[Decorate] PushedSound Property

These are not rejected - but are not considered highly important right now.

Moderator: GZDoom Developers

NeuralStunner

Preferred Pronouns: He/Him
Graphics Processor: nVidia with Vulkan support

[Decorate] PushedSound Property

Post by NeuralStunner »

Quite simply, a sound for pushable actors to play when pushed. Ideally, it should "loop" while the actor is continually moved, though it'd be up to the modder to make sure the sound plays well.

Ideally, pushable actors would have a special state for being pushed (if present), modders could handle the playing of sounds themselves, and perform various other functions whenever the actor is moved. But that seems like a lot more of a pain to work with.
Enjay

Re: [Decorate] PushedSound Property

Post by Enjay »

For something like the scraping sound of a barrel being pushed across the floor presumably?
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Exactly. :)

Although that raises the question: Should it only play on floors? I don't think that would be bad, as I can't really think of a reason for it to play sounds in air. (And it would be odd if it scraped while, say, being pushed through water.)
Enjay

Post by Enjay »

the cases you identify certainly would be odd for a barrel (etc) to scrape but I'm sure, this community being as inventive as it is, someone sooner or later would want to do something where making a sound in those situations would be desirable. Perhaps some sort of additional customisability should be considered?
Xaser

Post by Xaser »

Some more customization might be nice. I can see situations arising where people might not want the sound to loop, either (e.g. having an initial 'bump' sound followed by silent movement).
NeuralStunner

Post by NeuralStunner »

Enjay wrote:[...] this community being as inventive as it is, someone sooner or later would want to do something where making a sound in those situations would be desirable. Perhaps some sort of additional customisability should be considered?
Okay okay, I get it. :P
Graf Zahl
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer
Lead GZDoom+Raze Developer

Post by Graf Zahl »

Having had a look at the code responsible, it is no problem to start a sound when a push occurs, but that's really as far as things can go here. The engine doesn't know any concept of 'continuous push'. So the question is, is it still useful like that?

Return to “On Hold Suggestions”