[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!! [split]

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

[SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!! [split]

Postby Bratish » Fri Jun 26, 2020 10:16 am

It seems, except for me, here no one else does content from scratch. It's a pity to watch, although the work itself is very good, but their secondary nature bothers me. Sorry, I just don’t have time for sprites and the project in general.
Bratish
I'll be back someday...

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Re: [SPRITES] Spriting Carnival!!

Postby Lagi » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:14 am

Bratish wrote:It seems, except for me, here no one else does content from scratch. It's a pity to watch, although the work itself is very good, but their secondary nature bothers me. Sorry, I just don’t have time for sprites and the project in general.

there is loads of original weapons sprites in this thread.
If you picking on monster sprites, then except Stopsignal, Amuscaria, doomjedi ...
plus existing monsters are poor with frames. New death animation, new attacks, new weapon variants, are better than drawing 3 frames, for monster that never be completed.
Lagi

Postby Bratish » Fri Jun 26, 2020 11:33 am

Will never be completed? Heh, you don’t know copyrights ... These licensing restrictions force me to do everything to the end, so I don’t see the sense of DO NOT DO such things if they need to be done anyway.

And frankspriting, in my opinion, is the same as let’s plays - nothing new has been invented, but you can gawk (yes, I'm not a master of comparisons).
Bratish
I'll be back someday...

Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Kali, Mint, etc) 64-bit
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD (Legacy GZDoom)

Postby bimshwel » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:43 pm

Here is a creature that tosses bowling balls. It is not based on an existing monster! Somebody would need to be an idiot to have done this already.
imgur's reduction is producing a number of garish compression artifacts that are not factors in the real version. I still see plenty of errors that I could stand to fix but fortunately have never been conscious of them within the game.
https://youtu.be/1uDQkGrWojg
Last edited by bimshwel on Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bimshwel
only as old as I feel, and I feel like dirt

Discord: bimshwel #7516

Postby jazzmaster9 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:44 pm

Bratish wrote:Will never be completed? Heh, you don’t know copyrights ... These licensing restrictions force me to do everything to the end, so I don’t see the sense of DO NOT DO such things if they need to be done anyway.

And frankspriting, in my opinion, is the same as let’s plays - nothing new has been invented, but you can gawk (yes, I'm not a master of comparisons).

Shitting on other people's works (derivative or not) is the best way to make friends here. Congrats.

You seem to undervalue to importance of Frankenspirting and how much new content has been made with them.
jazzmaster9
J̶̛͉̹͇̋U̶̥̩̞͋Ṣ̵̨̛͋T̶̩͉̈̈́͘ ̷͔̹̖̊̽M̷̥̞̓͘͘O̸̯̠̽́N̶̫̠̂͗Ḯ̶̜̃̇Ḳ̶͓̻̊̅̄A̵͖̘͒

Postby bimshwel » Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:53 pm

I agree that there is a lot of fun to be had with edits, even elaborate ones. Most people are not out to market their work, and I presume doing it in the doom engine greatly limits your prospects of that as things are. But I can also understand being annoyed thinking wow look at all this stuff and then finding out there is less new than it seems, like when I first came across the "graphics" directory on the idgames ftp archive back in 2000ish. I had some condemnatory attitudes that I fortunately kept (mostly) to myself years ago and now it isn't as important to me.
bimshwel

Postby jazzmaster9 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:23 pm

Look at its naturaltoDie's edit of Zrrion's pillar, they look great.
If anyone thinks its a "pity to watch" them exist then definitely there is some ego and self inflation problem going on becuase the work is "secondary nature" (what ever nonsense that means)
jazzmaster9
J̶̛͉̹͇̋U̶̥̩̞͋Ṣ̵̨̛͋T̶̩͉̈̈́͘ ̷͔̹̖̊̽M̷̥̞̓͘͘O̸̯̠̽́N̶̫̠̂͗Ḯ̶̜̃̇Ḳ̶͓̻̊̅̄A̵͖̘͒

Postby bimshwel » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:31 pm

I understand Bratish's sentiment, knowing that I once shared it to a degree, but I would not have used language like that. I edited existing sprites long before I dared to attempt more ambitious things.
bimshwel

Postby osjclatchford » Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:46 pm

What's even the big deal here?
100% from scratch or frankenspriting, both serve a very vital place here.
Frankenspriting (when executed well) gives a look that immediately satisfies a certain seed of nostalgia when it fits in sympathetically with the source material.
However, new stuff breathes new life into the hobby that's also needed. However not every new piece is gonna be well appreciated. Especially if it deviates too much from the source material.
For example, Eriance/amuscaria's work astounds me in the way it emulates and fits in with doom graphics, whilst it also sometimes even surpasses it.
Some (not all, but a lot of) model rips make my eyes bleed in how unfitting they are and if I'm to be brutally honest. The stuff that brattish is creating is certainly not my cup of tea at all. I don't like his art style, but that does not mean I would say it is bad. It's still well executed art but not for me. Opinions will never ever be shared across the board... Just my twopennith...
osjclatchford

Postby Sonik.o.fan » Fri Jun 26, 2020 2:11 pm

Spriting in general is about bringing something new to other people, no matter what stuff you use.
I really doubt that most people care if it’s frankensprite when it looks so good that it doesn’t even look like it.
Sonik.o.fan
Potato hater.

Discord: TypicalSF#3336

Postby Lagi » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:15 pm

Lagi

Postby Cyanide » Fri Jun 26, 2020 3:59 pm

Could we go back to using the thread for its intended purpose? This arguing back and forth is getting old real fast...
Cyanide
Spotlight Team

Postby Rachael » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:44 pm

Cyanide wrote:Could we go back to using the thread for its intended purpose? This arguing back and forth is getting old real fast...

Agreed.
Rachael
Webmaster

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness