strife : one wad to rule them all

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

strife : one wad to rule them all

Postby CBM » Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:09 am

my goal with this project will be to make a pk3 file with all textures from the shareware versions of doom, doom2, heretic and hexen for use with Strife!

how?

by mapping all doom, doom2, heretic and hexen actors to something that exists in strife but keeping the original textures used in the level in order to make it possible to play any wad with strife as the base mod, perhaps even doing this for doom, doom2, heretic and hexen aswell... so that wads can be more or less indifferent about what gzdoom game thay are played in

I already have made some experiments where I can play doom, doom 2, heretic and hexen wads with (brutal 3D) heretic as the main iwad (and no missing objects or monsters)

atm I use randomspawners to replace monsters etc
CBM
Imp Slayer

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: strife : one wad to rule them all

Postby Caligari87 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:42 am

What you're proposing sounds legally sketchy, even by Doom community standards, and I would not recommend pursuing it. Distributing IWAD resources in bulk is generally frowned upon, and one of the key points of the Doom EULA (if I recall correctly) is that any mods that use IWAD material should require that IWAD to play (e.g., if you have a mod with the super-shotgun, the player should have legally have purchased Doom2.wad).

What you can do is leverage an existing project on this forum, called WadSmoosh. It combines all the player's IWADS into a single IWAD. However, it uses a small program and the user's own existing IWADs to do it, no resources are redistributed. If you want, you could write code stubs or patches to allow mods to be "wadsmoosh-aware" or something.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby StroggVorbis » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:56 am

This is similar to an idea I had. Or actually still have, I just haven't begun working on it. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65530
In theory all it takes is taking all games' sprites, converting them to PNG (so the palette doesn't screw them up), taking all sounds and then adding a new SNDINFO lump to fill the missing gaps.
StroggVorbis
Donut eat me pls!

Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Postby CBM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:14 am

Caligari87 wrote:What you're proposing sounds legally sketchy, even by Doom community standards, and I would not recommend pursuing it. Distributing IWAD resources in bulk is generally frowned upon, and one of the key points of the Doom EULA (if I recall correctly) is that any mods that use IWAD material should require that IWAD to play (e.g., if you have a mod with the super-shotgun, the player should have legally have purchased Doom2.wad).

What you can do is leverage an existing project on this forum, called WadSmoosh. It combines all the player's IWADS into a single IWAD. However, it uses a small program and the user's own existing IWADs to do it, no resources are redistributed. If you want, you could write code stubs or patches to allow mods to be "wadsmoosh-aware" or something.

8-)

I am currently using wadsmoosh to play all doom stuff :D

what if the textures were all taken from shareware versions or if the mod required all the original iwads (as texture source) and then used decorate to pull it all together?
CBM
Imp Slayer

Postby CBM » Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:19 am

DabbingSquidward wrote:This is similar to an idea I had. Or actually still have, I just haven't begun working on it. viewtopic.php?f=4&t=65530
In theory all it takes is taking all games' sprites, converting them to PNG (so the palette doesn't screw them up), taking all sounds and then adding a new SNDINFO lump to fill the missing gaps.

true, but I have something that uses a modded wadsmoosh pk3 file for all textures, I then use 3d models for all monsters, items and weapons...still there are plenty of issues .. like weapons stopping working after completing levels, monster models suddently stopping working, switches not workig etc
CBM
Imp Slayer

Postby Caligari87 » Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:32 am

If the IWADs are required to play then you should be in the clear. "Taking it from the shareware versions" doesn't change anything; those resources are not "free to use" just because they were part of the shareware version, and the shareware version was not allowed to be used for loading mods anyway.

8-)
Caligari87
I'm just here for the community
User Accounts Assistant

Discord: Caligari87#3089

Postby Rachael » Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:33 pm

Also this is just an idea that has absolutely no work done on it, so off to the bin this goes.

Furthermore, as I said here - The shareware license is very strict: You can only distribute it unmodified, and you may not create modifications that work with it.

Remember, just because it's been given away for free doesn't mean it's free of copyright.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness