Funeral Priest

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Enjay

Funeral Priest

Post by Enjay »

I don't suppose anyone has, or would be willing to make a sprite of a priest conducting a funeral would they?

Preferably it would be something that ties in with the Strife style (Macil's head would be fine for the character's head).

I just plan on using it as a decoration in a custscene, so it doesn't need to be a full walking (etc) sprite. I could even get away with a single angle sprite, though 5 angles would be better. Just a priest standing in robes, preferably with a bible in his hands and wearing the kind of robes that a priest would do at a funeral.

Denomination, colour of robes etc would not be that important. It just needs to look like a priest/reverend/minister at funereal.

Something like any of these guys in sprite form would be ideal
Image Image Image

Doesn't even need to be male. A female would be fine.

If no one has anything like that, there might be something that I could frankensprite together, if I was pointed towards some decent donor sprites. So, if anyone knows of something like that, that would also get me started.

Other than that, I could try doing it from scratch, but it would likely suck.
gramps

Re: Funeral Priest

Post by gramps »

Out of curiosity, I frankensprited Macil's head, hands and feet onto the heretic wizard (the bottom of the robe looks less tattered in the pain frame).
macwiz.png
macwiz.png (2.99 KiB) Viewed 923 times
Didn't change anything else in this version, but I thought cranking brightness and contrast up on the robe part looked a little more strife-ish (managed to get it almost white, but with dark details). With a little pixel work something like this might look alright.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Oooh, that's a good idea. I never even thought about using the Heretic wizards. I might well be able to cobble something together that works from that. :)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

OK, first attempt.

I decided to use the Hexen bishops because I thought that their robes could convert to real-life priest robes a bit more easily.

I say "first attempt" but I'm unlikely to get it much better. If anyone feels that they can improve on it, you are more than welcome to do so and I would certainly appreciate it. The crucifix pendant, in particular, looks a bit naff to me.
Gez

Post by Gez »

Looking at your photo references, they don't have crucifix pendants, just crucifix embroidered on their robes or sash/scarf/thing.

I think it's good enough as-is, though.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

You're right about the crucifixes. I googled a few images but looking back at them, it seems that most of the ones with pendants are fancy dress costumes. :lol: Although, the pope does seem to tend to wear one. But this guy is not meant to be the pope anyway.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

A little shorter, a little fatter, a lot balder, two hands on the good book, no chain...

or maybe skinnier beardier and gingerier*

Some of these words might be made up. :P
gramps

Post by gramps »

Not bad! His other hands read a lot better on your last post, and better shading under the sleeves (I like bald one best).

The cover of the book on the left side is the only thing I'd change, kinda smudges into the pages a bit and trails off into brown range.

Maybe brown shoes would be worth trying out, not a big deal but the black shoes seem maybe a bit too dark for the rest of the outfit.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Thanks for the critque. I was struggling with the pages on the left. I've done and undone them a few times. I'll try again though.

Brown shoes - good call. I'll try that too. I had tried lighter coloured trousers/pants but because they don't actually have many pixels (especially on the bald one) it looked a bit like I'd messed up the shadow of the robe instead - but with brown shoes (instead of black), it might work to have the trousers a bit lighter too.

[edit]
Better?

Tried to make him less wall-eyed too.
gramps

Post by gramps »

I'm no artist, but I'd say you nailed it there.
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

I'm certainly happy enough with how he looks now. Thanks for your input (and Gez). Without that, I'd probably have stopped at the first attempt.

Return to “Requests”