HELP WANTED: sprite artists.

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Memes4LyfeLives

HELP WANTED: sprite artists.

Post by Memes4LyfeLives »

i am looking for sprite artists that can edit some specific sprites for me. (my art skills are lacking) your usernames will be credited.
this is for a vanilla compatible megawad i am making.

what i am looking for:

the grey marine sprite holding a chainsaw, the red marine holding a plasma rifle, and the brown marine holding a rocket launcher.
must be vanilla compatible.

sprites will be implemented in dehacked to replace the existing marine sprites.

art submissions are welcome. remember: you will be credited for your work in a text file labeled "Credits" in a zip file with the megawad.

EDIT: sprites for marines are no longer needed. I am now looking for ORIGINAL sprites of the Maykr Drone from Doom Eternal. they can not be existing ones. (e.g. from another wad.) if there are any sprite artists out there, I will credit your work.
Last edited by Memes4LyfeLives on Sat Mar 28, 2020 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cherno

Re: HELP WANTED: sprite artists.

Post by Cherno »

Why don't you use translations to recolor the marine sprites from the Allied Marines pack?
Memes4LyfeLives

what are translations?
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

The zDoom wiki is your friend :)
https://zdoom.org/wiki/Translation
Jarewill

Post by Jarewill »

Palette translations are a way to recolor an existing sprite using the palette.

They can be done using the "Translation" property in DECORATE, or by using SLADE's palette translations, which is probably what you are looking for, since you are planning to use DeHACKed.

For example, translating the green marine into a gray marine would be "112:127=96:111"
Green into red: "112:127=32:47" (dark red) or "112:127=176:191" (brighter red)
And green into brown: "112:127=64:79"

Edit: Ah dangit, didn't see your post as I was writing Cherno.
Memes4LyfeLives

I should mention that the sprites are for monsters added in with dehacked, thanks to -TDRR- of doomworld. I don't think this will work.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Memes4LyfeLives wrote:I should mention that the sprites are for monsters added in with dehacked, thanks to -TDRR- of doomworld. I don't think this will work.
Dehacked has two flags specifically for translating the green palette range into either the red, brown, or grey range (set both of them to get the third option). The game itself uses these internally for the player sprites in multiplayer mode, but you can use them yourself on almost anything, as long as it's green.
Memes4LyfeLives

how can I get the translations to include different weapon sprites? is that possible in dehacked?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Memes4LyfeLives wrote:how can I get the translations to include different weapon sprites? is that possible in dehacked?
You would need to provide different sprite sets in that case. Translation is only for coloration.
Memes4LyfeLives

can I add sprites?
Memes4LyfeLives

I mean, can dehacked access sprites and textures from other wads?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Memes4LyfeLives wrote:I mean, can dehacked access sprites and textures from other wads?
A common trick in DEH based mods is to add more frames to existing sprite sets. Entirely new sprite sets under new names can't easily be done without replacing the old ones, so modders would repurpose the existing ones. I'm sure I've seen at least one mod that added an entirely new monster by using SHOTB1-SHOTZ0 (and appropriate angles).
Memes4LyfeLives

how can I add frames?
wildweasel

Post by wildweasel »

Memes4LyfeLives wrote:how can I add frames?
You'll want to change the Sprite Subnumber on the state you're working with, and increase that number depending on what letter frame you want.

If that sentence confused you in any way, you will probably want to do some learning about how to edit a Dehacked patch.
Memes4LyfeLives

thanks. back on topic for sprite artists: I have decided to make another monster in DeHackEd. a Maykr Drone. from Doom Eternal. I shall edit the Original Post.

Return to “Requests”