No-Gear-Level script

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Vostyok
Preferred Pronouns: No Preference

No-Gear-Level script

Post by Vostyok »

Howzah.

I'm in need of simple script to be run on a map that removes the player's inventory but retains it or spawns it somewhere else, so that they can later retrieve it. Parallels would be Dark Forces, where you get all your stuff back in one go by finding the "gear" object after escaping the arena, or Deus Ex, which seemingly pulled your inventory out piece by piece and arranged it on shelves for you to collect.

I can already see a couple of ways of doing this:

i) The long-ass method where an OPEN/ENTER script does a barrage of CheckInventory("") and TakeInventory scripts, spawning each item in your inventory in a specific spot. Lol, I can imagine COOP games where That Guy who always runs ahead grabs everyone's guns and ammo before they can find it. I can also imagine this being an ass to write.

ii) A dummy "arenafist" weapon ACTOR that restricts switching to other weapons until removed by a line/pickup script, with some other method to remove Inventory bar items and armor.

iii) Something incredibly slick and compact done in Zscript which I am unaware of because I still haven't switched to Zscript use yet. Old dog, new tricks. And what.

Please, if anyone could offer any advice or pointers, it would be greatly appreciated.

Shalom

Return to “Requests”