Invisible weapon models in software if sprite doesn't exist

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Please make a new topic for every bug. Don't combine multiple bugs into a single topic. Thanks!
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Invisible weapon models in software if sprite doesn't exist

Post by Marisa the Magician »

Because I don't have the time to define hundreds of dummy sprites for all frames of animation I only really make ones for the first frame of spawn/ready. This causes no issues in hardware, but on software renderers, it won't draw at all and flood the console with "R_DrawPSprite: invalid sprite frame" errors.

I isolated part of my mod into this minimal example here.

Seems like renderer bails out immediately before checking if a model is being used.
Enjay

Re: Invisible weapon models in software if sprite doesn't ex

Post by Enjay »

While this does not address the potential bug, if you want a TEXTURES lump that defines a bunch of dummy sprites, feel free to use the following one. It defines around 600 sprites and could easily be extended with copy/paste and a quick bit of find/replace for any new names that were needed.
Attachments
texturesprite.pk3
(8.73 KiB) Downloaded 271 times
Marisa the Magician
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her
Operating System Version (Optional): (btw I use) Arch
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

Re: Invisible weapon models in software if sprite doesn't ex

Post by Marisa the Magician »

See, the irony here is that I was doing that before, but I stopped because it was just a hassle to generate them every time. :P

Return to “Classic ("Carmack") Software Renderer Bugs”