Problems with sky rendering

Moderator: Developers

Forum rules
Please construct and post a simple demo whenever possible for all bug reports. Please provide links to everything.

If you can include a wad demonstrating the problem, please do so. Bug reports that include fully-constructed demos have a much better chance of being investigated in a timely manner than those that don't.

Problems with sky rendering

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat May 05, 2018 3:38 am

It looks like r_skymode is not working anymore. No matter what its value is, the sky will always be drawn tiled and not fade out to the top.

In addition, the softpoly renderer's sky scaling is totally off for tall skies, it seems to compress everything into a virtual 128 pixel high image.

As a result of these issues, sky positioning is not possible right now for non-standard sky sizes because all renderers do it differently.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Re: Problems with sky rendering

Postby dpJudas » Sat May 05, 2018 4:45 am

Hmm, r_skymode is working fine on my computer.

About softpoly, the intention here was always to make it match the GL renderer - the skydome it uses is from there. Unfortunately I tied the fade to the texture UV coordinates, which turned out to be a really bad idea. It requires a change in the drawers and the vertex format to be fixed.
dpJudas

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat May 05, 2018 5:14 am

dpJudas wrote:Hmm, r_skymode is working fine on my computer.

Really? For me it always looks the same when using a 256 pixel tall sky.

dpJudas wrote:About softpoly, the intention here was always to make it match the GL renderer - the skydome it uses is from there. Unfortunately I tied the fade to the texture UV coordinates, which turned out to be a really bad idea. It requires a change in the drawers and the vertex format to be fixed.

I wasn't talking about the fade. Using a 256 pixel tall sky it gets squashed to roughly half the intended height. If you need test material, I could give you a few old compilation mods I made long ago with different skies which also use sky offsetting.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Postby dpJudas » Sat May 05, 2018 5:23 am

Graf Zahl wrote:Really? For me it always looks the same when using a 256 pixel tall sky.

Ah, I thought you meant the cvar wasn't working at all. It probably never worked with a 256 pixel tall sky then.

dpJudas wrote:I wasn't talking about the fade. Using a 256 pixel tall sky it gets squashed to roughly half the intended height. If you need test material, I could give you a few old compilation mods I made long ago with different skies which also use sky offsetting.

Sure, that sounds like it could be useful. I should be able to make the softpoly one match what the GL renderer does with a little effort, but I'm less optimistic about dealing with the classic software renderer. Its sky offsetting code is very convoluted.
dpJudas

Postby Graf Zahl » Sat May 05, 2018 5:30 am

dpJudas wrote:, but I'm less optimistic about dealing with the classic software renderer. Its sky offsetting code is very convoluted.

Indeed. As long as the y-offsetting looks roughly correct for 128, 200, 240 and 256 pixel tall skies with r_skymode 2 it should be ok. Sadly the hardware renderer has so copy some of that messed up offsetting to make it match what originally was shown.
I'll have a look through my list of mods and pick some with good skies to check this evening.
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom Developer

Return to Software Renderer Bugs