Weapon edit Request (QII SSG)

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Weapon edit Request (QII SSG)

Post by Enjay »

I posted these images in the Spriting carnival thread...

(The offsets can be made to look better in a WAD)

They are pretty flat. I don't suppose anyone is willing and able to make them look a bit more spritey and a bit less model grabby are they? Maybe stick on an arm?

The Good Stuff

I thought it might be worth collecting the submissions here. There are some really nice re-workings/improvements of this model rip in this thread. I assume that the artists are happy with them going to general use. I can't use them all and there are plenty of different approaches to the sprite here too that might suit a few different tastes.

If any of the artists do not want their submissions on the "open market" please let me know and I will mark them appropriately.

If you use any of them, please give give credit to the respective artist.

Sonik.o.fan

HAL9000

Gorman Frebmane (Option 1)

Gorman Frebmane (Option 2)

BadMojo
Gorman Frebmane

Re: Weapon edit Request (QII SSG)

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

I might give it a try.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I would very much appreciate it. An edit of that type is definitely beyond what I can do.

Sonik.o.fan

Post by Sonik.o.fan »

I don't think that i can help here, because Gorman is already preparing sprites to help ya, but i will drop my version anyway
Sonik.o.fan

Post by Sonik.o.fan »

Sorry that it doesn't look really impressive, i just tried to make less 3d-ish version
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I think that already they look so much better than the model-rip flatness of what I posted. It's certainly much more impressive than what I could have done. It'll be interesting to see how Gorman's compare purely from a different approach/art styles perspective.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Meh! A couple of attempts at a pickup: one normal-ish Doom sized and one over-sized which could be scaled down. Both a bit scrappy.

Sonik.o.fan

Post by Sonik.o.fan »

Looks awesome! I would never call 'em bad or smth.
Your talent of making 3d ripoffs is very useful :D
Sonik.o.fan

Post by Sonik.o.fan »

wanted to edit it a bit, so it will look much simpler... meh
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Nice, thank you. :)

One of the things I find interesting about model rips (and quite often about weapons in general) is how the HUD view doesn't necessarily give the impression of how the weapon looks from another perspective (e.g. pickup sprite view).

For example, all the the rips in this thread come from the exact same model. However, if I'd only seen either the HUD or the pickup, I'm not sure that I would have expected the other to look how it does. I think that, maybe, that explains some of the popularity of angled weapons where it's possible to show off a bit of the side of the weapon in HUD view. (Although, personally, I much prefer centred view.)
Sonik.o.fan

Post by Sonik.o.fan »

Centered view forever :3:
Nash

Post by Nash »

In my eyes, centered weapons don't fully translate the true form of the object even with full 3D models in-game, or even real-life photos. The angled weapons make the objects look more obvious what they're meant to be. :)
Gorman Frebmane

Post by Gorman Frebmane »

Sorry for not being active much but stuff got in the way, but i have now time and work has started properly, i managed to do this still not finished though (btw i did this with a mouse)
Attachments
A little preview.
A little preview.
preview.png (9.97 KiB) Viewed 1191 times
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

That looks very nice indeed. Thank you. As I suspected, the contrast between your and Sonik.o.fan's art style is interesting: same problem with two quite differently styled solutions. Great stuff. :D

Nash wrote:The angled weapons make the objects look more obvious what they're meant to be. :)
While true, the angled-ness of them does my head in. I'm not saying that the Doom HUD weapon view is perfect (it isn't) but when you fire a weapon, you do generally centre it in your view. If you were to fire a weapon held like most angled sprites, you'd be firing diagonally across your field of view (and probably doing your arm muscles no good whatsoever).

IMO, probably the best compromise is something like the Strife assault rifle. When carrying a weapon (particularly a rifle-sized weapon) you would tend to hold it across yourself while walking/running but bring it up to the middle of your FOV to aim and fire.
BadMojo

Post by BadMojo »

Heres a rough job of the top half, can do the rest if your interested.

Return to “Requests”