Dynamic Light Model Weirdness

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Dynamic Light Model Weirdness

Post by Major Cooke »

Attached is a demo file of a map object I took from SUPERNatural and turned it into a model.

When loading up the game, every time the bobbing lights reach the top of their bobbing, the entire tower will rotate 90 degrees immediately and turn.... and this is where things start to get a little nutty. The "shape" or "direction" of the GL lights also changes and gets all sorts of weird, like it's partly a spot light, though it's simply an attenuated point light.

For the record, made sure this model was as clean as possible, ensuring there were only tris and quads that are clean all over. If needed I can supply the model too, in .blend format.
Attachments
ModelBug.pk3
Start on MAP01 and step back.
(212.74 KiB) Downloaded 207 times
Major Cooke
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him

Re: Dynamic Light Model Weirdness

Post by Major Cooke »

After correcting the normals and everything, the model still presents the weird 'direction' stuff that's occurring with the light as if it's a spot light.

But when I exported it as an .obj instead of .md3, everything changed and it became spot on, looking correct. Strange...
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Dynamic Light Model Weirdness

Post by Marisa the Magician »

The lighting looks fine, but apparently it's SSAO that goes all screwy. I'm assuming that md3 exports with broken normals.

Return to “OpenGL Renderer Bugs”