"Oh wait, you're a girl?"

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Re: "Oh wait, you're a girl?"

Postby Big C » Thu Sep 29, 2016 5:46 am

@Mods: Ignore my report, or...Something. Yeah. <sigh>
Big C

Postby Ethril » Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:41 am

Personally, I don't care about what sex/gender/orientation/color/religion/country/fandom/zodiac/species/etc. someone is, since that stuff doesn't really matter at all over the internet. (My reaction to personal details is more-or-less "Oh. Okay, that's cool I guess.", regardless of whether they're """normal""" or not. Unless they're, like, a murderer or rapist or HYDRA agent or something, since those kinds of people can just fuck right off for being objectively awful. It's not because of a difference in opinion, it's because they're being actively harmful to civilization)
I'm not going to hate on someone for what they are, as long as they're not hurting anyone, but I'm not going to glorify them for it either; I respect people who are, themselves, respectful.

Basically as long as you don't aggrieve me for who/what I am, I won't really care what you are. Just don't flip out on me if I use the wrong pronouns or something, because how the hell am I supposed to know (over the internet) unless you tell me first? I can't just go around asking everyone "Are you a boy or a girl?", or they'll start calling me Professor Oak. :P
Ethril
F1

Postby Hellser » Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:51 am

Ethril wrote:Just don't flip out on me if I use the wrong pronouns or something, because how the hell am I supposed to know (over the internet) unless you tell me first? I can't just go around asking everyone "Are you a boy or a girl?", or they'll start calling me Professor Oak. :P

But with a certain online group, they'll get mad at you for asking if they're either a boy or a girl. So in the end, you can't really make everyone happy. As for me, I honestly don't care if someone is male or female. The only thing I do care about is if that person is nice to be around with, to be friends with. Whatever happens in their personal life is their business. As for 'gamer chicks', I know like.. three. I view them just as competitive and awesome as the males.. and even I do get annoyed at the "pix nao" and "boobs or it never happened" mentality.
Hellser
Remember Citadel
Global Moderator

Discord: Hellser#8156
Operating System: Windows 11
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan Support

Postby DoomKrakken » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:24 am

Good God, Jimpy... I never thought that you'd react like that...

Shows how well I can read people I've never met, huh? XD

Anyway, to give my two cents to this thing... I rarely, if ever, meet any users here who claim they're girls. The only two that I know are girls are Leileilol and Eruanna. Whenever I meet girls who play videogames and can mod, I almost lose my mind as well... but it's because I'm so amazed, starstruck even, that girls have picked up on these games and like them. It excites me. :)

I have no idea what's wrong with those people who pull that crap, about excluding girls from the gaming community. I mean, I, too, was a firm believer in "cooties"... but then I turned 10.

In the immortal words of Filthy Frank: "Now I believe that there have always been stupid people, but the Internet provides greater opportunity for stupidity to be expressed and paraded. In this day and age, ignorance is a choice... and they're STILL CHOOSING IGNORANCE!"

Spoiler:

What contributes to this is anonymity. Before I continue, let me be clear that I'm NOT SAYING THAT WE SHOULD BE RID OF ANONYMITY. I cherish my anonymity and my privacy very much. But here's the thing... anyone can now set up an account and release their deepest, darkest thoughts without a care in the world, and the worst thing that can happen to them is that they get banned. If he were to say such horrible things out loud, in public, he'd lose face. Not to mention, some unsavory fellow could probably track him down and exact vengeance. But no one can see your face or hear your voice on the Internet unless you allow them to. Because of that, there's a certain degree of anonymity that's implemented, and that anonymity allows them to say what they want and not get severely punished for it.

This is not just personal observation, though... but also an anecdote. I too was guilty of posting things that I now wish I hadn't, which I wouldn't have done if I wasn't anonymous.
DoomKrakken
All but inactive here on the forums. Contact me on Discord for quicker replies.

Discord: DoomKrakken#2719

Postby SuperSomariDX » Thu Sep 29, 2016 9:47 am

If you watch Adam Ruins Everything. There's a episode that talked about how Disney Ruined Copyright laws, How Summer vacation is bad and right now, crazily enough Gender bias with video games. Interestingly enough.
SuperSomariDX
wonders what the hell is a Horror Monitor.

Postby wildweasel » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:02 am

As true as DoomKrakken's observations about anonymity are, I think Facebook and YouTube's "real name" systems have proven that people really don't care if they're anonymous or not. People will be shitty to other people with no regard to whether that affects their own reputation, because as stated, the worst that happens is they lose access to some website they don't care about.
wildweasel
from a different perspective.
Moderator Team Lead

Postby Marisa the Magician » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:14 am

It really is about the lack of any real consequences for their acts, kinda like the question of "if you were able to get away with <insert petty crime here>, would you do it?". Some people can control themselves like the civilised human beings they are, but others, not so much.

It's just sad that this keeps happening.
Marisa the Magician
ZScript Crimester

Discord: Marisa the Magician#1666
Twitch ID: MarisaDOOM
Github ID: OrdinaryMagician
Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby Hege Cactus » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:35 am

Tapwave wrote:I've noticed that this seems to be a mite less prevalent in European regions. Hell, most obnoxious behavior is toned down in European regions, especially in games. I have a female friend tell me after a few rounds of Overwatch that the EU community is miles ahead of the NA one simply because nobody insults eachother on a regular basis, or lost their shit over the fact she's a girl that owns a microphone and plays video games.

I have to say, I kinda see this aswell a lot

I am from europe myself, and really, in EU region, nobody tends to really care about gender stuff so drasticly, or make such noise about it like they do in US regions. its just like if you tell someone you're a girl they are just usually "oh ok."
Like, this is also why I tend to get baffled with all similiar type of gender politics and the like, cause its lot rarer here to make such noise about it, granted it doesnt mean it doesnt happen, but like, its bit hard to put it, but for some reason, I feel as if US tends to have less general respect/etiquette on how to behave toward other people or so in general?

I personally find it silly to make a number about someones gender. Whenever its them or someone else starting it.
Hege Cactus

Postby Wiw » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:53 am

So it's even more prevalent in the US? Like I don't hate the place enough as it is!?
Last edited by Wiw on Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit

Postby Carbine Dioxide » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:55 am

As a big gamer nerd geek master man guy, I find other people I have things like that in common with annoying. Like, most of my friends are gamers, sure, but they never talk about it, because I really don't want to hear about it, and they probably don't want to hear about what games I'm into either.

But yeah, pretty much anyone in real life that talks about gaming to me... I don't care, man. I really don't.

And, not even trying to be funny here, but I no longer have any idea on what this thread was about. I'm collectively losing my mind, just sitting here at my computer, listening to music, and talking about a topic I don't even understand until I have to go to work...

This thread was about gender right? I think so, or maybe it was just about how badly people are treated on the internet.

Well, the internet is an infinite canvas. Some people paint beautiful work on this canvas, while others prefer to take a huge shit on it.

I think that people on the internet shit on other people for being what they are because some of the bad wrap that websites and youtuber's have made for those people. Like the SJW "feminist" crap that's going on, makes actual feminists look bad.

If I said some bad stuff online, would it be worse if I wasn't anonymous? Jesus christ, look how many edits there are on this one meaningless post.
Carbine Dioxide
You shouldve seen the look on your face

Postby Graf Zahl » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:50 am

Hege Cactus wrote:I feel as if US tends to have less general respect/etiquette on how to behave toward other people or so in general?

A country where an idiot like Donald Trump has an actual chance of becoming president? I really do not believe this is a coincidence.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Postby SuperSomariDX » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:55 am

and that one company in Texas (if I recall correctly) that loves to shell out bogus claims on companies.
SuperSomariDX
wonders what the hell is a Horror Monitor.

Postby Dynamo » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:58 am

Hege Cactus wrote:I feel as if US tends to have less general respect/etiquette on how to behave toward other people or so in general?

Graf Zahl wrote:A country where an idiot like Donald Trump has an actual chance of becoming president? I really do not believe this is a coincidence.

There is absolutely nothing wrong or different about the US compared to other countries when it comes to this, let's not make stuff up now. And let's not forget that in Europe there are countries like Austria where the neo nazis missed winning the elections by like 4% (and the elections were even canceled so they may win this time), or countries like Hungary that have someone like Orban in power. Trump is nothing more than Berlusconi 2.0, again something Europe has seen in the past.
Last edited by Dynamo on Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dynamo
Gecko on the run

Postby Tapwave » Thu Sep 29, 2016 11:59 am

Hellser wrote:As for 'gamer chicks', I know like.. three. I view them just as competitive and awesome as the males.. and even I do get annoyed at the "pix nao" and "boobs or it never happened" mentality.

Surprisingly, when I played around in CSGO, I eventually stumbled upon a girl, and she eventually became friends with me and another pal of mine I was playing with. The reaction we get was usually something like "oh wow, a girl that behaves maturely in a game", which is rather surprising. Apparently, over here, the cliché of the girl being "Oh you silly boys, I play video games too! *shakes PS4 controller at an XBone*" is rather prevalent.
Tapwave
On the GREEN!

Postby Wiw » Thu Sep 29, 2016 4:37 pm

Graf Zahl wrote:

A country where an idiot like Donald Trump has an actual chance of becoming president? I really do not believe this is a coincidence.

How about guaranteed to become one!
Wiw
Frequently puts foot in mouth

PreviousNext

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness