[+/- resolved] slumped dead rotations

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
osjclatchford

[+/- resolved] slumped dead rotations

Post by osjclatchford »

so yeah. Id like to make up some rotation frames for these dead-'uns:
slumped dead2.png
slumped dead2.png (9.95 KiB) Viewed 937 times
however im having trouble.

I was going for something like you see in brootal but as you can see they sit real different, left leg slumped under them...
basing them of of the aforementioned/existing ones never looks right somehow.

any ideas and help welcome...
Last edited by osjclatchford on Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
osjclatchford

Re: [help!] slumped dead rotatons

Post by osjclatchford »

ok so i did quite a bit of work to this last night.
rotated deeed.png
rotated deeed.png (28.74 KiB) Viewed 885 times

you can see i ditched the one leg under deal. made it a bitch to paint. but i did decide to have the legs splayed +/- equally to increase symmetry so it rotates better...
its much better than the originals (I always felt the legs were odd, looked like a doll or lego character) but i'm still not 100% on it.
there's no 4/6 frames as there aren't in the brutal originals. I simply figure that these are designed to be viewed from the front (against a wall) so that rotation is not really as vital. but you have to have 5 because ,well, it just wouldn't work without it...
if anyone can tweak these to look better I'd eternally appreciate it... ;)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

These look good. Definitely an improvement.

I would suggest that in all rotations except the 3/7 they actually look slightly slumped forward. That's a good thing IMO because it means they can also be used as free-standing decorations away from a wall. The 3/7 rotation has a more vertical look to the back though. Of course, free-standing decorations would also need 4/6 rotations.

[edit]I just tried a quick edit myself and the vertical back "issue" (not really an issue for the intended purpose of the sprites) can be addressed quite easily by just moving the upper body forward by a pixel:

While messing with it though, I did notice that there is quite a height discrepancy between the rear view and most of the other rotations. For example, the top of the shotgunner's head is 3 pixels lower than in the 3/7 view and the shoulders are 2 pixels lower. I know that's not unusual in a Doom sprite but it's quite a discrepancy in such short sprites.
[/edit]
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

Enjay wrote:These look good. Definitely an improvement.

I would suggest that in all rotations except the 3/7 they actually look slightly slumped forward. That's a good thing IMO because it means they can also be used as free-standing decorations away from a wall. The 3/7 rotation has a more vertical look to the back though. Of course, free-standing decorations would also need 4/6 rotations.

[edit]I just tried a quick edit myself and the vertical back "issue" (not really an issue for the intended purpose of the sprites) can be addressed quite easily by just moving the upper body forward by a pixel:

While messing with it though, I did notice that there is quite a height discrepancy between the rear view and most of the other rotations. For example, the top of the shotgunner's head is 3 pixels lower than in the 3/7 view and the shoulders are 2 pixels lower. I know that's not unusual in a Doom sprite but it's quite a discrepancy in such short sprites.
[/edit]
thnaks for the advice, and yeah I wanted a hunched forward look so if it is against a door, i dont look weird when the door opens! LOL
as for the rear height discrepancy; intentional, it's because the corpse is slumped forward so the head and shoulders are further away from the "camera" than the arse is...
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

v2:
rotated deeed v2.png
rotated deeed v2.png (22.34 KiB) Viewed 850 times
fixed some leg lengths and positions, tweaked the torso positions on the 3/7 frames (thanks to good suggestions from yourself! its a real simple edit but a huge improvement to the 'theme' of the sprite-set... thanks for that!) and general cleanup.

frames 4/6 coming soon (if I manage it) and perhaps a doomguy one too...
not doing the possessed one though, as they look odd.
I think they're just too small to slump without them looking like sitting zombie kids! LOL
i'll just stick to regular deaths for those in my mod.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Big improvements. :)

Looking back at ver 1, the legs look pretty stumpy now in comparison.
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Hey, these look much better than the ones in BD. They were ugly, Sargeant Marcos IV ripping 'em in 3,2,1... :)
I always had to destroy them but now i don't play BD anymore.
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

@enjay Yeah that was real apparent I game next to a regular dead'un... Bit of an oversight but easily fixed. Will definitely give frames 4/6 a go later... It is needed really...

@drfrag lols, they were good in concept (first seen in kdizd) and clearly a reference to the bodies in quake2 but needed a bit of love. Between us all they'll get there...

Oh yeah. Please do use this for any and all projects wanted for. That's why they exist. Share, improve, share again!
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

final(?) version:
rotated deeed v3.png
rotated deeed v3.png (26.33 KiB) Viewed 778 times
with added 4/6 frames implemented.

please feel free to use...
Enjay

Re: [+/- solved?] slumped dead rotatons

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for continuing with these.

My observation for the 4/6 rotation is that the leg angle looks odd. I understand why you have done them like this (perspective and all that) but the end result is that they look a bit like they are high-kicking. Can the leg be made a bit more horizontal but still keep the impression of perspective?
osjclatchford

Post by osjclatchford »

I originally had them as you say as I felt the same as you when looking at the spritesheet. Checking in game, it didn't look like the corpse was slumped over. Looked like it was sitting upright so I went to this configuration.
I'd say go look at it in game. You'll see why I did it this way ;) or maybe not. Opinions often differ...

Perhaps I had it too straight and this is now too bent. I might compromise with something in-between...

*edit*
rotated deeed v4.png
rotated deeed v4.png (26.28 KiB) Viewed 753 times
like this!

Oh, and If you can't be bothered to cut them out and port them all into a pk3,
I've seperated them all out in this zip:
osjc_slumpeddead.zip
(37.19 KiB) Downloaded 44 times
or alternatively you could check them out in major crisis, which is why I made them in the first place!
its here: https://www.moddb.com/mods/osjcs-doom-major-crisis
or here: https://www.mediafire.com/file/milbwj6s ... E.zip/file
Use a shotgun up close or kick/buttstock an enemy and that will likely do it...
Last edited by osjclatchford on Wed Jul 01, 2020 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I haven't had a chance to check them in game yet but how about something like this?

It lowers the foot to look less high-kicky, but keeps a bit of the thigh angle for the perspective (and a slight kink of the knee is indicated in the 3/7 rotation (perhaps that could be exaggerated more on the 3/7 slightly for consistency?)).

Return to “Requests”