[Super metroid] Textures for Doom? (True colour)

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
doomfiend

[Super metroid] Textures for Doom? (True colour)

Post by doomfiend »

Hey guys, I've still been working on slowly on my 64 map megawad, (10 of them are secret levels scattered among the zones) yes, zones as this is slightly still inspired by Super sonic Doom.
Anyways, I was thinking on making a Super metroid textured map for one of the secret levels and was hoping someone would rip the textures and Doomify them? as in make the textures work for a 3D world, as the textures were built for a 2D Game
any help would be appreciated.
Cherno

Re: [Super metroid] Textures for Doom? (True colour)

Post by Cherno »

I started to built a map inspired by Super Metroid a while ago, just for fun. I created a sky texture as well as some rock walls and floors, using the Crateria tile graphics as a base. I also ripped the green alien plants and made them into sprites, the same goes for random rocks and stalagmites and stalagtites. I could upload everything tomorrow, maybe it is some help.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

Here is a pk3 with the Super Metroid stuff I made. Included is a small sample map consisting of one medium-sized cave that shows how I envisioned the assets to be used. The sprites need brightness adjusting but otherwise I think it looks ok. Note that the textures are at half resolution on purpose, to pay homage to SM's SNES display roots (and to make creating textures and sprites easier ;) )

https://www.dropbox.com/s/u0981x86k4kku ... o.pk3?dl=0
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

Oh wow this is perfect. when I get a set amount done I'll post screen caps.
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

I just noticed that I forgot to acutally implement to sky texture. It's present in the textures folder in the pk3 but the map doesn't use it so you'd have to write a MAPINFO for it or rename it so it overwrites the default Doom2 sky texture.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

That part is easy so no worries. say, you wouldn't happen to have Green / Red brinstar on hand do you?
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

No, but the AM tile sheets are online so it's easy to do.
doomfiend

Post by doomfiend »

This is true. what I was planning on doing with this map is also using a time travel gimmick,
For example lets say theres 3 time zones that these machines placed in specific spots will take you too, Future, Present time, and past. like that from Sonic CD.
you'll start off in the present time of course, and theres an entrance to the cave you cannot get to. you you'll have to go to the past where the rocks haven't fallen down yet. then maybe the 2nd puzzle would be find a future machine where theres a bunch of acid water blocking your way so you gotta go to the future where its all dried up / drained?
Cherno

Post by Cherno »

More Crateria textures & Sprites:

crateria1.zip

I resized the old textures to 1x pixel size and added some more textures for the mushroom and ruin sections, plus sprites for the mushrooms and enemy spawners. That should be all for the non-tech rooms.

Return to “Requests”