the dim option is in the HUD menu. It seems more intuitive that they both be in the main Display Options menu.

> Hud Options > Scaling Options
Status bar: Scale to fullscreen (from Use default scale)
Fullscreen HUD: Scale to fullscreen (from Use default scale)

> Not a default setting, but is it possible to get another decimal place for the Contrast slider in the Display Options menu? When you slide it around with the mouse it's clear that there's a lot of play between the numbers shown, it'd be nice to see that and fine tune it.

That's about it I think, there's probably one or two things I'm forgetting.

Most of these changes are relatively minor, and should be quick and painless to change. The two options with the * at the end are the ones I feel most strongly about.
The reason I think any of this matters is the out-of-the box experience for new people. I'm old and my memory's a bit smooth noise, but if you'll indulge me for a moment:
Way back in the day I had heard about this new thing called Brutal Doom and I wanted to check it out, so I googled and googled and after many attempts got it running. ..but not very well.
So I played around with some options, checked out some youtubes, read some forums, etc.
After years of doing that, eventually I had a pretty firm grasp of how to manage wad/pk3/d3h files, deal with load orders, and most importantly configure GZDoom.
I never found a video that really detailed how to set GZDoom up properly and get custom WADs running, or how to get shaders working or anything like that. So seeing a gap in the market I decided to make one myself and chuck 'er on the youtubes.
And I did! a few of them! I try to keep them up to date, but I'm lazy. Anyway I get a lot of feedback on them, and some of that feedback is "this is better, why aren't these options default". Most of the time there's a good reason why it's not, but not in these cases, I believe.
And that's the story of why I made this post. I'm sorry for wasting your time with that little story, but thanks for reading it anyway.

I should also note that I greatly appreciate all the work everyone puts into GZDoom, and everything else that goes on around here. I'm not going to plug my twitch or anything here but believe me when I say I've spent countless hours enjoying the shit out of DOOM and other related media thanks to y'all. Big ups.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Default Settings

Post by Graf Zahl »

Get me 100 people and you will have 100 opinions about what these settings should be. What makes your preferences so special that they should be the defaults?
chunks
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by chunks »

Word, sorry I didn't think this posted so I tried posting again but I guess it did post but it logged me out before I posted it or something, I don't know.
Anyway, I'm sure you're right, everyone has an idea of what the settings should be, but I have reasons for these ones!
GOOD REASONS!! (I think)

Lost Soul Translucency:
True to Vanilla. Always #1. #2: This feels like a carry over from when it was a new thing, like "hey we can make lost souls transparent now, pretty neat eh?" and yeah it is cool, I'm glad that option is there. But lost souls should be opaque by default, just like god intended. They deal damage by slamming into you for Christ's sake.

Rocket Trails:
True to Vanilla. Ain't no particles in my great grand pappies DOS rockets, and it was good enough for him. Also it cuts down (however minorly) on system resources or whatever which is helpful for lower end systems, which is very important for out-of-the-box settings.

Menu Blur:
The -1 thing is just weird, you go to adjust the setting and it disappears. Not a huge deal it's just unintuitive.
Same thing with the Menu Dim, and you can't disagree that they should be in the same place. It just makes sense.

Texture Filtering Mode:
Out of the box this is just the worst. just smears the edges of everything, it's a really terrible filter. I get why people like it, jagged edges are scary and this makes everything look a bit more modern. But in game it's just awful. Especially if you apply any kind of resizing on top of that.. everything just gets that melted clay look. It's objectively bad. If nothing else, change this please. I beg.

Anisotropic filter:
Not much would noticeably change here really, except low end spec machines would see a lil bump in performance. Always a good thing.

Menu Dim:
Mentioned above, yellow to black isn't a huge deal, OG doom didn't have dimming at all if I remember correctly, so I felt just a black would be nice for readability instead of the bright yellow. It's just an annoying setting that always has to get changed, especially for those of us who play in dark rooms.

HUD Scaling Options
Scale to Fullscreen brings them more in line with the traditional size of the Doom HUD. As well it stops the stretching effect when you turn the HUD up to 11.
I seem to remember a few builds that had the old style split hud thing, that was cool. wish they brought that back as an option.

But yeah I'm not here to make demands or say my opinions are the right opinions, and I'm sure you don't want to open up a discussion on this matter because no doubt everyone has some feelings on this.
One thing I have that they don't though, is bribes; so what's it gonna take to make this happen? I've got tens of dollars just sitting in offshore accounts, waiting for the word.
Or if money isn't your thing... I can't offer much in the way of coding, but I own Photoshop and Premiere Pro and am a bit of a whiz when it comes to that stuff. Well not really, but I'm learning.
Eh that's really all I got, but it could all be yours!
Please?
Rachael
Admin
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I'm gonna be real with you here -

You aren't the first to come up with a "helpful list of defaults" like this, you certainly won't be the last.

I don't like GZDoom's defaults either but that's why I change them to fit my needs. Having options is great.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I haven't checked recently if this still works - but I suspect it does.

If you have a bare-bones file just called gzdoom.ini in your GZDoom folder, with only the options that you want to be different to the defaults, when you boot up GZDoom without your own username-ini, GZDoom will read from the gzdoom.ini file, use any values in there and then just use the distribution defaults for the rest when creating a new username-ini. In other words, it's reasonably easy to create your own personal default setup.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

Indeed, Been there, done that for 10+ years.
JPL

Post by JPL »

There's also the option of creating an autoexec.cfg that has your preferred defaults: https://zdoom.org/wiki/CCMDs#AutoExec

That's what I've been using for years now, and it means I don't really have to care what's in my gzdoom.ini, if deleted it will be regenerated from the prefs I set in the autoexec.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Also, pretty sure lost souls' renderstyle has been changed to opaque, so changing the default soultrans value is moot. It'd only affect custom actors.
22alpha22
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by 22alpha22 »

chunks wrote:Texture Filtering Mode:
Out of the box this is just the worst. just smears the edges of everything, it's a really terrible filter. I get why people like it, jagged edges are scary and this makes everything look a bit more modern. But in game it's just awful. Especially if you apply any kind of resizing on top of that.. everything just gets that melted clay look. It's objectively bad. If nothing else, change this please. I beg.
I can't emphasize this enough, this is YOUR opinion not everyone else's. Texture filtering does not make Doom look objectively bad or good. I grew up with Doom95 and in the mid 2000's moved to ZDoom so I know what it is like to play Doom without texture filtering. I started using GZDoom in 2009 or 2010 and after using it for awhile, I just could not go back to ZDoom or any other port for that matter without texture filtering. It is my opinion that texture filtering makes Doom look much better and I'm sure many people have a similar opinion just as I'm sure many people don't like it. A more legitimate argument for disabling texture filtering by default is that vanilla Doom did not have it. However even this argument can fall apart when you realize that GZDoom is not known for being a purist port but rather a port for pushing the limits of what the engine can do.
Rachael
Admin
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

There's really no need to dogpile this poor person.

I think what needs to be said has been said, let's at least leave them with their dignity intact.
chunks

Post by chunks »

Alright, thread unlocked, dignity still intact (for now). Lets rip and tear

I feel like maybe I didn't articulate myself properly.
I know I can carry over old .ini files, set up an autoexec.cfg, create batch files that'll get all of my settings just the way I like 'em each time. Honestly I kinda like setting up everything fresh each time, it helps me remember where everything is, and recognize when something's new or changed. And to be clear, I don't want to get rid of any options, the more options the better. The point of the default changes I'm proposing isn't for me specifically, it's to a) have the default settings be more intuitive and streamlined for the benefit of new and inexperienced users, and b) bring things more in line with vanilla Doom.

Gez wrote:Also, pretty sure lost souls' renderstyle has been changed to opaque, so changing the default soultrans value is moot. It'd only affect custom actors.
This is incorrect.

22alpha22 wrote:GZDoom is not known for being a purist port but rather a port for pushing the limits of what the engine can do.
I'll concede that the filtering thing may be slightly more opinion than purely objective observation :P And I'm all for GZDoom being able to push the engine to the limits, hell I think that's why we all use GZDoom in the fist place, but maybe all of those switches should be turned off by default... so people can flick them on one at a time not only to see more clearly what they do, but also to see how well their machine can handle it.

Again, I love you all and I'm sorry if I'm coming off like a pretentious jerk in any of this, sometimes I'm not so good with the tone of my text and things don't come across the way they do in my head.
Bring on the dogpile ;)
Gez

Post by Gez »

chunks wrote:
Gez wrote:Also, pretty sure lost souls' renderstyle has been changed to opaque, so changing the default soultrans value is moot. It'd only affect custom actors.
This is incorrect.
Try again.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

chunks wrote:but maybe all of those switches should be turned off by default...
Personally, and that's all this can ever be, I disagree. I actually really like how GZDoom is set up by default. From a clean install, I just need to change a couple of minor key binds, invert the Y axis of my mouse and I'm pretty much good to go. So, for me, the GZDoom defaults are pretty close to ideal.

But that's why there are so many options and different ways of preserving your own personal choices. I think Graf's original comment "Get me 100 people and you will have 100 opinions about what these settings should be." pretty much covers it. There isn't any one ideal and even finding one specific configuration that satisfies most of the people most of the time would be difficult. I'm simply not convinced that your suggestions (Lost Soul translucency not withstanding - but that has been changed, and it was done so following a discussion on these boards) would be any closer to that goal than what currently exists. Certainly, for me, your suggestions would be further from what I like to see in my GZDoom setup, not closer.
chunks

Post by chunks »

Gez wrote:
chunks wrote:
This is incorrect.
Try again.
I tested it by downloading a fresh copy of GZDoom v4.7.1, loading up an unmodified DOOM2.WAD, starting a new game, and summoning a lost soul.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding something, or is a change in a future version, or maybe my wad isn't as unmodified as I thought?
Last edited by chunks on Thu Jun 02, 2022 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chunks

Post by chunks »

Enjay wrote:There isn't any one ideal and even finding one specific configuration that satisfies most of the people most of the time would be difficult.
That's not why I'm suggesting these settings.
Enjay wrote: Certainly, for me, your suggestions would be further from what I like to see in my GZDoom setup, not closer.
Even moving the Menu Dim and Blur settings to the same area?

To be clear, I don't use all of these settings myself either. I have rocket trails set to particles and sprites, anisotropic filtering is jacked all the way up, Menu dim and blur are both set to 0.00, my HUD scaling varies wildly from WAD to WAD...
Again, I'm not making these suggestions to make things quicker or easier for me to set up GZDoom for myself.

Return to “Hall of Unpleasantness”