Translation of this short text

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Translation of this short text

Post by Enjay »

Can anyone fluent in Spanish, Portuguese, French and German please give me translations of the following text so it would sound reasonable to a native speaker?

I can do it with Google translate, but that would probably sound weird to a native.

Code: Select all

I didn't expect these people to treat us so well.
I have tried to warn the medic.  The monsters were not meant for here but they will kill everyone anyway.
She does not seem to understand me.
I know that it sounds a bit stilted even in English but I don't have much screen space for the message.

Thanks.
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Translation of this short test

Post by StroggVorbis »

German:
Ich rechnete nicht damit, dass diese Leute uns so gut behandeln.
Ich habe versucht, den Sanitäter zu warnen. Die Monster waren hierfür nicht bestimmt, aber sie werden trotzdem jeden töten.
Sie scheint mich nicht zu verstehen.

Edit: Meant for here or meant for her?
Enjay

Re: Translation of this short text

Post by Enjay »

Thank you. :)
Man, I love the look and sound of the German language.

The text in my code is correct. The story is that a space ship carrying demons crashed en-route to where it was meant to be going and so the demons ended up being released somewhere that they were not supposed to be. So "The monsters were not meant for here" is correct.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

DabbingSquidward wrote:German:
Die Monster waren hierfür nicht bestimmt
If the original text is correct in referring to a place ("here"), then it would be something like

Die Monster waren nicht für diesen Ort bestimmt
StroggVorbis
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by StroggVorbis »

Cherno wrote:
DabbingSquidward wrote:German:
Die Monster waren hierfür nicht bestimmt
If the original text is correct in referring to a place ("here"), then it would be something like

Die Monster waren nicht für diesen Ort bestimmt
Sounds better. Thought 'here' was a typo because I've never used it in this context. Literal translation is literal :P

Edit: @Enjay, did the ship crash on another planet? In that case, diesen Ort can be substituted with diese Gegend, diese Umgebung, diese Welt or diesen Planeten to name a few :D
drfrag
Vintage GZDoom Developer

Post by drfrag »

Hispanic:
No esperaba que esta gente nos tratara tan bien.
He intentado avisar a la medica. Los monstruos no fueron enviados aqui pero mataran a todos igualmente.
Ella no parece entenderme.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

The words are going to be spoken by the crew of the crashed ship (a multi-national ship - hence the different languages). That were heading for one place (who knows where? - I don't :lol: ) but ended up crashing on a remote planet with an established base and releasing their cargo of caged demons onto the planet and, consequently, the base was attacked.

Thanks all for the help. :D
Gez

Post by Gez »

Not entirely literal translation, as I tried to read between the lines so as to rephrase things in a more natural way, so e.g. the first sentence would back translate as something like "I didn't expect such a warm welcome", and the third as "the monsters were to be sent elsewhere, but they'll kill everyone here". I can provide a more literal translation if you prefer.

Je ne m'attendais pas à être aussi bien reçu.
J'ai essayé d'avertir le docteur. Les monstres devaient être envoyés ailleurs, mais ils vont tuer tout le monde ici.
Elle n'a pas l'air de comprendre ce que je lui dit.
Kostov

Post by Kostov »

If you need Russian just in case, I asked a translator friend of mine to help:

Code: Select all

Я не ждал от этих людей такого хорошего отношения.
Я пытался предупредить медика. Здесь никто не ждал этих монстров, но они всё равно всех убьют.
Похоже, она меня и не поняла.
Just one thing: we translated "The monsters were not meant for here" as "Nobody expected these monsters here". We're not quite sure what that meant.
Apeirogon

Post by Apeirogon »

Actually
Я не ожидал(ожидала if it is said by a woman)от этих людей такого хорошего отношения.
Я пытался(пыталась for same reason) предупредить медика. Хоть монстры и не 'приспособлены для местных условий' or 'предназначались для этих мест' (if context for "The monsters were not meant for here" is "monster were transported from A to B, but accidentally moved to С") , они всё равно всех убьют.
Похоже она меня так и не поняла.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks Gez, your natural-sounding variation is perfect, thank you.

I guess I'll have to include Russian now too. Thanks Undead. :D
Apeirogon wrote: (if context for "The monsters were not meant for here" is "monster were transported from A to B, but accidentally moved to С")
Yup, that's pretty much the context. The monsters were meant to be getting transported from A to B but the ship went off course (probably because of the monsters escaping onboard or something) and it ended up crashing at point C instead.
irukanjji

Post by irukanjji »

Portuguese or Português:

"Eu não esperava que estas pessoas nos tratassem tão bem.
Eu tentei avisar o médico. Os monstros não foram destinados para aqui, mas eles vão matar toda a gente, de qualquer maneira.
Ela parece não me entender."
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I'd like to add that the word "monster", regardless of language, is an interesting choice here. In typical sci-fi stories, you rarely hear about monsters but rather rather a more scientific-sounding term like "creatures". Take Aliens (1986) for example: The only character using the word "monsters" is Newt, the little girl, which is fitting since the word monster is often associated with fantasy stories or the "monster under the bed". All other characters use words like creatures or xenomorphs.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I get where you are coming from.

The lines are meant to be spoken by the crew of the crashed ship. They were probably forced to work against their will or perhaps they were simply unaware of the nature of the cargo that they were transporting.

I chose the word "monsters" to be the crew's reaction to discovering what was on their ship and the fact that the "monsters" probably escaped and terrorised the ship before it eventually crashed.

To the people in charge of the transport, the cargo probably was called "aliens" or "specimens" etc but to the crew who discovered the nature of their cargo too late, they are monsters - an unknown bunch of creatures terrorising the crew and pouncing on them at any moment. I specifically had adult versions of "Newt" in mind actually. Well spotted. :D

And thanks for the translation irukanjji. :thumb:
Vegeta(dw)

Post by Vegeta(dw) »

Spanish (the other translation has a little error)

No esperaba que estas personas nos trataran tan bien.
Intenté advertir a la médica. Los monstruos no eran para aquí pero aún así matarán a todos.
Ella no parece entenderme.
Last edited by Vegeta(dw) on Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Requests”