LZDoom 3.83a released

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

LZDoom 3.83a released

Postby Zenon » Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:59 pm

Is LZDoom able to play the decorate based mods that GZDoom isn't able to?
Zenon
Mostly Confused

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: LZDoom 3.83a released

Postby wildweasel » Wed Dec 04, 2019 10:33 pm

Zenon wrote:Is LZDoom able to play the decorate based mods that GZDoom isn't able to?

Like... which ones?
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Zenon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:17 pm

Well, DoomRLA is certainly a priority for me
Other than that, I guess anything that's been affected (to the point of being unplayable) by recent decorate changes
Zenon
Mostly Confused

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Dec 05, 2019 4:20 pm

If you want to make such claims, back them up!

Also, where's the bug reports of those broken mods? Since you know but haven't told the devs about it, please don't blame us - blame yourself - because we cannot fix what we don't know!
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby Zenon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:50 pm

Alandoguns doesn't work, and Alando has certainly discontinued development of it.
Babel no longer works, and whoever developed Babel doesn't seem to be around anymore to fix the problems it has.

I'm sure you're gonna say that it's the mod maker's problem to fix, not yours, but sometimes, when the availability of a modder isn't garunteed, or in some heartbreaking cases, isn't even possible, you gotta make changes to the port so the mod itself can work, rather than the other way around.

At the moment, all I'm intending to ask, is if LZDoom can run mods like this, or if it has the same backwards compatibility issues that GZDoom currently has
Zenon
Mostly Confused

Postby wildweasel » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:32 pm

Zenon wrote:Well, DoomRLA is certainly a priority for me
Other than that, I guess anything that's been affected (to the point of being unplayable) by recent decorate changes

DoomRLA isn't broken. I don't know what the deal is with the other two, do they throw errors? What specifically is wrong? Show us. We're not psychic.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Zenon » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:36 pm

Thats the error that AlandoGuns gives me

The Project Babel website flat out says it won't work properly on GZDoom 3.7.2+ right off the bat.
So I doubt there's ever going to be any effort put in to make it compatible with new versions of GZDoom
https://babel-mod.neocities.org/
Zenon
Mostly Confused

Postby InsanityBringer » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:49 pm

tbh the alandoguns problem seems like a bug. The sprite shares name with the Heretic maulator I suspect something's gone a little berserk with the heretic sprite renaming system? I don't get why it'd be a problem now though given that heretic sprite renaming has existed since the ancient days of ZDoom.

In the meantime I don't think the sprite is even used so you should be able to safely delete all the MNTR sprites from the wad.
InsanityBringer

Discord: InsanityBringer#9908

Postby _mental_ » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:20 am

Zenon wrote:The Project Babel website flat out says it won't work properly on GZDoom 3.7.2+ right off the bat.
So I doubt there's ever going to be any effort put in to make it compatible with new versions of GZDoom
https://babel-mod.neocities.org/
Note: GZDoom 3.7.2 is currently broken and many projectile effects do not work properly. 3.6.0 and under work fine

The same crap again and again... Let me guess, there was no report about that change in behavior, just usually ‘nothing works’ statement somewhere on the internet.
_mental_

Postby Zenon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 12:22 am

InsanityBringer wrote:tbh the alandoguns problem seems like a bug. The sprite shares name with the Heretic maulator I suspect something's gone a little berserk with the heretic sprite renaming system? I don't get why it'd be a problem now though given that heretic sprite renaming has existed since the ancient days of ZDoom.

In the meantime I don't think the sprite is even used so you should be able to safely delete all the MNTR sprites from the wad.

You sir are a genius

_mental_ wrote:The same crap again and again...

What did I ever do to you?
Zenon
Mostly Confused

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:01 am

Zenon wrote:What did I ever do to you?

You dare to ask?

You did the one thing that drives us developers up walls, i.e spreading bullshit about "things being broken" while not being the slightest bit helpful analyzing and fixing these things.
Graf Zahl

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:09 am

InsanityBringer wrote:tbh the alandoguns problem seems like a bug. The sprite shares name with the Heretic maulator I suspect something's gone a little berserk with the heretic sprite renaming system? I don't get why it'd be a problem now though given that heretic sprite renaming has existed since the ancient days of ZDoom.

I can't check the mod right now, but like ypu said, the renaming system has not changed at all. It will also rename MNTRF to MNTRU if triggered, and if it does will do it for all occurencs - IWAD or not. So it's a bit puzzling why this could ever work.

But as it is with these things, most of the time "the engine broke the mod" often means that the mod was broken and fell victim to stricter error checking.
Graf Zahl

Postby Enjay » Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:31 am

Zenon, if you have found something that you feel doesn't work, please post a proper bug report in the appropriate forum that complies with the bug reporting guidelines (description, how to replicate, example file/link to mod etc).

Simply making general "gzdoom breaks stuff" posts with no real information in them is not helpful. It makes it seem like you are just spreading FUD and trolling. As you can see, all that is, is a good way to annoy people. I'm sure you've been around long enough to know this.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Zenon » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:00 am

Enjay wrote:Zenon, if you have found something that you feel doesn't work, please post a proper bug report in the appropriate forum that complies with the bug reporting guidelines (description, how to replicate, example file/link to mod etc).

Simply making general "gzdoom breaks stuff" posts with no real information in them is not helpful. It makes it seem like you are just spreading FUD and trolling. As you can see, all that is, is a good way to annoy people. I'm sure you've been around long enough to know this.

I never intended to post bug reports in this thread, I simply started off asking if LZDoom can play certain wads that GZDoom couldn't, then WildWeasel asked to know which mods weren't working and the thread degraded from there.
I have no idea about the technical reasons behind a wad not working. You're all hounding me about the fact that I can't properly identify whats causing the problem when you can just as easily try running the mod on GZDoom and getting the same error message I do, then going from there to fix the problem.

The only one amongst the people I've interacted with in this thread who's been at least a little helpful is InsanityBringer. He actually told me how to get AlandoGuns to work, which is fantastic!
The rest of you are interrogating me due to the fact that I dare imply that it's GZDoom's fault for a mod not working.

Should I just post more error messages?
I mean, that's partly how I got an answer to how to get AlandoGuns to work..
Zenon
Mostly Confused

Postby Graf Zahl » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:05 am

We expect you to report mods that aren't working, not coming here asking if "some other engine" can play them. Is that part so hard to understand? There's so many mods out there we simply cannot constantly check every single one for regressions and depend on users reporting those problems.
Graf Zahl

Next

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness