Clink, erm, Sabreclaw non-explody death?

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Clink, erm, Sabreclaw non-explody death?

Post by Enjay »

Is anyone able to make a set of death animations for the Clink/Sabreclaw that just look like regular falling-down-dead frames rather than explody ones?
I've tried a couple of times without success (at least I wasn't happy with my result).

Here's the entire sprite sheet for reference (thanks to the spriter's resource) but it's really only replacements for the last 7 frames that I need. In fact, death frame 1 is the same as the front view of the pain frame just with the start of the explosion at his joints. So, the pain frame would work there. Frames 2 and 3 really just need a clean-up to remove the explosion and fill in the missing bits (that's where my attempts started to go wonky). Also, the final frame probably isn't far off what's needed either. So, it's really only frames 4 5 and 6 that need a lot of work - and those are where I really failed.

Thanks in advance to anyone who gives it a go. :)
Enjay

Re: Clink, erm, Sabreclaw non-explody death?

Post by Enjay »

I've managed to get this far (i.e. not very) with frames that I am OK with.

So, yeah, just the easy ones. As soon as the explosion takes over properly, I need to find/make too many body parts to fill in the gaps.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK, well, I've done what I can and it's not very good. :?

If anyone feels able to tidy up these frames and even add an extra one between the last two to make the animation smoother I'd be really grateful. As it stands, I'm not sure what I have is really good enough to be used anywhere. :(

MartinHowe

Post by MartinHowe »

Actually, I have been seeking this for some time - albeit for a project stuck in development hell for years :p Since the animations for death are fairly quick and likely people will be surrounded by monsters attacking them in the kind of maps AliensSabreclaws are used in, I doubt people will have much time to notice minor imperfections. Well done for even taking on this challenge at all :)

Perhaps there should be a prize for the most blatant rip-off of aliens in a non-aliens video game: candidates so far: Sabreclaws, Protector Drones :p
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

If you have a use for them, feel free to go ahead.

The request is still open for anyone who feels like improving them though. :)

MartinHowe wrote:Perhaps there should be a prize for the most blatant rip-off of aliens in a non-aliens video game: candidates so far: Sabreclaws, Protector Drones :p
Don't forget...

Even more blatant than the Sabreclaw. Pretty sure I remember an official document/website/something where the filename for the concept art for Korax was called something like alien.gif.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Persevere...

Borderline acceptable. It'll probably still need a bit of tidying (not happy with how the head moves, for example) but it's not as bad as it could have been.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I decided to mess around some more with the Clink sprites. Doing so reminded me just how many errors and artefacts of whatever method was used to create them (e.g. the tail has loads of gaps in it, especially in the attack frames). I caught some of the errors, but there will still be loads more to fix if someone really wanted to go to town on them.

Anyway, these are still a bit rough and ready but someone might find a use for them - at least as a starting point for tidying up.

Arm weapon replaced with a claw/hand:

Arm weapon replaced with a claw/hand and tail blade removed:

Modified non-explode death again:

De-weapon non-explode death:

Recoloured cyanish-blue-grey (not Heretic or any other game palette):

Feel free to take them if you think they might be of use to you.

Return to “Requests”