Covid and cognitive abilities

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Apeirogon

Covid and cognitive abilities

Post by Apeirogon »

Several week ago I got sick with the covid. Good news, around week ago I got better and Im still alive...Or at least I think so...

But I noticed that I have problems with my mental capabilities.
I like playi...solving solitaires. The most of them all I like freecell. I play mostly on my tablet, which record how long it have taken to solve it, my 'level', streak of successful games...Statistic in other word. And usually it was taken around 3-5 minutes to solve single deck/game. Of course there are happens 'hard' decks that takes around 12 or 15 minutes. Rarely, but happens. But now it takes around 15 minutes, or even 20, to solve 'simple' deck/game.
Of course there are chance that I just stumbled upon sequence of 'bad' games. But in addition to that I also have notice I have communication problem. No, Im still able to make words just fine. But occasionally I cant remember simple word that I want to use in this specific context of this specific phrase, like table, candy, hand, cat, etc. Or, again, occasionally, I replace 'correct' word with a word that have similar pronouncing, but completely different meaning. Cant make any examples here since Im not en expert in english.

So, is anyone here, who was sick with covid, who had same problems as me? Did they, problems, go away after some time?
I googled it, and yes, such aftermath after covid are actually happens sometime.
And yes, some articles claimed that they go away, after some time. Point on "SOME articles" and "SOME time".
Caligari87
User Accounts Assistant
Discord: Caligari87#3089
Github ID: caligari87
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Covid and cognitive abilities

Post by Caligari87 »

Long-term symptoms seem to vary between people. My wife had a breakthrough covid infection despite us both being vaxxed, and even after the actual sickness ran its course and she was negative, she still had severe muscle aches, joint pain, fatigue, coughing... After getting a booster shot, all those post-symptoms cleared up within a few days.

I never tested positive, but ever since she was sick I've had several intermittent mild bronchitis attacks (i used to get them rarely but now I'm getting more) and it feels like my lung capacity is somewhat reduced? I'm not sure if it's related, or just because we got a new cat that I may be allergic to 😅 and/or maybe I've just always had low-grade asthma (never tested for that).

All purely anecdotal of course. Your mileage may vary.

8-)
Rachael
Admin
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

I just got my booster shot last week, and I'm going to be expecting family late next week. They are anti-vaxxers - sweet bunch, but yeah. It is what it is. I'm going to do my best to protect myself, but I won't unilaterally say this isn't my family over choices they are making for their own bodies. I do wish they'd get vaxxed though - and expecially, get their kids vaxxed. But I can't make that decision for them.

I just hope they don't give me a break-through infection - but for the most part, they are very careful with how they handle things like that, as it stands they refuse to travel anyhow if they have an illness so that is fine by me.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'd tell them to get vaccinated or stay away. Somehow these people must feel that they harm themselves, so no accommodation from me in that regard. :twisted:
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

I had a really bad infection back in the spring, it came with pneumonia, spent a couple of days in the hospital.
I got the brain fog afterwards, and I felt like my memory was spotty.
It took me several months but I'm pretty sure my cognitive abilities are back to normal, and I can't say my memory is bad either.

I think it's important to keep exercising your brain (post covid or otherwise), all you can really do is have a positive attitude and not let the news headlines poison your mind. I've suffered a lot from the reports of young people getting heart damage - I had to get myself checked out to stop worrying about the mild pinching sensations I've felt on my chest.
I'm still dealing with some weird back pain i started getting right after my infection, it feels like my spine is pressing on my lungs. Stress seems to be a major contributor, go figure. :?
Redneckerz
Spotlight Team
Discord: Redneckerz#8399
Graphics Processor: Intel (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Redneckerz »

Hey, a thing i can actually talk about as some kind of ''spokesperson'' considering i actually work in a hospital and i do visit every and all departments.

One of my co-workers of Building maintenance got struck with Covid yesterday, and i was near him, luckily with a mask. According to Infection Prevention (which i called straight away) i am in the clear because of it.

Myself had a respiratory infection at the very beginning of COVID when it wasn't even known back then. I like to think that, because of the symptoms, i was an early adopter, i suppose.

Anyway:
My direct co-worker actually had COVID in the beginning of this year and got struck pretty badly. Not enough to land on a hospital, but enough to have heavy respiratory problems. Long-COVID is an actual thing: This co-worker was tired for months on end and still experiences occassional energy lapses, almost a year later. He is recovered pretty well now, but nevertheless, symptoms after COVID-recovery can be lengthy, although eventually it will disappear.

All in all its different for anyone and that's the thing with COVID - You don't get to decide how your body reacts to it.

At my work it has been particularly bleak - Just past friday, our hospital news letter mentioned we had 8 patients with COVID. I mentioned this to an ER manager today. She told me:

''That's outdated already. We now have 12 and 5-6 co-workers infected.'' :?

So it goes. Last year's peak wave was hefty, but the delta variant is quite a different level boss. And the irritating spell about this is that people outside the hospital show less interest in protection, unlike last year's peak wave. Leading to more patients, more stress - It's just not a good thing.

These are trying times - The Netherlands are hitting peak patient rates because unlike last time, there is less staff available, and we can't summon in the help of Germany of Belgium - Because they have to deal with similar issues. So we all are in this darned boat together - But every department, from nurse to technician tries to do what they can.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I have a few friends who work in hospitals and it really has been rough for them. Most of them and their colleagues have had COVID, several more than once.
ramon.dexter
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by ramon.dexter »

Had covid in spring. My whole family had it. Honestly, if it wasnt called 'covid', I cannot differentiate it from flu. My 94 year old granny spent three weeks in hospital and recovered from it.
Due to high level of antibodies my doctor did not adviced to get vaccine. So now I'm second level citizen, because our government ignores high levels of antibodies and accepts only vaccines.
Kappes Buur

Post by Kappes Buur »

Rachael
Admin
Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

With the respiratory issues that's associated with the illness - honestly I am not that surprised about the brain fog. I am no scientist, and they really should have some scientist look into things like this - but it wouldn't surprise me if some brain cells get choked out during the course of the infection with the way that the virus literally makes your body unable to process oxygen efficiently. I think it causes actual brain damage due to that.
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

COVID has been reported to not only affect the respiratory system but to also cause other organ damage in some people. So I wouldn't rule out that it may also cause brain damage itself.

All the more reason to get vaccinated.
Dancso

Post by Dancso »

Please be mindful of bringing up topics of brain and other organ damage in a thread of someone recently infected asking for first hand experiences on brain fog.
Consider the effect it might have on their outlook of life in the following months, even if the fog could be described as brain damage, and whether or not it ends up being permanent.

We don't need to ignore evidence of severe outcomes, but all an infected person can do is to pick up the pieces and move on. Elevating the negative imagery here can make that much harder than it has to be.

EDIT: I realise it's a weird stance to take after having mentioned the heart stuff myself (i regret doing that now). I'm sticking with the sentiment I had around it though, that is to go light on the negativity as we may only upset ourselves and eachother.
Drake Raider

Post by Drake Raider »

I don't have much to say on this, and it can be read however, but I do know that my father, normally one of the sharpest and most engaged minds I have ever met, took several weeks after COVID to be able to hold a full conversation without forgetting the topic of a sentence he was in the middle of. He was vaccinated prior to his experience with the virus, so it might not be the way it normally acts, and should be taken into account, I am not stating that this should be interpreted a particular way. Just that the experience described by the OP seems familiar to me secondhand.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Well, I was vaccinated too, but that didnt helped. Or helped??? Dont know.

Return to “Hall of Unpleasantness”