[Request] Funny sign ideas

Requests go in THIS forum!
Forum rules
The Projects forums are only for projects. If you are asking questions about a project, either find that project's thread, or start a thread in the General section instead.

Got a cool project idea but nothing else? Put it in the project ideas thread instead!

Projects for any Doom-based engine (especially 3DGE) are perfectly acceptable here too.

Please read the full rules for more details.
Reactor

[Request] Funny sign ideas

Post by Reactor »

Today I noticed that I'm quite short on sign textures. I've assigned Zsole to the task a few days ago, and we did churn out some funny notices and sign ideas, though I still feel it'll be mighty few. To avoid re-using the same signs over and over again,I shall require some further ideas for humorous notices and warning signs. They can be related to common services, warnings, or industrial stuff as well, it's your choice. Here are some finished ones below as good examples.
Attachments
Oh, you DO want to dislodge those magma tubes...!!!
Oh, you DO want to dislodge those magma tubes...!!!
blood

Re: [Request] Funny sign ideas

Post by blood »

Nice pictures there, may I ask what program you used for them?
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Sure, it's no secret. You might be surprised, but mostly MSPaint and IrfanView. I photographed various signs around Island's Beauty and Miskolc (the city) in enormous size, used MSPaint to cut blank sections of the sign, and overplastered the writings with that - you can even notice it here and there if you enlarge the sign. As for the writings, again, MSPaint, and various font types.
IrfanView is important to make necessary blurs and for resizing (do not apply "sharpen" though). Paint.NET may also help big time removing the shitcrap around the sign on the photo, and applying the transparent colour for signs which have rounded edges.
kodi

Post by kodi »

Funny advertisement, PSA or propaganda posters are always a blast to make. You can find a lot of inspiration for those by googling top ten lists and such.
One such sign (for a led screen) I made for a guy on the forums:
Spoiler:
Humorous pictograms are always great as well, like the "WHEEE!!" one in your image.
You can also try using mundane signs in amusing ways, like the "NO PARKING" one near the diagonally parked tiger tank in BoA :twisted:
Nevander

Post by Nevander »

That LED sign just destroyed my eyes. :lol:
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Great ideas so far :) I'm already done with some of them...
Funny pictograms are harder, but I'll try to focus on those. I just don't seem to have any other fancy ideas.
Attachments
More humorous notices
More humorous notices
FunnySign2.PNG (162.97 KiB) Viewed 1322 times
Viscra Maelstrom

Post by Viscra Maelstrom »

maybe something to poke fun of how keycards and power-ups are almost always trapped in recent PWADs? something like "Caution: Removal of valuables will result in impending death.", "Don't even think about it." or "Danger: Suspcious Item Placement!" possibly styled so it fits in with regular Doom textures.
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Neat idea :) I also like to trap goodies and collectibles here and there, so I might churn out signs, poking fun on monster closets and other nasty traps.
jpalomo

Post by jpalomo »

If I remember right, there were a bunch in the custom textures thread. I'll see if I can find them.
Edit:
It starts on page 7: http://forum.zdoom.org/viewtopic.php?f= ... 90#p603627
There are more in the next few pages.
kodi

Post by kodi »

One of those wall-mounted fire extinguisher cases, open and with the contour of a shotgun on the inside. "IN CASE OF DEMONS"
Reactor

Post by Reactor »

I found the pictograms :) graphics and palettes aren't a problem since I shall use GZDoom. I saw some yummy stuff, I'll try to re-create them. The wall weapon locker idea is also great, I just have the right sign template to use it.
Currently I'm trying to figure out some train-related funny signs, but it's not easy.
Wiw
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by Wiw »

Dude, I totally want to get in on this too! I know a place where there's a couple of suggestions here. - or is that being too stupid?
Jimmy

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Post by Jimmy »

Reactor

Post by Reactor »

Wiw wrote:Dude, I totally want to get in on this too! I know a place where there's a couple of suggestions here. - or is that being too stupid?
I found some useful funny warnings there :) some of these I can even use at the rail station level.
"Remove wrapper, open mouth, insert muffin, eat." <~~~ this was hilarious :D what did they expect, what might someone do with a muffin? Hammer a nail?
NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by NeuralStunner »

NO TRESPASSING
Violators will be beaten, shot and stabbed
Survivors will be prosecuted
My favorite technique is to make a sign that looks normal at a glance, but is subtly wrong. "DANGER - KECK OFF", "MEN WANKING", etc.

Or just be silly: A "STOP AHEAD" sign, followed by a large decapitated head lying in the middle of the road.

Return to “Requests”