Midtextures on slopes bleed to floor

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
Xane123
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Midtextures on slopes bleed to floor

Post by Xane123 »

I'm unsure of how to describe this visual error any other way. Basically, if a midtexture is floating over a floor slope, the side of the linedef that is on the outside of the slope will have the lowest pixel of the midtexture "bleed" to the ground.
This isn't correct-looking!
This isn't correct-looking!
This glitch doesn't occur on the other side of the linedef or ceiling-based slopes.
This glitch doesn't occur on the other side of the linedef or ceiling-based slopes.
Additionally, the software renderer doesn't have this bug. It's been in GZDoom for many versions, though. Whatever build I used from ~March 2016 before I updated my TC's modified engine didn't have this bug, so it appeared during the "floatification" or something, I assume.

Here's the test map that demonstrates this oddity:
test-texglitch.wad
Test WAD file; Look at the slope in front of you and notice how the bottom pixels of the midtex expand to the floor.
(4.71 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
_mental_

Re: Midtextures on slopes bleed to floor

Post by _mental_ »

The maps is rendered identically in ZDoom 2.8.1 and GZDoom 3.2.4 (screenshot is from the latter):
Screenshot_Doom_20171222_173724.jpg
Honestly it's quite hard for me figure out how it's related to screenshots you posted.
Xane123
Graphics Processor: nVidia (Modern GZDoom)

Post by Xane123 »

I never bothered actually testing it, it seems; Loading Doom 2's IWAD over my game's data, I can see the textures and they look just as fine as in your screenshot. Oddly, even my fence texture looks fine there now, and I don't think my game engine was even updated since this topic was created!

However, the oddity still occurs in my game/TC's levels. If you want to see a place where it occurs guaranteed, download this and load all of them over Doom or Doom 2 then visit map AREA1. Exit the house and choose "underground" and you'll see the glitchy fence texture down there somewhere.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

I'm sorry, but I fail to see the point of that demo WAD as it neithrt shows any glitch nor has any relation to the screenshots.
As things stand, there's nothing to do here so I'm just closing the report.

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”