Clip Middle Texture flag not working with skies in OpenGL

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
whirledtsar

Clip Middle Texture flag not working with skies in OpenGL

Post by whirledtsar »

What it says on the tin. The UDMF line flag Clip Middle Texture doesn't work in the hardware renderers (I tested in 4.3.3 with OpenGL, Vulkan, & SoftPoly). Lines' midtextures extend into the sky above the actual ceiling height of their sector, until the texture's height is reached. In the software renderer, theyre cut off at ceiling height as they should be.
Enjay

Re: Clip Middle Texture flag not working with skies in OpenG

Post by Enjay »

I'm not seeing exactly what you describe.

Hardware:

As you say, the textures are drawn up into the sky. Texture 3 (from the left) is the one to look at here.

But, in software:

The only difference is that texture 1 is drawn into the floor (as I would expect - this difference between SW and HW is well known). However, texture 3 is the same in SW and HW (which is different to the report).

FWiW, put a ceiling on it and...

Hardware:

Software:

And, again, the differences between SW and HW are just the expected ones.

Test map attached that shows all of the above.
Attachments
Texy.zip
(1.33 KiB) Downloaded 144 times
whirledtsar

Re: Clip Middle Texture flag not working with skies in OpenG

Post by whirledtsar »

Comparison shots to illustrate my issue: https://imgur.com/a/SHWJzHk

Top is software (vines clipped at ceiling), bottom is hardware (vines drawn above ceiling). I noticed now that software actually changes behavior depending on how close you are/what angle you view it at, oddly. Like when i got close to it, it rendered like in the bottom screenshot.

Return to “OpenGL Renderer Bugs”