Adding Loading Screen

These are not rejected - but are not considered highly important right now.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Re: Adding Loading Screen

Post by Graf Zahl »

Progress bar would require some estimation on loading time, and that's not really doable.
For a simple loading popup you may try using Hexen's original feature using the "TELEICON" graphic being displayed in the center of the screen. That should work.
RockstarRaccoon

Post by RockstarRaccoon »

Graf Zahl wrote:Progress bar would require some estimation on loading time, and that's not really doable.
In the stuff I program, I have the progress bar take a step between every step of the loading process, so that it's showing that something has changed.
For a simple loading popup you may try using Hexen's original feature using the "TELEICON" graphic being displayed in the center of the screen. That should work.
Yeah, I forgot about that... I'll look into it...
Neonspider

Post by Neonspider »

Perhaps rather than a "bar", we can just have some animated graphic, or something that'd react to ANIMDEFs to indicate it hasn't frozen and is actually doing something? A project I'm working on uses 80's influenced computer terminals as a big design theme and I can think of some cool ideas that some sort of "loading" screen function would really work well with. (Of course this is just one project, so I don't rightly know how much this would be used by future projects.)
Graf Zahl

Post by Graf Zahl »

The main issue here is that all the loading takes place in the main thread so trying to add a loading bar would mean a massive amount of refactoring. Trying to do both in the same one will only slow down the loading process and create bad code.
Right now I'd rather refactor the renderer itself to allow multithreaded processing. This one has very low priority in comparison so I'm putting it on hold.
AFADoomer

Post by AFADoomer »

Sorry for bumping... But doesn't TELEICON only draw if the cluster of the map you're leaving is marked as a hub? ( I think that's what I'm seeing here?)

Perhaps a flag to enable drawing the TELEICON graphic on non-hub levels (or maybe setting D_DrawIcon via MAPINFO key) would be a decent compromise for the time being?

(Obviously, the renderer is still more important.)

Return to “On Hold Suggestions”