[Request] Metroid visor graphic help?

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
doomfiend

[Request] Metroid visor graphic help?

Post by doomfiend »

Hey everyone in the W.I.P thread some of you may have seen my Super metroid teaser images of my unannounced project called "project Torizo" taking place in Crateria, as of right now I plan to do all the main areas of Super metroid and a couple individuals have been ever so kind to send me assets I can use. Inspired to continue with my project, I would like to create a hud for immersion purposes over the "status bar hud"
Currently for the full screen hud I have the following which works really nicely, you have your health displayed, the Armour bar is going to be re-purposed to a charge beam indicator (if I get a working metroid prime armcannon model + animations)

and also has Energy tank graphics displayed underneath (right now they are using the Simply hard mod -"Reserve tanks" or other name for them a "Rez" which is essentially a 1-up if you were to take a blow that would otherwise kill you, it would reset you back to 100 hp with 3 seconds of invulnerability

Here is the hud I plan to use for Full screen; to make things easier one does not need to include the player icon (green earthworm jim atom) in the top left corner in the visor hud
[This version is the old hud that was meant for Doom gameplay]
Spoiler:
Here is a slightly updated 'concept'version, Its simpler in design but includes 12 Energy tank slots rough draft of the numbers that were very crudely drawn on the image its self
The empty bar beneath the Armour bar is the new "accel" charge bar / heat bar, upon charging up your beam the bar will fill up. the heat comes into play if one starts spamming their normal shots as they will need to cool down, more powerful the beam the quicker it heats up. ignore the lack of the ammo section of the hud, once you obtain Missiles / the sub section will show up on the hud

Heres the Status bar hud I'm going to use for those who love a bit of immersion

Now for the Visor hud above I'm hoping someone could help me using the exsisting graphics and do something similar to the following image taken from Metroid Other M

Here is the following assets with a fully functioning 'fullscreen' hud. unfortunately the REZ item is not included in the pk3 so those grey bars will not light up unless if one were to make a custominventory called "Extralifethingy"
https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8pi533z1gy9way/HUD.zip?dl=0
Cherno

Re: [Request] Metroid visor graphic help?

Post by Cherno »

What are you after in particular? The "glow" around the edges, the brackets on the left and right indicating range, angle or something like that, or the info section on hte upper left? All of these?
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

you know my Full screen hud I already made in the example shots above? well Im hoping to curve it like the Metroid other M image, where it looks like its part of samus' visor display if that makes sense.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Sound like you just need the right graphics and offsets in your HUD code. The only thing that I don't know how to do is the energy bar since it would hafve to be made up of single pixels pieces where each x pixel value needs a specific y value to get teh right curve.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

having a curved energy bar is actually an easy thing to do, as I just expand the canvas' alpha layer outward vertically to allow room for the energy bar, Sbarinfo handles the rest when it comes to filling up the bar its self. its just the base hud I gotta figure out how to skew properly What I might end up doing at this rate is ripping the metroid other M hud entirely and calling it a day. my only editing program atm is Paint.net I think I could get gimp but im very unfamiliar with it, if there was a plugin that could curve the hud I've made with ease. I could easily tweak what I need done my self.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I quickly tried curving the hud bar but with the low resolution involved tthe end result looks very bad without a lot of cleanup. It might be better to just do it by hand.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

I was gonna use the Hires folder so I can upscale the hud by 4x to try and help with that. what I might end up doing is making an entirely new hud based on Metroid prime for the visor hud honestly and keep the hud I currently have for full screen

Edit, I ended up looking back at the metroid prime hud and I've come up with a solution... (kind of) I thought why not keep my fullscreen hud as a more sleek design for fullscreen users and for the visor hud go with a prime style kind of thing where
the energy bar is minimalistic and centered on the heads up display? maybe have a ammo pool displayed on the side as a vertical bar like Prime 2 on the Right side of the screen.

Here's a proof of concept, it may be rather small and I might have to scale the graphics up a bit so its easier to see how many E-tanks you have filled. if I manage to come up with a design I like I might change the [Request] to [Solved]

Return to “Requests”