DooM map design in 2021 and how to emulate id software and p

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

DooM map design in 2021 and how to emulate id software and p

Postby retrodeathrow » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:16 pm

I wrote a new design doc for DooM but all the comments were borderline harassment.

I am not here to make friends. This is a forum for Mapping and I wish to discuss mapping. I invented the modern combat puzzle. Its pretty dang popular and has taken over the DooM reboot. If you dont want to be friendly towards a dude who aced his math SAT and figured out Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico Philosophicus let alone crafted a few groundbreaking equations, then you are not intelligent. I am here to discuss DooM. Opinions are not real and have no weight in the world. Get rid of them and grow up.

I would like to talk about Combat Puzzles, and how they can be crafted in Classical DooM environments. I wish to educate wrt gameplay. If you dont know that Doomguy is a Virgin Christian Male... here is the link: https://www.reddit.com/r/Doom/comments/ ... a_problem/

I repeat: HDooM is not Canon.

Here is a recent video about DooM 2016 vs DooM Eternal by Frozean Particle. It covers some basics to making the combat puzzle work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HgAibquuodo
The original gameplay demo for DooM Eternal was just like DooM 2016- but they went back and radically changed the gameplay *feel* by reducing ammo and making enemies more aggressive.

At one point in the video, Frozen Particle literally says "They struck a perfect balance of weapon utility. This is exactly how the orginal DooM games were like. I think that has been lost on people throughout the years."

This is the point I am trying to drive home- that Combat Puzzles are perfectly possible within the framework of DooM 2. That there is so much more to Classical DooM beyond BTSX and Slaughtermaps. However, peopel seem unaware that DooM is capable of presenting an intellectual combat loop. And many people seem to react violently to the knowledge that DooM is a smart shooter. Please has chill.

My maps include 'Lake of Fireblu' and 'Only Static From Jupiter' if you would like to experience first hand the types of engaging, brain-picking encounters that have taken over DooM as of recent. Basically, about 4 years ago, I was playing Candy Crush and decided to pick up Classical DooM. It occured to me that there might be a possibility to make DooM into a sort-of-matching game, what with certain weapons countering certain enemies. This requires the player to be constantly fast moving, however; and so the monster threat must be more intense while not overbearing in numbers. Small spaces and small numbers is the recipe for keeping players on their toes and constantly moving and constantly changing weapons. By making ammo scarce, the player is forced to change from one weapon to the next. And by having monster variety, no 1 weapon is perfectly suited for any encounter.

Lake of Fireblu, which I am sure many of yall have already played and was my frist release. This map recieved praise from Ribbicks and inspired the DooM Eternal revolution. If you try and play this map like a regular old DooM map, you will be crushed by Imps and Cacodemons. Once you start trying to 'speedrun' the map, the combat loop comes into view and it becomes obvious that you have to be constantly moving and switching weapons to beat this level.
https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/1 ... nt-1974892

Only Static From Jupiter is literally my only other post on the ZDoom forums, for those of you who were having trouble finding it. Its 5 maps right now, but I hope to have it up to 10 maps in time for Easter. Map 05 can be beaten in less that 5 minutes if you run through it as quickly as possible; the cyber-demons are easiest to dispatch this way; and this is the best strategy for getting 100%.
viewtopic.php?f=42&t=69209

I see that professional level designers have already taken to smart ideas. DooM Eternal is a masterful success because of this. And its shortcomings could easily be remediied by having combat puzzles in Classical DooM. There are a lot of variables in crafting a Combat Puzzle. Its a lot more than making some rooms and placing monsters. I hope that other people will also care to craft fun levels and be proud of creating something intellectually demanding.

Thanks you for taking the time to read this and be a part of DooM in the year 2021. I have been working on these maps and concepts for a number of years. They are taking off. I am trying to give some of the more obscure concepts keywords to help people digest the nuance of level design. The difference between making a scary encounter and an action packed encounter, for example, is just some minor changes in signals towards the player. I play things like BTSX and I am neither scared nor engaged in fun action. Everything feels liek a slog. By learning the semiotic concepts and how to signal to the player certain *meanings* the pace and feel of a map can be greatly expanded to something fun- and not just eye candy.

Please take the time to play games and have fun. God bless!
retrodeathrow
Banned User
for 1 days, 7 hours

Re: DooM map design in 2021 and how to emulate id software a

Postby wildweasel » Sun Jan 10, 2021 1:19 pm

retrodeathrow wrote:I wrote a new design doc for DooM but all the comments were borderline harassment.

"I don't know what this is" is not harassment. Furthermore, do not try to reopen threads that have been closed, as it is against the rules.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Re: DooM map design in 2021 and how to emulate id software a

Postby Rachael » Sun Jan 10, 2021 2:00 pm

retrodeathrow wrote:If you dont want to be friendly towards a dude who aced his math SAT and figured out Wittgenstein's Tractatus Logico Philosophicus let alone crafted a few groundbreaking equations, then you are not intelligent.

Oh that justifies your arrogant behavior? You aced your math SAT's? Wow, you're SO SMART! Congratulations!

You know what? I am intelligent too, but I don't see the need to rub it in people's faces and call people stupid.

Kindly fuck off, and enjoy your vacation. If you keep this shit up when you get back, the next ban will be permanent.

retrodeathrow wrote:And many people seem to react violently to the knowledge that DooM is a smart shooter. Please has chill.

No, they react poorly to you insulting them.

I'm all for an intellectual conversation but when you act like a total prick, you get what you give. It's as simple as that.

If you're really so smart, surely you would have figured that out by now. Or are you not as smart as you claim to be?
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness