[Request] Full Rotations for custom enemies

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Zenon
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[Request] Full Rotations for custom enemies

Post by Zenon »

Now that we have all the rotations for the Marine, Imp and Zombie sprites, wouldn't it be a good idea to start applying them to all the custom enemies that have been made over the years (like from Realm667, etc.)?

Also, I think we need to make sure that, from now on, all new enemies that fit the above criteria must have all rotations
Reactor

Re: [Request] Full Rotations for custom enemies

Post by Reactor »

Yuh, it would be a really good idea, but there are might few able artists who has THAT many free time :S There were also lots of ambitious HD-Doom monster projects, but eventually all of them were scrapped. If only I had the time...

Also, not ALL enemies must have full rotations. I have several hostile entities which have front sprites only. Uh, kind like Wolfenstein 3D bosses. These are special enemies used on special locations, making full rotations for them would just eat up more time and would be totally pointless.
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

Reactor wrote:Not ALL enemies must have full rotations.
For sure, I just thought it'd be cool to have right facing rotations for the zombies and such, as if we already had them in the first place
Pixel Eater

Location: In between the Moon and you, between the buried and me.

Post by Pixel Eater »

Didn't Romero release the authentically mirrored Zombie sprites? Were they ever used?
Personally I think a bird's eye rotation is more called for and requires less spriting work (though tricky). But I don't know if the engine could handle it.

Edité: This link mentions the existence of new rotations on page two and has a before and after for the DooM Marine sprites :D
So they're out there, I just can't seem to find them.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Aha! Or eureka! Or huzzah or something/whatever: Doomworld post
Zenon

Post by Zenon »

Yes, These are exactly what I'm talking about
We have custom monsters that were made before these were released to the Doom Community
Now that we have the full set of rotations, wouldn't our custom monsters be considered somewhat unfinished since they still have mirrored sprites?
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

Oh I think I see what you mean- combine the alternate skins of the stock monsters with their new rotations. Not to make new angles for all the 'original concept' monster types out there?
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

One that really stuck out to me when I did my Waterlab map was the one-armed zombie scientist. Which arm was missing kept changing sides as he walked left and right. :lol: I fixed it for Waterlab (and I did stuff tweaks to a few other sprites too) but I'm not sure any of what I did is up to standard for an "official" update to an existing enemy.
Pixel Eater

Post by Pixel Eater »

I thought I'd take a crack at melding the new rotations with a skin variant from Smooth DooM but they seem to already have all angles covered. Total respect for the work that went into it!

I played some Waterlab a little while ago, it was very atmospheric. I didn't see anything that detracted from that 8-)
Amuscaria

Post by Amuscaria »

The Doom Alpha has all 8 rotations for the Imp's attack, but they aren't full cleaned up. It's where I got the attack frames for HF's Devil.

Return to “Requests”