0000291: Add Supersampling Support

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

Blox

0000291: Add Supersampling Support

Post by Blox »

https://mantis.zdoom.org/view.php?id=291
We have multisampling and even a post-AA shader, yet we still don't have the most important member of the AA family!

Its main use lies in getting away with no texture filtering to get that "super sharp" look everyone seems to hate losing thanks to texture filtering, but without the sea of swimming pixels having no antialiasing nor texture filtering introduces.

Example:
No AA or texture filtering
Same, but with 2x2 supersampling

I'm sure some degenerates would find use for this funny niche.

Plain pixel mixing and integer factors (1x2, 3x2, whatever) of the original resolution would most likely do the trick, but in the off case that someone feels particularly fancy they could implement fancy downsizing kernels and have non-integer downscaling factors too.

Would be great to have this natively supported rather than having to resort to nvidia inspector for getting it with nvidia cards and specific settings for AMD cards.

Additional Information
"Supersampling" is what we call "render everything at X times horizontal resolution and Y times vertical resolution and then scale the resulting image down to our original resolution", for those who are curious.
fr1dd
Graphics Processor: ATI/AMD with Vulkan/Metal Support

Re: 0000291: Add Supersampling Support

Post by fr1dd »

I agree. I have always used Radeon control panel to override MSAA with supersampling in GZDoom to get rid of visible ''moving lines'' in textures, along fences, in trees and so on where FXAA is not even close.
But now with the new Vulkan support (which i'm very excited about as Radeon user) the supersampling override doesnt' work anymore.
Sinael

Post by Sinael »

SMAA would be nice too.
Rachael
Preferred Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Rachael »

Wow, this topic is old. It took a redundant bump for me to realize this really needs to be closed.
fr1dd wrote:I agree. I have always used Radeon control panel to override MSAA with supersampling in GZDoom to get rid of visible ''moving lines'' in textures, along fences, in trees and so on where FXAA is not even close.
But now with the new Vulkan support (which i'm very excited about as Radeon user) the supersampling override doesnt' work anymore.
You're going to have to open a thread in Tech Issues about this. We can't help you on feature suggestions threads. Supersampling is already in.
Sinael wrote:SMAA would be nice too.
Please don't bump other threads to suggest new features. Make a new thread. SSAA and SMAA are two VERY different things and they need separate threads, the only relationship they have with one another is that they are anti-aliasing techniques. The similarities end there, because when it comes to implementation of both features, neither of them will look anywhere remotely similar code-wise.

Return to “Closed Feature Suggestions [GZDoom]”