Doom Eternal reveal thread.

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: Quakecon 2018 - Getting ready for Doom Eternal

Postby Chris » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:50 pm

hardcore_gamer wrote:Sure there were some good maps made for Doom 3, but only a handful. And this was true even during the height of the game's popularity. The only noteworthy maps I remember from back then was the Classic Doom 3 campaign, In Hell, and a few other good maps by individual authors. There was also Last Man Standing but that was mostly MP stuff. Otherwise, I don't remember a lot of decent content being made for Doom 3.

Does Hexen: Edge of Chaos and The Dark Mod count?
Chris

Postby Trance » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:55 pm

hardcore_gamer wrote:How many good maps were made for Doom 3? Which itself was even less complicated to make maps for than it would be for a modern game [ . . . ] I don't remember a lot of decent content being made for Doom 3.

So should they just not bother then? Is that what you're telling me? Because I can't see how putting out a more in-depth toolset for custom content would be a bad thing for them to do, regardless of its complexity.
Trance
Please do not mimic the behavior of me

Re: Doom Eternal reveal thread.

Postby JadedLexi » Fri Aug 10, 2018 7:14 pm

I merged the two doom eternal threads, so two of these posts look a bit out of order.
JadedLexi
"I challenge my fate!"

Postby Amuscaria » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:16 pm

It looks like they've addressed the biggest gripe I had with Doom 2016 - monsters arena rooms after monster arena rooms. Looks like there are just tons of baddies already on the map. :)
Amuscaria
The Sentient Mushroom

Postby xenoxols » Fri Aug 10, 2018 9:24 pm

Amuscaria wrote:It looks like they've addressed the biggest gripe I had with Doom 2016 - monsters arena rooms after monster arena rooms. Looks like there are just tons of baddies already on the map. :)

I noticed this too, and I'm exited for it. Eternal looks more light hearted, and I'm happy with that.
xenoxols

Postby hardcore_gamer » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:53 pm

xenoxols wrote: Eternal looks more light hearted, and I'm happy with that.

Not me. While I like the looks of the game I dislike the story. I don't like it how they have turned the game into a goofy cartoon. Even the original game took itself at least a little bit seriously. And if the rumors about what the story/reason for the demon invasion into earth are true then it will completely destroy any interest I might have had in the story whatsoever. It's so fucking stupid.
hardcore_gamer
Banned User

Postby Bigger C » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:16 pm

I fail to see how the new Dooms are cartoonish and furthermore that is exactly the poor level of arguments and discourse that keeps me away from this forum. Take note, mods!
Bigger C
Banned User

Postby JadedLexi » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:25 pm

Bigger C wrote:I fail to see how the new Dooms are cartoonish and furthermore that is exactly the poor level of arguments and discourse that keeps me away from this forum. Take note, mods!

You're the one using poor arguments here. If you want to stay away from this forum so badly, then you can do so permanently.
JadedLexi
"I challenge my fate!"

Postby leodoom85 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:33 pm

Bigger C wrote:I fail to see how the new Dooms are cartoonish and furthermore that is exactly the poor level of arguments and discourse that keeps me away from this forum. Take note, mods!

Sure, you can start giving opinions by not being a complained person and crying. And add some consistency to what you have to say.
leodoom85
Dodge this.....

Discord: leodoom85#6202

Postby TheLightBad96 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 11:34 pm

I personally didn't really have a Huge problem with Doom 4/2016 I mean sure it's not the doom that we all love considering most of the time combat took place some kind of monster arena and the story wasn't that fine and It felt like the devs took cues from Brutal Doom or similar mods like it. But it was enjoyable.

The reveal footage for Eternal was in my opinion pretty damn good, It looked a lot better than Doom 2016. The combat looked better, the weapons look pretty nice and from what I've seen can dish out a lot of damage, the enemies look pretty great and from what i see of the levels They look pretty cool.

But that's just my opinion on the matter.
TheLightBad96

Location: Retrieval Officer Crimson pleased to make your acquaintance.
Discord: Light/Crimson#4097

Postby eharper256 » Sat Aug 11, 2018 5:47 am

Generally happy with the trailer.

Hell on Earth is a good interpretation.

Personally, I'm ambivalent about the wristblade. I felt the glory kills were more visceral when Doomguy was punching and kicking everything. Same with the newold plasma rifle. Its only really a classic design because of its 'boing!' noise.

I had an 'oh fuck no!' when invasions were announced. Fortunately, they calmed me by saying its optional, unlike Darksouls, where you have to deliberately play with your internet disconnected. IMHO, its the worst kind of multiplayer 'feature' to ever smear its way across the gaming scene, due to how it griefs your singleplayer experience.

Strolling through Phobos was another nudge to establishing how badass Doomguy is; and was an excellent scene.

I did think the person playing was pretty awful though, they were just leaping around with no real care for clearing the area, wasting the plasma rifle on chump change, psychotically changing weapons for no reason and having no real focus. If I recall, the same thing was the case on the D2016 trailer though, and I understand its for the attempt to show off more stuff, but even so.

A bit sad that the Gauss and HAR and RL have changed/gone. The Ballistae is dumb. I mean, it would be fine if they literally had a pneumatic stake firing thing, but its a bit silly to have the tensile string just because. I suppose the 'I backstab with a ballista!' gamers meme will live again though.

I actually didn't notice Pain Elementals firing any lost souls to begin with; had to go back and pause to notice them. I'm guessing that spamming the level with them is not going to be possible in the new engine.

Same with the Arachnotron; I was waiting in anticipation for them to vomit plasma everywhere but it never happened.

The Archie reveal was nice, though I didn't recognise it as being an Archie until it took on 'the pose' as he's way too buff and armoured compared to a classic Archie.

Overall, good, with reservations. Doubtlessly I will still enjoy it immensely, and its a solid trailer overall.
eharper256

Postby Arctangent » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:18 am

Trance wrote:
hardcore_gamer wrote:How many good maps were made for Doom 3? Which itself was even less complicated to make maps for than it would be for a modern game [ . . . ] I don't remember a lot of decent content being made for Doom 3.

So should they just not bother then? Is that what you're telling me? Because I can't see how putting out a more in-depth toolset for custom content would be a bad thing for them to do, regardless of its complexity.

The bad thing would be the dev time it'd take to take tools that have been confirmed to be designed for a dedicated workspace composed of a network of computers working in tandem and converting them into something that can run on one.

And that's just getting the tools to work. You'd also have to create in-depth documentation, refine unintuitive systems that your team has just learned to deal with but would hamper casual use, remove as many bugs as possible that can be avoided with experience but get in the way of a new user, including ones that were introduced when you converted the tools in the first place ...

Just dumping the tools online would be pretty damn pointless at best, and possibly a breach in contract for sharing company assets at worst. So you're really asking for a lot while acting as if it was nothing at all.
Arctangent
squawky

Discord: SquawkyAtan#2371

Postby Dancso » Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:53 am

I liked most of the gameplay.
I too, was upset at the invasion thing until they noted it's optional.
The homage to the original monsters and weapons were a welcome sight to my little nostalgia-driven milennial heart.

The one major complaint I'd have is that they're kinda turning the franchise into capeshit.
I get that they're going with the "doom slayer" as the protagonist, who isn't just some last survivor dude with a pistol. The brutality is very welcome, and I like to have more than simple running and jumping to maneuver. But, in my opinion the excessive dashing and prince of persia pole flinging is too much in combination with the grappling hook. During the keyboard & mouse segment it almost felt like the player had the ability to fly freely. The extra life system seems to tack on an added layer of arcade-ey-ness to it, too. I'm sure they'll have challenging difficulty levels and the invasions would definitely add an edge to that, but it feels silly to me at this point.

In contrast, the original doom begins fairly calmly and if you were to imagine doomguy's personality/character development, he probably wouldn't be a killing machine at first. You really grow to appreciate when you see your first enemy gibbed by the rocket launcher, and the davastation of the BFG 9000. I'm not saying the game would be better if they added a curve to the carnage, but it's something to think about. I haven't really come back to Doom 4 much after completing the campaign, so it isn't like I was left craving more ripping and tearing. I guess I'd have to play it for myself to determine the rate of burnout. It's worth remembering that the gameplay reveal had to be a little over the top to show things off, so maybe it isn't all that bad.

It sounded like they had a few aces up their sleeve so I'm excited for more information.
Dancso
bow wow

Postby neoworm » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:14 am

I love the verticality and jumping. It's modern game design as hell but the good kind of modern.

About the bonus life, I really don't know how is that supposed to work. Maybe a instant ressurect? That would be lame, I don't like mechanics like that. Maybe an arcade mode with lives and permadeath akin to UltraNightmare difficulty but with lives. But I absolutely loved the oldschool pillar with a bonus on top.

Also anybody noticed the concept for what could be a DooM heaven?
neoworm

Postby Trance » Sat Aug 11, 2018 9:19 am

Arctangent wrote:The bad thing would be the dev time it'd take to [make the toolset]...

Just dumping the tools online would be pretty damn pointless at best, and possibly a breach in contract for sharing company assets at worst. So you're really asking for a lot while acting as if it was nothing at all.

Do you really think I'm saying designing a mapping toolset is "nothing at all"? Maybe you should give somebody the benefit of the doubt sometime and stop looking for an excuse to have an argument. Especially suggesting I was thinking of them dumping their in-house development tools on the internet. Sheesh, give me some credit at least.

Your long, meticulous description of the process involved is an illustration of how all professional software development works. At least the stuff that actually sees release. It's not "nothing at all" by any stretch, but it's well within the capabilities of a competent team like Id's got, of that I'm certain. It is my personal opinion that giving people a toolset that affords them more complete control over the in-game environment is worth that time and effort. I am quite confident that there are people out there with the time and talent to vindicate the work Id puts in for it, by turning out worthwhile user content in the future that will only add to Doom Eternal's value-per-dollar and give it an extra layer of longevity in sales.
Trance
Please do not mimic the behavior of me

PreviousNext

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness