Ion Maiden

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: Ion Maiden

Postby wildweasel » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:26 pm

Zen3001 wrote:sry for being the beggar here but there has to be some kind of demo

I fail to see how they can make a "demo" of this.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Gez » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:51 pm

The available content is the demo.
Gez

Postby Zen3001 » Sun Mar 25, 2018 2:58 pm

I ment a free demo level or something
Zen3001
Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?
Banned User

Discord: #0629

Postby wildweasel » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:11 pm

Zen3001 wrote:I ment a free demo level or something

So you want the current product that costs money, for free.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby wolfmanfp » Sun Mar 25, 2018 5:51 pm

Reactor wrote:A quick question: is it possible to replace the original game songs with something I fixed together?

I think it will be possible once the full game is out.

Zen3001 wrote:I ment a free demo level or something

The early access version IS the demo, and it's not free. I think Voidpoint might release a free demo when the full game is ready.

Gez wrote:Is that texture based on a screenshot of MAP32 from D2INO?

Do you mean D2TWID? I admit, these two titles are easy to mix up.
wolfmanfp

Discord: wolfmanfp#5234
Twitch ID: wolfmanfp
Github ID: wolfmanfp
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Reactor » Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:06 pm

That sounds great! The best solution is putting the songs into a distinct folder, without packing it deep inside a resource file. This makes it a million times easier to replace'em, without having to dismantle the resource-file and then looking for a third-party program to put it back together...damn, I hate it...
Not to mention that this makes it a lot harder for musicians to fix together a redux or cover of a level song.
Reactor
The militarist

Postby RiboNucleic Asshat » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:46 am

Reactor wrote:That sounds great! The best solution is putting the songs into a distinct folder, without packing it deep inside a resource file. This makes it a million times easier to replace'em, without having to dismantle the resource-file and then looking for a third-party program to put it back together...damn, I hate it...
Not to mention that this makes it a lot harder for musicians to fix together a redux or cover of a level song.

Seems like it's just a bog-standard Build .grp file to me. SLADE opens it just fine and the music is in /sounds/music/. Actually, since the game runs on EDuke32, I'm betting you can load replacement songs from a folder.

EDIT: Actually it's just some sort of zip archive. 7-zip opens it just fine, no 3rd-party tomfoolery necessary.
RiboNucleic Asshat

Discord: Ribonucleic Asshat#7687
Twitch ID: ribonucleicasshat
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Reactor » Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:30 am

Very good, this is what I've expected! If 7-Zip can read its contents - and can write'em - that is far enough for me.
Reactor
The militarist

Postby PlayerLin » Wed Mar 28, 2018 7:11 am

The maiden.grp just a zip(checked it with WinHex, the header's with "PK") named .GRP for eduke32 engine to load, even my WinRAR can just read/extract all of data in it, just like the PK3, and I'm sure it would be modable too. :P
PlayerLin

Location: XinZhuang, XinBei/New Taipei City(Former Taipei County), Taiwan.
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Postby Rachael » Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:25 pm

https://www.resetera.com/threads/ion-fu ... ds.135368/

Obviously - this happened. Due to this, I am closing the Ion Fury (fka Ion Maiden) threads, as I do not want this to become an issue on this forum.

My stance on this should be very clear: Hate speech has absolutely NO place on the ZDoom forums or within our communities, and it is not tolerated. Ever. The devs who were involved in this - shame on you! I'd be more willing to overlook it if it was a one-off incident, but from the PM's and reports I am getting, this seems to be an ongoing thing. This is really kind of fucked up, and I honestly expected better from the people who I thought I knew. How could you have sunk so low?

That being said, however - Ion Fury is still a great game, with lots of work from people who were not involved in this, and don't have a hateful bone in their body. Remember that a game is not the leaders who made it, and it is solely your choice in choosing whether to buy this or not, or to request a refund if you already did. This crap does not reflect upon 3D Realms, nor does it reflect upon every person who's ever contributed to this game, who still deserve a little something for their efforts, as well. Let the people who have given this shit rhetoric speak for themselves - not for the companies or the games that they should have represented better.

If you wish to discuss this, unfortunately we cannot have this discussion on the ZDoom forums. Such discussions in the past have always turned heated real fast and we've had to ban people over them. I, therefore, VERY much encourage you to use social media or your own Discord servers to do so. But not here, sorry.

EDIT: Apparently, people have been discovering some rather disturbing content in the game, lately... link (can't actually confirm that it's in the game, right now, without some supporting evidence, though)

EDIT2: 3D Realms has issued a statement about this. https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/08/19 ... r-employee

EDIT3: Kotaku has also covered this: https://kotaku.com/ion-fury-studio-apol ... 1837382905

My statement about the apology: A simple apology isn't enough to heal all the hurt this has caused. It would have been better not to have said those hurtful things in the first place, or put those things in the game at all. To be honest, this looks more like childish immaturity than it does actual hate - but that does not excuse it. These kinds of immature jokes have no place in today's society and people need to realize that words have an effect - a strong one sometimes.

Still though - ignorance is a lot easier to overlook, when the parties in question actively work to repair the damage they've created. I'm willing to forgive and move on. I do not want this to be a permanent stain, and I believe in the power of people to improve themselves. I also know that, if I screwed up, I would want a second chance. I think it's only fair to give them that, at the very least. Unlike many people, I am not out on the hunt for every past mistake someone has made, just to validate and feel better about myself. We are human and we all make mistakes.

EDIT4: More news on the controversy. This story suggests that we have all been played, both the people who supported the developers and who criticized them for their remarks: https://medium.com/@sophnar0747/ion-furore-19b2aa371c6b

I don't really know what to think right now, but I still think that this was worth putting up because it offers an alternative perspective on what has been a really shitty situation for literally everyone.

EDIT5: The author of the above article (Sophia Narwitz) reportedly has accounts in some very questionable communities, so again - take the above article with another grain of salt. Also, 3DR/VP are going back on changing their game: https://steamcommunity.com/games/562860 ... 0017627014
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle

Previous

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness