Request edit sky texture

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
NGX

Request edit sky texture

Post by NGX »

Could someone edit this sky texture?

I'd like to make a skybox with 4 sides to it, with the mountains only on one side, so I need help for the mountains to gradually sink towards the ground at the ends of one side, and that the clouds and sky align on the remaining sides.

If additionally you could wrap it in a functional Wad file it would be of tremendous help.
NGX

Re: Request edit sky texture

Post by NGX »

Nevermind, I guess.. I'll just try a new sky texture and in higher-resolution while I'm at it.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

You might get the attention you're after now that this is in the Requests forum.
Mr.Enchanter

Post by Mr.Enchanter »

mtnsky1c.png
mtnsky1.png
NGX

Post by NGX »

wildweasel wrote:You might get the attention you're after now that this is in the Requests forum.
Thanks. Sorry about that.
Mr.Enchanter wrote:
mtnsky1c.png
mtnsky1.png
Thank you Enchanter. I will try this out. Much appreciated!
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

Just in case you don't know NGX, Mr. Enchanter's files are 512 wide. So adding them together makes them 1024 (obviously). This is something of a magic number for Doom skies because it means they will wrap around once with no repeats visible in the game. The standard 256 skies are shown 4 times in the sky, a 512 one will be shown twice but a 1024 one wraps around perfectly.

A weird thing about skies that you may, or may not, be aware of is that for some reason they appear reversed in game too. Not sure why. It's just always been like that. So the steeper fall-off of the mountain will be on the right in game even though it's on the left in the image.
NGX

Post by NGX »

Hey Enjay! Thanks for the clarification, I believe I have noticed the sky being mirrored but never stopped to think about it :)
I combined them into a neat 1024 graphic and indeed it wraps around the whole space perfectly.

Thanks again Mr. Enchanter :)

Return to “Requests”