Blatant antisemitism [Brutal Hexen RPG split]

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: BRUTAL HEXEN RPG (ZDL Edition) v4.7

Postby eierfrucht » Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:40 pm

I got curious and googled "the happy merchant" - the very first result is a page by the Anti Defamation League, with a visual example (CONTENT WARNING: they do not censor it or anything related to it, and it gets nasty)

You should proceed with your investigation and learn about the media evolution of the Happy Merchant. It had since entered common usage and no longer bears antisemitic connotations.

I'm not sure about «shekeleering» though because there are plenty of cases when neologisms are hijacked by hateful subcultures and given a new, more sinister meaning. Well I can swear at the time of conception the meaning was to «think oneself smart enough to attempt manipulating people for money in too obvious and impractical ways», esp. of uploading paywalled stuff in response to a request.
eierfrucht
Banned User

Postby wildweasel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:01 pm

eierfrucht wrote:
I got curious and googled "the happy merchant" - the very first result is a page by the Anti Defamation League, with a visual example (CONTENT WARNING: they do not censor it or anything related to it, and it gets nasty)

You should proceed with your investigation and learn about the media evolution of the Happy Merchant. It had since entered common usage and no longer bears antisemitic connotations.

That's certainly not what I've been seeing elsewhere. I would love to see what you believe indicates that - and it being in common usage on 4chan does not mean it's not antisemitic.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby eierfrucht » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:26 pm

The over-the-years usus of the meme and how it evolved. In fact, it's the only picture by Wyatt Man that's not deemed offensive. And I never specifically mentioned 4chan, which I barely ever visited. There are plenty of chans many of which aren't even English-language (yet still use English words / slang due to the lack of native equivalents).

In school, we were taught that the evening meal is called 'supper' regardless of the country and social class, and the noon meal is dinner. They told us one should speak «What about a cup of coffee?» and never say «How about a cup of coffee?» because the 'how' is a Slavic calque and not a way of speaking English. They also told us that certain prepositions are always stressed unlike in Russian, so «Which OF them?» should sound with all the sentence stress put into 'of', and «He's OVER there» has the stress strictly on 'over'.

However the actual usus by the native speakers confirms none of the above. You seem like learning the usus of certain memes from a textbook while asking for another textbook to (dis)prove. I have to say that you probably should toss away the textbook for a while, board the time machine and live through the whole evolution of the meme(s) in question from inside the culture that spawned them and used them natively.

In my subjective opinion, with all my due respect to ADL, what they write about the Happy Merchant is an old man's rant by someone who only uses internet for Facebook and shopping.
eierfrucht
Banned User

Postby wildweasel » Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:47 pm

eierfrucht wrote:In fact, it's the only picture by Wyatt Man that's not deemed offensive.

By you.
And I never specifically mentioned 4chan,

You did mention "chan subculture.
You seem like learning the usus of certain memes from a textbook while asking for another textbook to (dis)prove. I have to say that you probably should toss away the textbook for a while, board the time machine and live through the whole evolution of the meme(s) in question from inside the culture that spawned them and used them natively.

Ironically, I simply do not have time to entertain that - I have a forum to run and peace to keep.
In my subjective opinion, with all my due respect to ADL, what they write about the Happy Merchant is an old man's rant by someone who only uses internet for Facebook and shopping.

Says the person who'd rather write five-paragraph-long rants about why This Offensive Stereotype Is Not Offensive, Actually than put up with me asking you to not use one single word.

I'm not going to continue arguing this with you. Thank you for reporting that PM last week, but also, please go away if this is how you feel.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Previous

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness