question about packed files

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

question about packed files

Postby John101 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:09 pm

Hey, I need some advice here I'm sorry to sound blunt here but I've
already asked this for the last 3 months can somebody on this forum
give me a tutorial that knows how to do what I am about to ask here please.

I've, seen people in the community take a packed file from a game and make a unpacker and extractor for a pacific game
that can extract or unpack all the extracted files from the packed file I don't care about pacific game names you will properly ask
but that's not what I need to know.

I, want to know the steps as if you were going to make a unpacker and extractor for a lets say for example a ".rin" file that this game uses for example "world of junk" // only examples
How ,would you do it
whats, steps do you need to take
what, do you look for in the hex editor or "ida pro"
what, do you put in code to make this work.

I've, got some code here I've done this week
I, can open this file and read it and open it again with ifstream and write the entire packed file instead of whats inside of the packed file to my directory where my "exe" is stored.

Code: Select allExpand view
#include <iostream>
#include <fstream>
#include <iomanip>
#include <ostream>
#include <string>
#include <filesystem>
using namespace std;
int main(void){

ofstream ofile;
   // Opening file for writing
   ofile.open ("bit.rin");
   if(ofile.is_open()){
      std::cout << ofile << "this line will be written into bit.rin."<< endl;
      std::cout << ofile << "this line also will be written into bit.rin."<<  endl;
      system("pause");
      ofile.close();
   }else{
      cerr<<"Error opening file!!"<<endl;
   }
   string buf;
   // Opening file for reading
   ifstream ifile;
   ifile.open("bit.rin");
   if(ifile.is_open()){
      while(getline(ifile,buf))
      cout<<buf;
      ifile.close();
   }else{
      cerr<<"Error opening file!!"<<endl;
   }
   return 0;

}

So, can anybody help me on this I want this to be my last post on this topic lets end my 3 month journey to figure this out. Anybody
John101
Banned User

Re: question about packed files

Postby wildweasel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 1:29 pm

What on earth is a .rin file?
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead

Postby John101 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:06 pm

wildweasel wrote:What on earth is a .rin file?

Sorry, but I did not ask that from you?
Also, I put that .rin file as a example so please read before hand thank you.
John101
Banned User

Postby Rachael » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:21 pm

John101 wrote:Sorry, but I did not ask that from you?

He's asking so that he can figure out what on earth it is you want. If you want to be a smart ass like that and talk back to the people trying to help you, then you should consider it a miracle when anyone does.

That being said, to answer your question even only slightly, people who make unpackers either have a lot of time on their hands to be able to research and decode the archive format, or take advantage of the work others have done for them to this end. Most of the time you will see file format specs online to help you figure out how a file is packed, and you can write an unpacker from those. If you don't see such a document, then you have to take that extra step, yourself.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Postby John101 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:39 pm

Typical response I have got on every post I have made for the last 3 months of trying to get some help,
I guess I can pull it out of my ass and find it out that way.
I was asking in a blunt tone again I put that in the top of the post again nobody reads my posts.
because, I'm tired of asking irritating people on how to do this or give a tutorial instead they give me stupid ass answer.
And , no if he would have read the post the right way he would not have been asking that stupid question you need to read also sweet heart.
And, I put as a example I guess neither you or him could read and understand that.

Again, I'm going to tell the same thing I told him sweaty.
That's, not what I asked you read before hand before answering my question its a waste of my time hearing that shit.
And, if you cant help me go to another thread I'm not taking that shit I'm tired of lazy people that can only argue and come at me with a stupid answer.
So, in a shorter term for you to understand you cant help me and understand my question or go to another thread.
I, asked for a tutorial read before hand.
Again, another wasted thread asked...... damn I'm getting tired of this Iv'e dealt with this for more than 3 months...
John101
Banned User

Postby John101 » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:51 pm

Rachael wrote:
John101 wrote:Sorry, but I did not ask that from you?

He's asking so that he can figure out what on earth it is you want. If you want to be a smart ass like that and talk back to the people trying to help you, then you should consider it a miracle when anyone does.

That being said, to answer your question even only slightly, people who make unpackers either have a lot of time on their hands to be able to research and decode the archive format, or take advantage of the work others have done for them to this end. Most of the time you will see file format specs online to help you figure out how a file is packed, and you can write an unpacker from those. If you don't see such a document, then you have to take that extra step, yourself.

I'm done with this post nobody evens understands they half ass read my post and call me out for being a smart ass
but still does not read my post I even go out of my way to make it so easy to read even a 8 year old can understand it its simple as dog shit stuck to a shoe.

whats the point whats the point whats the point whats the point whats the point
John101
Banned User

Postby wildweasel » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:58 pm

I've, seen people in the community take a packed file from a game and make a unpacker and extractor for a pacific game
that can extract or unpack all the extracted files from the packed file I don't care about pacific game names you will properly ask
but that's not what I need to know.

Any game, ever, can name any file, ever, any THING, ever. So I don't care what the file extension is - there's a million kinds of files called "PAK" and not all of them are Quake PAK files. Similarly, I have no clue what a RIN file is without you telling us what the hell you've gotten it from.

Furthermore, now I don't even give a shit, because rather than answer my simple question, you've elected to act like I'm being an asshole to you. Well, news flash: THIS is me being an asshole. You ever wonder why you don't get help? THIS is why you don't get help, because you assume everybody should already know how to help you without bothering to meet them halfway, and then act like a spoiled fucking brat when they can't.

I'm sorry. I'm done with you. You've only ever posted here to ask questions without nearly enough information to solve them, disappear for months, and only come back to attack the people who were earnestly trying to figure out what you're even talking about.

Kindly go away, and take all of your alt-accounts with you.
wildweasel
「お前はもうトースト」[you are already toast.]
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Rachael » Sat Nov 24, 2018 5:50 pm

You want help and you are acting like THAT?

Yeah, dream on buddy. The only help you're going to get is finding the exit and learning what a steel toe to your rump feels like.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness