[SOLVED] Anyone can convert properly this md2 to md3?

Requests go in THIS forum!

[SOLVED] Anyone can convert properly this md2 to md3?

Postby Ozymandias81 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:37 am

Yes, I never thought I had to do this since the title says something pretty simple that I did countless times for Blade of Agony and my other projects/collabs, but here I am searching for some rapid and consistent aid to simply convert this md2 banner (which comes from Return to Castle Wolfenstein, converted itself too) into md3 retaining all its frames and also model scale, which is the most important thing, Why? Well, it is there exactly where the model breaks, for some reasons I can't find a solution than export each single frame (which could be painful) and then merge all together, but don't have necessary time and patience recently and I really could use some nice help from the community.
To rip models I always used Milkshape then Maverick Model 3d, and keep in mind that XYZ values of the model mustn't be modified at all, since this banner is used quite everywhere with a couple of variants on BoA.

Hope to get some kind help from you all.

3d-banner.zip

UPDATE - Fixed version here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
Ozymandias81
Doom is a State of Mind... Out of Control.

Github ID: Ozymandias81
Operating System: Windows Vista/7/2008 64-bit
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Re: [3D MODEL FIX] Anyone can convert properly this md2 to m

Postby Cherno » Fri Oct 23, 2020 10:41 am

Use Noesis.
Cherno

Postby Enjay » Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:44 am

I think this should be OK. I used Maverick Model to convert it. Not sure why that is giving you problems, the conversion seemed OK to me.

Zip only includes the MD3

[edit]Actually, forget that, for some reason the entire bottom part of the model got chopped off. It's not a paticularly complicated model. I wonder if it's just too big for the MD3 spec? The lowest vertices are around -1230. Is that too much?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Ozymandias81 » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:32 pm

Usually the problem between md2/md3 model which doesn't get converted are how vertices are linked together or if model themselves are too little, on both cases mostly the conversion turns the model into a flat X or Y plane. I see you've got the same issue I have Enjay, so I am not alone. I am good on fixing and export/convert models, but not create them from scratch sadly so mmhm maybe I'll give a try with Noesis, which sits on my pc for a very long time but remains unused mostly. The fact is that I want this model converted because... it is the only md2 model present on BoA, everything else is in md3 format :D
Tomorrow with a clear mind I'll see what I can do, unless someone will post here the fixed request. Thanks in advance for your time Enjay, and your suggestion Cherno.
Last edited by Ozymandias81 on Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ozymandias81

Postby Enjay » Fri Oct 23, 2020 4:58 pm

I think that my hunch might be correct. I used Maverick to "transform" the model: I scaled it in all planes by 0.25. This (obviously) made the model 1/4 its original size and I was able to save it as an MD3 with, as far as I can tell, no problems.

I know that you said that you wanted the scaling to be maintained, but could you not do something like that and then scale it back up in MODELDEF?
Enjay
Everyone is a moon, and has a dark side which he never shows to anybody. Twain

Postby Ozymandias81 » Sat Oct 24, 2020 2:49 am

Sure Enjay, I will try as you said and see if it will be enough using your method, will let you know here later... Thanks again :)
Ozymandias81

Postby CBM » Sat Oct 24, 2020 5:32 am

both noesis and maverick should work just fine to convert md2 to md3
CBM
Imp Slayer

Operating System: Windows 10/8.1/8/201x 64-bit
OS Test Version: Yes (Using Development/Testing Version)
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: [SOLVED] Anyone can convert properly this md2 to md3?

Postby Ozymandias81 » Mon Oct 26, 2020 3:28 am

CBM - Nope because you have to adjust frames since model has animations and frames get stretched on their X axis usually

Enjay - Thanks a lot for that scaling advice, I did it then saved the model again using scale a 1.75 to revert at original size the model and it works now!
Ozymandias81

Return to Requests