Textures Bug (OpenGL)

Bugs that have been investigated and resolved somehow.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please don't bump threads here if you have a problem - it will often be forgotten about if you do. Instead, make a new thread here.
COOL_IRON

Textures bug (OpenGL)

Post by COOL_IRON »

Hi everyone! I was playing GZDoom on my Mac and discovered this bug. What could possibly be wrong with this textures?
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Textures bug (OpenGL)

Post by wildweasel »

We are going to need a LOT more information.
  1. What are the hardware specs of the Mac you're running? CPU, video hardware, OS version?
  2. Which version of GZDoom? Give us the number, please, don't just say "the latest version."
  3. Can you show a screenshot of the bug in question?
COOL_IRON

Textures Bug (OpenGL)

Post by COOL_IRON »

Hi everyone! I was playing GZDoom on my Mac and discovered this bug. What could possibly be wrong with this textures?
Attachments
screen.jpg
wildweasel
Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Operating System Version (Optional): A lot of them
Graphics Processor: Not Listed

Re: Textures Bug (OpenGL)

Post by wildweasel »

(Note: I merged in a duplicate of the same topic.)

What WAD are you running? This may be a bug with the project (and combination with other files) and not with GZDoom.
COOL_IRON

Post by COOL_IRON »

wildweasel wrote:(Note: I merged in a duplicate of the same topic.)

What WAD are you running? This may be a bug with the project (and combination with other files) and not with GZDoom.
I am running doom2.wad and Don't Play With Hell - Black Edition mod
http://www.moddb.com/mods/dont-play-wit ... gue-x64-13
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

Most of wildweasel's questions were not answered :shrug:

While screenshot itself is fine this mod is not so famous and personally I have no idea where to find the location in question.
To be able to help we need to know things already asked with addition of map name and player coordinates (displayed on minimap or with idmypos CVAR set to 1).
COOL_IRON

Post by COOL_IRON »

_mental_ wrote:Most of wildweasel's questions were not answered :shrug:

While screenshot itself is fine this mod is not so famous and personally I have no idea where to find the location in question.
To be able to help we need to know things already asked with addition of map name and player coordinates (displayed on minimap or with idmypos CVAR set to 1).
Ok, here is the minimap. Unfortunately, there are no coordinates displayed on it. I don't know the name of the map, but it is level 1. In addition, these sprites are all over the map, and the game freezes if I am near them. This glitch only happens on macOS version of GZDoom. I tried to run this mod in Wine and these sprites are fine there,
Attachments
screen 2.jpg
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

*sigh* Once again:
wildweasel wrote:We are going to need a LOT more information.
  1. What are the hardware specs of the Mac you're running? CPU, video hardware, OS version?
  2. Which version of GZDoom? Give us the number, please, don't just say "the latest version."
The answers are pretty important. We don't ask questions just to reply something.

Could you please define 'freeze'? Did mean stuttering while playing or was the game become completely unresponsive?
Also, it's not quite correct to compare Windows executable running in Wine with native macOS one: most likely they use different render paths.
COOL_IRON

Post by COOL_IRON »

_mental_ wrote:*sigh* Once again:
wildweasel wrote:We are going to need a LOT more information.
The answers are pretty important. We don't ask questions just to reply something.

Could you please define 'freeze'? Did mean stuttering while playing or was the game become completely unresponsive?
Also, it's not quite correct to compare Windows executable running in Wine with native macOS one: most likely they use different render paths.
I guess you are right, so...
1).
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014)
Processor 3,5 GHz Intel Core i5
Ram 16 Gb 1600 MHz DDR3
Graphics AMD Radeon R9 M290X 2048 MB
macOS Sierra Version 10.12.6 (16G29)

2). GZDoom Version g.3.1.0 (I am 101% sure it's the latest one)

3). The game becomes VERY slow and practically unplayable, but it still runs at about 5 - 10 fps.

4). Well you know best. In addition, I also tried to run it on Windows VM and it's still slow due to limited resources (what a surprise), but these textures or better say sprites are quite ok.

Update: I forgot to mention that I run the Mac version of GZDoom instead of the .exe one from mod's archive with following parameters:

-file "/Users/user_name/Library/Application Support/gzdoom/Doom II - Don't play with Hell/BDBE_v3.1d.pk3" -file "/Users/user_name/Library/Application Support/gzdoom/Doom II - Don't play with Hell/brightmaps.pk3" -file "/Users/user_name/Library/Application Support/gzdoom/Doom II - Don't play with Hell/lights.pk3"

However, there are .dll files in archive, which I believe are some dynamic libraries. But Mac can't run these files. And adding them to -file parameters doesn't have any effect.
Are they important for something? If yes, how to make them (or maybe some alternatives) run on Mac?
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

The .dll files are not important. You've clearly figured out how to run the files that are in the archives themselves, so there should be no issue there.

In fact, I tend to not trust anything that comes with .dll or .exe files if I don't absolutely know where it came from first, and if I trust that source. And that's even inside a VM or using Wine.

Keep in mind that Wine exposes your entire system to an application with whatever permissions you run the application with, to that application.
XxMiltenXx
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Post by XxMiltenXx »

These trees use a shader effect to make them look as if they wave in the wind. The shader effect is called within:
"BDBE_v3.1d.pk3\actors.wad\GLDEFS"

and the shader itself is located in
"BDBE_v3.1d.pk3\Shaders\trees.shader"

I assume that the shader effect is causing that error on his mac, even thoguh it is odd that it runs normally via Wine.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

OpenGL on macOS has been a mess for ages and Apple seems to feel no inclination to fix it because they want to push Metal. This looks like a driver bug, unfortunately, where there's not much that can be done on the application's side.
COOL_IRON

Post by COOL_IRON »

XxMiltenXx wrote:These trees use a shader effect to make them look as if they wave in the wind. The shader effect is called within:
"BDBE_v3.1d.pk3\actors.wad\GLDEFS"

and the shader itself is located in
"BDBE_v3.1d.pk3\Shaders\trees.shader"

I assume that the shader effect is causing that error on his mac, even thoguh it is odd that it runs normally via Wine.
Ok, so is there a way to remove these shaders safely?
_mental_

Post by _mental_ »

I crafted a quick hack with simplified shaders. Load the attached file after all other files.
You will lose wavy effects on trees, grass and teleport fog but the game remains playable.

I have no idea how Apple managed to screw up things once again but it's something with noise2() GLSL function which lags like hell.
Just by commenting it performance returns back to normal.
Attachments
bdbe_simple_shaders.pk3
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
COOL_IRON

Post by COOL_IRON »

_mental_ wrote:I crafted a quick hack with simplified shaders. Load the attached file after all other files.
You will lose wavy effects on trees, grass and teleport fog but the game remains playable.

I have no idea how Apple managed to screw up things once again but it's something with noise2() GLSL function which lags like hell.
Just by commenting it performance returns back to normal.
Thank You! You are great!) Everything works fine now. Now I need to contact the developer and send him this solution. Thanks again!

Return to “Closed Bugs [GZDoom]”