Human replacement for the Arch-Vile

Requests go in THIS forum!

Human replacement for the Arch-Vile

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:58 am

Hey all,

I am currently working on a monster replacement mod that replaces all demons with zombified humans instead. Realm667's bestiary has been most helpful in that regard, but what I am missing at the moment is a replacement for the Arch-Vile. So far, I have yet to find a human enemy that is filling the same purpose.

Does anyone know where I can find one or happen to have what I am looking for?

Thanks in advance!
JohnnyTheWolf

Re: Human replacement for the Arch-Vile

Postby Rachael » Mon Mar 01, 2021 11:52 am

Just an idea but I've always seen the archvile as some sort of sorcerer-like monster. If you happen across a fire wizard for Heretic or Hexen I think they would work perfect for this purpose and their same animations could be used to faithfully replace the Archvile attacks, if desired. But I don't know if that's what you would want.

The mod idea does sound interesting at any rate, though.
Rachael
Admin

Discord: Rachael#3767
Twitch ID: madamerachelle
Github ID: madame-rachelle
Operating System: Debian-like Linux (Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, etc) 64-bit
OS Test Version: No (Using Stable Public Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Mon Mar 01, 2021 1:21 pm

That could work, although if I do so, I may have to create a monster from scratch - something that I currently do not know how to do: this started as a personal project just for fun, so I thought I would save time by just using Realm667's creations instead of going through the hassle of learning the programming language. :P

I did come across Realm667's Banshee, which in many ways feels like a really OP Arch-Vile. In its current state, it only summons Lost Souls; maybe if I can figure out how to replace this with the Arch-Vile's resurrect ability, I guess it could make for an adequate replacement. I also know Realm667's Spirit Imp has the ability to revive a single enemy when it is killed.

EDIT: So looking at the Banshee's DECORATE code, it seems to have what looks like the Arch-Vile's Resurrect ability:

Spoiler:

Now, all I need is to figure out how to nerf the Banshee and have it focus more on healing.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Rachael » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:06 pm

If you need any help just let me know. :)
Rachael
Admin

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:33 pm

Thank you! I would like to know if there is a way to make the Banshee more focused on reviving fallen enemies. I have put // before every line that seems related to her attacks just to see what would happen. While she seems to have stopped attacking me altogether, she now spends most of her time following me around, occasionally reviving one enemy here and there.

Here is what her DECORATE file looks like:

Spoiler:

Any suggestions?
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Rachael » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:01 pm

Hmm - That I do not know, sorry. Have you tried sticking her as-is inside a hall full of dead bodies?
Rachael
Admin

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:12 am

Sure did. I loaded up MAP01, typed "kill monsters" and then summoned her. She would revive a couple of enemies here and there, but then she would start wandering around aimlessly and only reviving enemies that are close to me. Maybe she is trying to do her melee attack but cannot because I have disabled it, I do not know.
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:35 am

With the help of Player701 in a different thread, I have been able to come to a satisfying result. Now that I have added the line "BANS A 1 A_Chase("", "", CHF_RESURRECT)", the Banshee seems a bit more proactive when it comes to resurrecting her comrades. I wish she could be made even better at it, but that might require some more advanced scripting and I do not think I am quite there yet.

However, after much testing, I must retract what I previously said: the Banshee may have more attacks than the Arch-Vile, but she ultimately does not feel as overpowered as I thought. She is still powerful, but until the Arch-Vile, all her attacks are projectile-based. Also, it helps that I changed the damage factor to 0.5 to make up for the increased number of hitscan enemies.

So I guess that is that! :D
JohnnyTheWolf

Postby Rachael » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:42 pm

Well it is possible to essentially reskin the archvile as a banshee.
Rachael
Admin

Postby JohnnyTheWolf » Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:43 pm

I do not recall the Arch-Vile being that much better at reviving its comrades... but then again, I usually do not let it the time to do so. :lol:
JohnnyTheWolf

Return to Requests