Teapot model?

Requests go in THIS forum!

Teapot model?

Postby Enjay » Wed Dec 29, 2021 7:39 pm

Does anyone have a low-poly model of a teapot?

I mean a ceramic teapot for making tea in, not a kettle (I only specify because I have found a few kettles misnamed as teapots).

I have found one good one but it is far too high poly for use in game.

Thanks.
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Re: Teapot model?

Postby Dark-Assassin » Wed Dec 29, 2021 10:18 pm

Try loading it up in blender and adding the Decimate modifier. Mess with the settings and you should be able to get it lower poly enough. Then remember to add a triangulation modifier after that.
Dark-Assassin

Postby Enjay » Thu Dec 30, 2021 8:26 pm

Egad! Blender. I'll give it a go but whenever I used Blender the only thing getting decimated is me. Are these particular features built-in or will I have to get extra modules for it?

I have tried for years and I still can't get the hang of the interface. I can only assume that it was designed by a complete sadist. (I was also "delighted" to find when I updated it recently that the slack handful of things that I did always use and could remember had changed or even disappeared entirely).
Enjay

Postby Dark-Assassin » Thu Dec 30, 2021 10:47 pm

I understand the discomfort. The UI isn't great and has changed pretty much every minor revision now.

The decimate modifier is built in. The modifiers tab is the one that looks like a blue spanner/shifter. At least in 2.8 which is what I use.
Dark-Assassin

Postby Enjay » Sat Jan 01, 2022 7:28 am

Found it - thanks. And it does the job very nicely. I will certainly be able to use that in the future.

Unfortunately, it exposed a few problems with the model that weren't immediately apparent in its hi-poly state. Now that I know they're there, I can see them in the hi-poly version too: lots of tiny gaps between faces that become bigger gaps when the polycount is reduced - too many to easily fix manually.

So I guess I'm back on the hunt for a teapot. :/

[edit]Got one! A fairly low-poly version of the classic Utah Teapot. It's not as pretty as the one I found first (skin need a bit of work) but, overall, it better suits my purposes.[/edit]
Enjay

Postby Kzer-Za » Sat Jan 01, 2022 9:10 am

Enjay wrote:lots of tiny gaps between faces

I apologize for the off-topic but what is faces in this context? Polygons? Quick search for "3d modeling faces" just gave a lot of models of human faces :)
Kzer-Za

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Enjay » Sat Jan 01, 2022 3:21 pm

The flat surfaces on which the textures are. Sort of a bit like the sidedefs in a Doom map I guess.

Probably gaps between polygons or faces could be used to describe the above problem.

It's equally possible that I was using the terminology incorrectly too though. ;)

[edit]
And, FWiW, here's the one I ended up with, with the skin that I did for it.
Spoiler:
Enjay

Postby Kzer-Za » Sat Jan 01, 2022 10:46 pm

Thanks for the explanation! Nice looking teapot and the whole scene. Do you mind me asking what project it's for?
Kzer-Za

Operating System: Other Linux 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Postby Dark-Assassin » Sun Jan 02, 2022 1:20 am

Before reducing the polys, you can try doing a vertex merge by distance to close these gaps.

Select the model, go into edit mode, select all (a), then go to Mesh > Merge (m) > By Distance
In the bottom left, there should be a box that appeared. You can adjust the merge distance in there.
Dark-Assassin

Postby Gez » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:24 am

I wouldn't have thought it'd be hard to find working teapot models, given how the teapot is the modeling equivalent of "Hello World". :)
Gez

Postby Enjay » Sun Jan 02, 2022 7:37 am

That's exactly what I would have expected too. As I mentioned, eventually I did find a Utah Teapot-styled model and I found it by searching "Utah Teapot model" after other teapot-related searches had either failed or given me far too high-poly versions. Of course, I could eventually have just made on myself.

@Dark-Assassin "vertex merge by distance to close these gaps". I did try similarly named functions in two other programs but I just couldn't find how to do it in Blender (so thanks for the info). However, these didn't do a very good job. Too low a value and no gaps were closed, high enough of a value to close the gaps and other parts of the model got deformed as well.
Enjay

Postby 00face » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:03 pm

Enjay wrote:Does anyone have a low-poly model of a teapot?

I mean a ceramic teapot for making tea in, not a kettle (I only specify because I have found a few kettles misnamed as teapots).

I have found one good one but it is far too high poly for use in game.

Thanks.

Well first, some history. One of the best you can find is the Utah Teapot or Newel Teapot, aka OG Teapot, can be found at https://graphics.stanford.edu/courses/cs148-10-summer/as3/code/as3/teapot.obj and was actually made back in 1975.

You can use any teapot obj, If the topology of the model is good and you reduce the mesh, you can use MeshLab https://support.shapeways.com/hc/en-us/articles/360022742294-Polygon-reduction-with-MeshLab https://www.meshlab.net/ or https://github.com/nschloe/optimesh to make whatever you find manageable for gaming.

Otherwise, you can find good models on:
https://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=teapot&type=things&sort=relevant or https://cults3d.com/en/tags/teapot; most will have an OBJ or an STL at least you can convert to OBJ.
00face

Discord: 00face#7808

Postby Enjay » Sun Jan 02, 2022 6:57 pm

Some very useful links there. Thank you.
Enjay

Return to Requests