[request] Full rip of Duke Nukem 3D sprites

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
arachnotron

[request] Full rip of Duke Nukem 3D sprites

Post by arachnotron »

I find it insane that there isn't a full rip of all the amazing artwork done on DN3D. DN3D always had anything you needed. I wonder why there isn't a proper rip of all the sprites. I can only find a couple of sprites scattered here and there on Realm667.

I would also like the sprites from Blood, Shadow Warrior and Redneck Rampage. Imagine if we had these sprites, we could have a ton of stuff to work with. I already got plenty of textures from these games mostly, but I have a hard time finding sprites that would fit in within the aesthetics of a 1994 game and all these Build Engine games do the job.

I dont know how to use the programs to get this done. I just know how to use map editors. If someone knows how to get this done quickly it would be awesome to download the thing ready to use.
Reactor

Re: [request] Full rip of Duke Nukem 3D sprites

Post by Reactor »

[sigh] Looks like you shall not give up your desire on those Duke Nukem 3D sprites. So be it then. I shall rip the whole stash for you, if that's your wish. Just gimme a few days, I have all the tools I need, and I guess I can put my project aside for the time I rip the juicy stuff for you. Mind you however, you shall still need a programmer for them, as I can only grab the graphics for you.

I don't dare to say anything about Blood, Shadow Warrior or Redneck Rampage yet, but maybe, just maybe, I shall have luck with them. After all, I managed to crack open the data files of the relentlessly difficult H.U.R.L. game...
arachnotron

Post by arachnotron »

Thanks. Im only interested on the decorative prop sprites so don't bother with monsters or anything else. I will try to program some of the sprites that need some action like the trashcan exploding when you shoot it by looking at the realm667 stuff. Actually the trashcan and toilets are already uploaded there and work.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Okay, the work is done. Here it is - there you go:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3QNHp ... sp=sharing

About Blood, Redneck Rampage and the others...if you want me to crack them open, you shall need to give me their resource file. I have neither of these games, therefore you ought to supply me with the file which holds the static objects of each these games.
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Post by wildweasel »

Or just open the resource file yourself using SLADE and browse through the TILES***.ART files. If it's not already parted out and categorized, there's not much point involving a middle-man.
arachnotron

Post by arachnotron »

Reactor wrote:Okay, the work is done. Here it is - there you go:

About Blood, Redneck Rampage and the others...if you want me to crack them open, you shall need to give me their resource file. I have neither of these games, therefore you ought to supply me with the file which holds the static objects of each these games.
Thanks a lot mate :D
wildweasel wrote:Or just open the resource file yourself using SLADE and browse through the TILES***.ART files. If it's not already parted out and categorized, there's not much point involving a middle-man.
But don't you need to convert the palettes too and go one by one, resize them and so on? I tried to do this back in the day and it was a pain in the ass and gave up.

I will try to get these sprites working, like I said, with trashcans exploding when shoot, make the animdefs file etc.
arachnotron

Post by arachnotron »

arachnotron wrote:
Reactor wrote:Okay, the work is done. Here it is - there you go:

Thanks a lot mate :D
wildweasel wrote:Or just open the resource file yourself using SLADE and browse through the TILES***.ART files. If it's not already parted out and categorized, there's not much point involving a middle-man.
But don't you need to convert the palettes too and go one by one, resize them and so on? I tried to do this back in the day and it was a pain in the ass and gave up.

I will try to get these sprites working, like I said, with trashcans exploding when shoot, make the animdefs file etc.
Edit: I checked your file and the sprites have a black background. When I tried placing them in a pk3 and then in a map, they are surrounded by black squares... how to fix this?
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Well, as far as I know, there are two possible ways to fix this:

- Set the black colour as the transparent colour. I ripped the stuff for you as they were, and for Duke Nukem 3D, this colour appears to symbolize "nothing". There is a way to tell the program which colour to treat as transparent, but I haven't the slightest idea, how...

- Manually remove the blackness and replace them with transparency. Paint.NET does this job perfectly, albeit this shall be a long and tedious work. Uh, you must also save them as PNGs, as BMP files are gigantic steamin' piles of turd and can't handle transparency. If you sit above it for, ummm, 2 hours, it can be done. I know - I also make animations, and I finished 1100 frames under 3 hours. Well...don't look at me...I was only told to rip the pictures, not to process them :D :P
arachnotron

Post by arachnotron »

Yep, that's going to be a PITA.

Anyone knows if there is a pack for voxels sprites of DN3D? kind of like the voxel pack for Doom. If I gathered enough voxels, I would just use voxels for my project. They look so much better and maintain the retro look.

Return to “Requests”