[Request] Doom 2 Sky2 but it's Hell

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

[Request] Doom 2 Sky2 but it's Hell

Post by Grymmoire »

I'm looking for a Sky that's something like Doom 2's Sky2 but if it were set in Dis or something. A hell's metropolis or something of the sort. Demonic cityscape.

I was thinking that building styles reminiscent of Ultimate Doom's Episode 3 intermission screen might be fitting, and inlaid into this sky by Elend (I resized to 512x256 for a tall texture but of course that made it a little blurry). Ideally if the 256 unit tall version could be cleaned up to be less blurry that would be best, but if that's a no-go then use the 128 unit tall one. To be honest I'm having a little bit of a hard time imagining what a demonic cityscape might look like, so this is what I've got so far. But, whoever is willing to take this on has a better idea, I'm all ears.

This request might be tall order, and if it is I'm willing to commission it.
BadMojo

Re: [Request] Doom 2 Sky2 but it's Hell

Post by BadMojo »

Whipped this up in literally 5 minutes... with a bit more work and creativity, it should be fairly easy to get what your after:

Just let me know any specific details, and Ill see what I can come up with when I have time.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Sydney!

Looks cool but I suggest avoiding very recognisable buildings - unless the idea is to have the game set in a particular location.
BadMojo

Post by BadMojo »

Enjay wrote:Sydney!

Looks cool but I suggest avoiding very recognisable buildings - unless the idea is to have the game set in a particular location.
Hehe good eye ;)

It was just an example really, notable buildings and such can be reworked into something else.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Another thing that might be worth taking into account: the standard Doom 256-wide sky repeats four times as it wraps around the skyline (and it's mirrored too). So, something like you posted with a definite shape of high in the middle tapering off at the edges would be pretty obvious (as would four opera houses ;) ).

One solution would be to make the graphic 1024 wide. Then it would wrap only once and never repeat in the sky. The other option would be to make fewer obvious "shapes" to the horizon so that a 256 wide sky could repeat less obviously.
BadMojo

Post by BadMojo »

Got the ol tablet out to have a play with it.. dunno how it looks like in game yet, but Ill have a look at evening it out a little bit so it wraps better if op likes it so far, if I get the go ahead Ill put more effort into it.

Ive got a couple of versions here, both have been paletted to dooms palette:

Just by looking at it now, those big buildings in the middle can be cut down a bit, or perhaps duplicated and flipped and placed more to the edge, and with some pixel pushing to make it less.. duplicated.. lets just say I got a few ideas here, but I guess well wait and see what op thinks of it so far.

UPDATE: Heres a wide version, just as I did with the city here, I also modified one of the mountains so it doesn't look like it was duplicated
Wouldnt mind seeing a screenshot of this ingame, if anyone can be bothered to do it.
Grymmoire
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Grymmoire »

Haven't checked this post in a while because I figured it wouldn't ever get any replies. Sorry about that! :oops:

But, I already got a sky put together by Nash for the purpose:
Spoiler:
Although, I like your take on it too, and I can see it being more useful in a "big city" map. Thanks!

EDIT: Do you happen to have the source file/s for the image you put together. Might make some edits to it, but it would be easier if I had the component parts.

Return to “Requests”