Ion Maiden

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Ion Maiden

Postby Cage » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:02 am

Since I'm a part of this community, as well as directly involved in this project, might as well make a thread about it myself! :)

Ion Maiden had it's official reveal today!

You can also play the exclusive premium campaign today!
Steam | 3D Realms (DRM free)

Shelly “Bombshell” Harrison earned her nickname as a bomb disposal expert for the Global Defense Force. When transhumanist cult mastermind Dr. Jadus Heskel unleashes a cybernetic army on Neo DC, Shelly decides it’s time to start chucking bombs rather than defusing them. Her journey will leave trails of blood and gore in huge, multi-path levels filled with those famous colorful keycards and plenty of secrets and Easter Eggs to discover behind every corner.

Ion Maiden laughs at the idea of constant checkpoints and straight paths through shooting galleries. But just because this is a true old-school first-person shooter doesn’t mean there won’t be all the good new stuff the last two decades have brought.

The full ION MAIDEN experience will includes the following features:

• The true successor to classic shooters such as Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and Blood.
  • Built using the original "Build" engine, with additional enhancements to further improve the technology.
  • Beautiful hand-crafted artwork, built using original old-school tools and methodologies.
  • 7 exciting Zones, each spanning multiple maps.
  • Tons of enemies, weapons and carnage!
  • Best of both worlds! ION MAIDEN brings back the classic '90s FPS action you love, with modern additions such as physics and checkpoints.
  • Classic level design, no procedural generation! Expect multiple paths, cool effects, and complex set pieces!
  • True tracked module music!
  • Incredible weapons with alternate firemodes!
  • Easy access to development tools and modding (Steam Workshop) on day one!

I'm proud to be a part of this, and I hope it will satisfy your hunger for a true retro shooter!
Cheers!
Last edited by Cage on Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cage
A trash bag full of empty coke bottles

Discord: Cage#9861

Re: Ion Maiden

Postby insightguy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:20 am

I honestly thought you miss spelled iron maiden but I'm pleasantly surprised! A legitimate looking old school FPS!

Wasn't this supposed to be some sort of promotional mod for bombshell before bombshell launched? I remember seeing something about this in the eduke forums.
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^
Banned User

Postby Gez » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:01 pm

Who made that PSX Doom-inspired cover artwork, and is there a non-cropped HD version somewhere?
Gez

Postby Cage » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:42 pm

Gez wrote:Who made that PSX Doom-inspired cover artwork, and is there a non-cropped HD version somewhere?

You can get the whole size image in the presskit on the offical site: http://www.ionmaiden.com/ go to contact/legal

The illustration has been painted by Xavi Montell
Cage
A trash bag full of empty coke bottles

Discord: Cage#9861

Postby wildweasel » Wed Feb 28, 2018 12:43 pm

This looks really good and it's on my wishlist for when I actually have a form of income again.
wildweasel
change o' pace.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Gollgagh » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:48 pm

I love it; I'll definitely be picking it up.
Gollgagh

Postby NeuralStunner » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:52 pm

Something new on Build? Yes please! :D

Instant wishlist.
NeuralStunner
An Exercise in Self-Indulgence

Discord: NeuralStunner#1293
Operating System: Windows Vista/7 64-bit

Postby RiboNucleic Asshat » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:21 pm

Oh shit, why'd this have to come out today? I'm deep in the middle of Nioh ATM so now I have to juggle games :( ... First world problems.

(I hope this has better mouse support than, well, literally every build port in existence...)EDIT: Nope, the mouse support is just as crappy as I remember it being. It's granular as all hell because there is zero subpixel precision. It absolutely kills the feel of the game for me and makes everything feel super choppy, so seriously, please fix that. I could deal with it before because EDuke32 is a free sourceport but it's absolutely unacceptable in a full paid game. Video of the issue. Youtube kinda screwed the quality...

Also, can we just take a minute to appreciate how amazing all that spritework is? Jesus H. Christ. You guys are giving me impostor syndrome.
RiboNucleic Asshat

Discord: Ribonucleic Asshat#7687
Twitch ID: ribonucleicasshat
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Matt » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:13 pm

::watches trailer::

::checks for Linux support::

::adds Steam URL to to-do list right next to sending tax receipts, etc.::

.......the protagonist has almost the same first name as my accountant.... :laff:
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Postby Fox666 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:49 pm

Last edited by Shadelight on Wed Feb 28, 2018 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: shrunk image down.
Fox666

Postby Naniyue » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:00 pm

:wub: Oooooooooooooooooo!!!! :wub:
Naniyue
TTThhppttt!!!

Postby Wivicer » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:38 pm

It is a wonderful piece of work. Makes me feel like a kid again!
Wivicer

Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby nazakomu » Wed Feb 28, 2018 11:44 pm

I remember being impatient, wanting to play this so desperately because of the screenshots that were posted by Voidpoint... and let's just say that what I had expected turned out to be exceedingly better

I bought it today and finished the entire preview campaign.. and I've got to say, this has a lot going for it

hopefully the feedback and criticism that it is currently receiving will be helpful in making the final product nearly flawless

I can't thank you enough, Cage, for being one of the best artists around!
nazakomu
apathetic

Discord: Nazakomu#2197
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Jeimuzu73 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 12:01 am

Looks awesome. Although the enemy roster could be more distinct than just having armed mooks.
Jeimuzu73
Name's Odd. James Odd.

Postby Matt » Thu Mar 01, 2018 2:03 am

I like the designs myself... especially how the basic mook looks like a shitty Caleb knockoff wannabe* XD and they all have goofy tacticool dialogue!

I really like how visually distinct they are from each other, though they do tend to blend into the background a lot... but that could just be me not paying attention and not really having internalized what they look like yet

EDIT: does anyone else keep constantly running out of ammo

and is it just me or does that revolver not shoot nearly as many rounds as that sprite suggests it should

*EDIT: just to make it clear, the "knockoff" aspect would be from an in-character perspective, like the guy just looks like this ill-considered tacticool edgelord lol
Last edited by Matt on Thu Mar 01, 2018 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Putting the XD into *xdeath since 2007

Location: Gotham City SAR, Wyld-Lands of the Lotus People, Dominionist PetroConfederacy of Saudi Canadia

Next

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness