Climate change & energy production [split]

Please do not mimic the behavior of the posts shown here.

Moderators: Developers, ZDoom.org Team

Re: Climate change & energy production [split]

Postby Hellsmith1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:37 pm

I was reading up on the wind turbines and it says that wind turbines is the use of air flow through wind turbines to mechanically power generators for electric power. Wind power, as an alternative to burning fossil fuels, is plentiful, renewable, widely distributed, clean, produces no greenhouse gas emissions during operation, consumes no water, and uses little land.The net effects on the environment are far less problematic than those of nonrenewable power sources.

Wind power gives variable power which is very consistent from year to year but which has significant variation over shorter time scales. It is therefore used in conjunction with other electric power sources to give a reliable supply. As the proportion of wind power in a region increases, a need to upgrade the grid, and a lowered ability to supplant conventional production can occur.

Wind turbines reached grid parity (the point at which the cost of wind power matches traditional sources) in some areas of Europe in the mid-2000s, and in the US around the same time. Falling prices continue to drive the levelized cost down and it has been suggested that it has reached general grid parity in Europe in 2010, and will reach the same point in the US around 2016 due to an expected reduction in capital costs of about 12%.

If you want to put one of these wind turbines on your property that means that you will pay less more money on your electric bill every month but it depends on what type of power grid that you put it on.

I feel like am back in economics class again learning about energy and other stuff.
Hellsmith1
It's party time? P.A.R.T.Y?

Postby Trance » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:15 pm

Are you going to continue to regurgitate wiki information at us, or are you going to contribute any actual discussion at some point?
Trance
Please do not mimic the behavior of me

Postby Rachael » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:50 pm

Trance wrote:Are you going to continue to regurgitate wiki information at us, or are you going to contribute any actual discussion at some point?

Yeah, I agree.

Hellsmith1, please stop doing that. It's not like we can't tell, and it's kind of annoying - not to mention it's hugely immoral, because that's plagiarism.
Rachael

Postby Hellser » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:31 pm

I'll leave this here:
Spoiler: "Tom Scott"
Hellser
Remember Citadel

Discord: Hellser#8156

Postby DoomKrakken » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:59 pm

Rachael wrote:
Trance wrote:Are you going to continue to regurgitate wiki information at us, or are you going to contribute any actual discussion at some point?

Yeah, I agree.

Hellsmith1, please stop doing that. It's not like we can't tell, and it's kind of annoying - not to mention it's hugely immoral, because that's plagiarism.

He said he was reading up on it, though... sure, he didn't say where he was reading it from, but I don't think he's trying to take credit for it.
DoomKrakken
Avidly Anonymous Suggester. Hardcore Catholic Gamer. Problem? PM me.

Discord: DoomKrakken#2719

Postby Rachael » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:07 pm

The issue is he copy-pasted it without citing the source and removed the citation numbers. That's blatant plagiarism.

It's not the first time he's done this - and as well, he used to pull other insane crap, too, all fitting with this M.O. he's shown over the course of years - he used to do it a lot with his Cousin Richards bullshit, feigning massive and tragic accidents that somehow he miraculously survives. Not once mind you - several times, until I told him to stop that, as well.

It's all a part of pretending to be something he's not - when really, all we want is an imperfect and normal human who's learning and making mistakes just like the rest of us. We don't want this fantasy of him pretending to be something bigger or somehow more important than he really is.
Rachael

Postby DoomKrakken » Mon Oct 09, 2017 5:08 pm

True, true...
DoomKrakken
Avidly Anonymous Suggester. Hardcore Catholic Gamer. Problem? PM me.

Discord: DoomKrakken#2719

Postby insightguy » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:36 pm

Rachael wrote:
insightguy wrote:
Ravick wrote:I'm kinda surprised to see this topic here, and... even more to see that it was discussed in a polite way. It was, lets say, totally no Internet-like.

We are all equal under the watchful eye of the moderators and the really shiny ban-hammers behind them.

This should NEVER be the motivating factor behind being civil - and if it is, it reinforces the need for said moderators in the first place - and that's not a positive thing.

I think better motivators would be things like being a decent human being, not causing unnecessary drama over an issue that treads VERY closely to fundamental issues that have been breaking apart formerly close friendships for the past year or two, which itself can cause huge problems in a somewhat small community like this.

If I, and all 7 of the other moderators were able to resign tomorrow and the forums remained as peaceful as they are now, I would say the community is headed in a very peaceful and positive direction.

I was being sarcastic. :P

We are all equal under the Almighty and glorious eye of the moderators and the really shiny and chrome ban-hammers behind them. All hail the ravenous weasel, the dark light, the america freedom fighter and his dark winged angel waifu and their realy large love ban hammers! :D
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^

Postby wildweasel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:53 pm

insightguy wrote:We are all equal under the Almighty and glorious eye of the moderators and the really shiny and chrome ban-hammers behind them. All hail the ravenous weasel, the dark light, the america freedom fighter and his dark winged angel waifu and their realy large love ban hammers! :D

wildweasel
I love the smell of sourdough in the morning

Postby Rachael » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:39 pm

wildweasel wrote:Image

I would like to go on the record stating that I second this.
Rachael

Postby Hellser » Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:03 pm

I like to go to the extremes.

Hellser
Remember Citadel

Discord: Hellser#8156

Postby insightguy » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:52 am

Rachael wrote:
wildweasel wrote:Image

I would like to go on the record stating that I second this.

Hellser wrote:I like to go to the extremes.Image

:( Was it really that bad?
insightguy
^HEY! My avatar is up there^

Postby Lud » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:30 am

Time to hall it, boys and girls. The thread's run its course.

(Note: not sure if the halling itself is necessary. A fellow mod could move it back to offtopic if they feel like it's the right thing to do.)
Lud
Pirates of the Somallean.

Postby Rachael » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:31 am

Eh, it's just shit-posting at this point, no posts lately that add to the real topic anyway. (Yes, us moderators were in on that)

@ insightguy:

I will not say what you did was "bad" (it certainly wasn't malicious), but I couldn't tell if you were being sarcastic or not anyway, and given your recent comments about me, I had absolutely no clue what you were trying to say with that remark, really.

:shrug:
Rachael

Previous

Return to Hall of Unpleasantness